PDA

View Full Version : 1985 ATC 125M shifting issue

jeepvolks
05-04-2013, 09:37 PM
I've brought this machine back from the dead and really enjoy riding it. Since the first time I rode it, it's had an issue with shifting. The lever feels a little slack when shifting and sometimes it takes a couple of tries to get it into gear. Once it's in gear, it might hang up between gears when shifting and sometimes at high speeds, it comes out of gear for a few seconds at a time. Not sure if this can be solved with a clutch adjustment because the adjustment screw won't move after I loosen the nut. Any starting point for diagnosis would be great! I did the top end rebuild myself, but I've not been into the clutch/transmission area except for on a 92 Z50r.

Thanks!

Andy

Howdy
05-04-2013, 09:59 PM
I've brought this machine back from the dead and really enjoy riding it. Since the first time I rode it, it's had an issue with shifting. The lever feels a little slack when shifting and sometimes it takes a couple of tries to get it into gear. Once it's in gear, it might hang up between gears when shifting and sometimes at high speeds, it comes out of gear for a few seconds at a time. Not sure if this can be solved with a clutch adjustment because the adjustment nut won't move. Any starting point for diagnosis would be great! I did the top end rebuild myself, but I've not been into the clutch/transmission area except for on a 92 Z50r.

Thanks!

Andy

Hi Andy,
Very common problem on these. There is a current on going thread ( was actually only 6 threads down in this forum ): http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/155006-Another-Honda-ATC-125m-Transmission-Problem
Just a little FYI Faster Help: This site does have a search feature. Not knocking your posting or anything, it would just get you answers to your problem much faster.
Thanks
Howdy

jeepvolks
05-04-2013, 10:13 PM
Thanks Howdy!

tri again
05-04-2013, 10:19 PM
Have you seen the posts and pictures of the last day or so?
I can't really out do that post but keywords might be:
"125 shift" will get you there and / or "shift drum stopper"
a little 10 dollar wheel lever that indexes the shift position.
either loose bolt or bent..
welp?
let us know if you can't find it.
best to fix before it gets worse.