PDA

View Full Version : what should the stator/alternator put out?

jawalth6
05-04-2013, 10:51 PM
On a 1984 honda 200s what voltage should come out of the alternator wires when you pull it (not when its running)? Because i get 6v out of the yellow one and nothing out of the black/red one.

tri again
05-05-2013, 12:06 AM
I forget but have a sneaking suspicion that it's AC altho any reading is better than none.
can you click on:
service manual?

It has the ohm values etc to check stator windings in general.

Someone surely knows the output you should see.
One is for lights and one is for ignition as I understand it.

kb0nly
05-05-2013, 01:49 AM
Correct, the 200S is a AC only trike. There is no rectifier or regulator, the headlight and taillight bulbs act as a resistive load to the output, one bulb blows the voltage climbs the other one blows too.

If you want to measure it set a voltmeter to AC, put the red lead on the yellow wire and the black lead on the green wire, thats the lighting coil output. If you want to measure the ignition source coil output leave the black lead on the green and put the red lead on the black/red wire.

The voltage will vary, but the lighting output should be 10-20v depending on the lights being switched on, both bulbs good, etc. With the lights off, no load, you will see at least 20-30v AC on the yellow wire.

Same goes for the ignition output on the Black/Red wire, it depends on engine RPM as well. When trying to pull start it you won't see much, just a quick spike of voltage. The best way to test them in this situation is a test light so you can watch the test light pulse.

Manual is also on my server, link in sig below..

jawalth6
05-09-2013, 10:25 PM
Thanks. But I found out I only show voltage when the wires are plunged in. That's not normal. Why is that or does it matter?

Howdy
05-09-2013, 11:25 PM
The stators are best checked via ohms and not voltage.

Most common failer on these stators is the exciter coil.
The black w/red striped wire is best checked via ohm meter. Best reading should be between 210-240 ohms. I have stated 215-240 ohms in the past ( back in 2004 ) but have found 210 -240 ohms works good.
From 2005:
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/42570-primary-and-secondary-stator?p=286777#post286777
From 2002:
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/669-can-t-get-her-to-start?p=3656#post3656

Howdy