PDA

View Full Version : atc110 spark plug

Gator72007
05-08-2013, 06:08 AM
I downloaded a service manual and it says for 82-up cdi 110's to use ngk dr8es-l spark plug, i picked one up and it has a little more reach than what was in it, so before using it i googled what spark plug fits and from many sites they say dr8hs.

So which is it for an 82-up?
im thinking the manual is fubar

barnett468
05-08-2013, 07:11 AM
Hello

I'm not sure however one easy way to tell how long a plug reach should be is to somehow measure the depth of the plug hole if the threads can be seen easily. One way to do this is to cut a piece of manila paper 1/4" wide and around 2" long and place a few graduated marks on it, then simply stick it into the plug to hole to the bottom of the threads and see which mark lines up and measure it. The plug threads are ALWAYS the same length as the ones in the head. The electrode commonly protrudes into the cylinder by around 3/16" of an inch depending upon heat range.

ORIGINAL HONDA MANUAL PG 8 79-81 D8HA AND S, 82 UP DR8ES-L

http://www.kb0nly.info/ATC/index.php?dir=ATC110%2F

sledcrazyinCT
05-08-2013, 09:05 AM
go to a honda parts fiche and they tell you the right plug some manuals printed the wrong info and that is an expensive mistake

I downloaded a service manual and it says for 82-up cdi 110's to use ngk dr8es-l spark plug, i picked one up and it has a little more reach than what was in it, so before using it i googled what spark plug fits and from many sites they say dr8hs.

So which is it for an 82-up?
im thinking the manual is fubar

That manual lists the wrong size plug I followed the book and installed the too long reach plug and it killed my valves

Gator72007
05-08-2013, 09:55 AM
go to a honda parts fiche and they tell you the right plug some manuals printed the wrong info and that is an expensive mistake

That manual lists the wrong size plug I followed the book and installed the too long reach plug and it killed my valves

Thanks for the reply, i will go with the dr8hs, many sites including ngk suggest that plug for the 82-up. Sorry to hear you had clearance issuses, you would think following the service manual would be the best bet, its a shame its wrong on something that critical.

barnett468
05-08-2013, 10:45 AM
[QUOTE=sledcrazyinCT;1223432]go to a honda parts fiche and they tell you the right plug some manuals printed the wrong info and that is an expensive mistake

Hello

That's the first thing I thought of too so that's exactly what I did [see link below] and it only gives a ______n part number! I personally would measure the threads if possible to be certain. If you run a plug that is too short it may not properly fire the fuel because the electrode is partially shielded by the plug hole. A plug shorter than the original but of the same heat range also creates lower cylinder temps than the plug would normally provide. It is similar to running a colder plug like a D9 as opposed to a D8 etc.

cmsnl.com

Hope this info helps