PDA

View Full Version : 250r forks, 84 vs 85

SiiCHo
05-09-2013, 02:47 PM
first off, hello everyone!

i just bought a '84 Honda 250r that runs great but has seen better days, and the more i dig into it, the more i find. one thing i noticed right off the top is that one of my forks is bent. after some research, it is nearly impossible to find forks for an '84, but you can find '85 forks all day. ive read that it is possible to put the 85 forks on a 84, you just have to replace the triple clamp to do so. is this really the case, or are the forks the same? also, the trike had been rebuilt from the frame up by the previous owner, and it is possible that it has '85 forks on it, but how could i tell?

thanks in advance
-SiiCHo

tbus93
05-09-2013, 04:38 PM
85 forks are a 39mm tube and 84 forks are a 34mm fork I believe

oldskool83
05-09-2013, 04:49 PM
you can put a 3rd gen 250R front end on, but you need then verything. works, tripples front wheel, brake caliper axle, hub. nothing is the same from 83-84 250r and 85-86 250r. this will end up soating you well more then getting a new set of forks.

I just sold a set of stright 83-84 250r forks. check ebay. they like to bend because they are not a big diameter. there is a guy in maryland parting a 2nd gen 250r. search york pa craigslist.

also there are forks from time to time.

SiiCHo
05-09-2013, 04:52 PM
Ok, i havent seen pics of actual 83-84 forks, but all the pics of 85-86 forks i see look just like what i already have... Maybe i lucked out, or would i not be able to tell from pictures?

SiiCHo
05-09-2013, 04:54 PM
I think im just gonna go get a dial caliper and measure them, provided the above dimensions are accurate...

shortline10
05-09-2013, 05:02 PM
Just straighten your forks out if their not bent to bad . Your local machine shop can do it for you .

SiiCHo
05-09-2013, 05:08 PM
Theyre not terrible, its still rideable, but im not trying to ghetto it up anymore than it already is... Ive spent 3 days just changing out hardware. Nothing matched. I trying to bring it back as close to mint as i can get it, minus the paint job

SiiCHo
05-09-2013, 08:15 PM
So i measured my forks, theyre 35 mm which means i do indeed have the appropriate front end on my trike. So if i understand correctly, i cant just change my triple clamp and forks, i have to change the bottom end too (hub, wheel, axle, brakes, etc) can anyone else back this up? If so, why is this? Is the 3rd gen axle longer, shorter, different diameter? Is the hub/wheel a different size? Is the brake caliper different? Please dont take this as an insult, or as just some noob asking stupid questions. Im not afraid to spend the money, but before i do i want to have solid information. Im pretty set on doing the conversion, mainly due to parts availability (or the lack thereof) for the 2nd gen.

Just some quick background on me, ive been turning wrenches since i was old enough to hold a wrench, and ive been a mechanic on helicopters for 8 years now, so if theres a way to make something work i can usually figure it out.

Xfile
05-09-2013, 08:30 PM
Hi, if it were me, I would do as shortline suggested and get them straightened. I've had several pairs straightened with excellent results for $30 per set at a local machine shop. Put some new fork seals in (available from honda) and also install a pair of progressive rate fork springs from Progressive Suspension (available all over the net, progressive suspension part # 11-1117 I believe) there about $80. Replace the original fork oil with a good quality 15 or 20 wt. You will be amazed with the suspension performance and at a pretty reasonable cost to boot...

SiiCHo
05-09-2013, 08:37 PM
I may go that route for now, but end game is to upgrade. Its just my left fork, the right one is fine. Im just really glad i took a good look at the front end, i just found 2 if the nuts holding the wheel to the hub missing, and a third that was loose and about to fall off. Guess its time to break out the lock-tite, as has been the story of this trike since i bought it....

SiiCHo
05-09-2013, 09:15 PM
Im just concerned that straightening the fork will weaken it, granted its better than riding with a bent fork, but still... Though if you have had no issues riding with forks that have straightened, thats what i may do for now.

oldskool83
05-09-2013, 10:35 PM
As i stated a few threads up. If you want an 85-86 250R front end on your machine, you are going to need to get the tipples, the front wheel, the axle and spacers, the front caliper is a dual piston not a single piston which was used on 81-84 250R. you need a 3rd gen hub also, it has a smaller bolt pattern.

I go thru with many new people. the best way to see what fits a machine is to see what bearings are used.

The only thing and I repeat!!!!!!! the ONLY thing that swaps from 83-84 250r to 85-86 is our front rotor. all hondas used the same bolt pattern.

Per all balls bearings : Steering Brg - Seal Kit Honda ATC250R 83-86,

an Upgrade to your stock forks would be getting them rebuilt. spending abought $300 to have them set up correctly and adding progressive springs. You are going to spend close to that to put a 85-86 250R front end anyway if you peice it out per ebay. one thing you also need to realize if your 83-84 250r head light if your running one wont fit on the 85-86 tripples and if you want one you will need to pay lots of money for one per ebay.

SiiCHo
05-09-2013, 11:40 PM
thanks oldskool, i wasnt trying to say you were wrong, i just wanted someone to verify what you said before i went and spent the money. for the time being, im just going to look into having the bent fork straightened, and ultimately replace it if i can find one. down the road i will probably rebuild the shocks, because i discovered that just like you said, it will cost more to do the swap than its worth.

atc300r
05-10-2013, 01:26 PM
The 3rd gen has the front brake on the opposite side aswell. You could try and get the parts for the 3rd gen front swap from here on 3ww.You could use your 84 front hub and whatnot but you will have to make different spacers.And its a pain in the azz.Best bet straighten you 84 fork if it isnt bent that bad it will be fine.If you do the 3rd gen front best to use all the componets.