PDA

View Full Version : Ants = anyone got any good tricks 2 get rid of them ?

dustrunner
05-10-2013, 08:50 PM
Got some ants to get rid of ...any good idea,s ?

Scootertrash
05-10-2013, 09:11 PM
In the house? I just picked up a box of some nice Terro bait type traps, although it looks like my first attempt with the bait type traps has started to succeed. After a couple days the ants have appeared to decrease in numbers.

I have heard that diatomaceous earth is an excellent insecticide and I have been told it works well for ants. I haven't tried it yet, but I have 3 big nests out by my mailbox so I am going to try it there.:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diatomaceous_earth

Diatomite is used as an insecticide, due to its abrasive and physico-sorptive properties.[8] The fine powder absorbs lipids from the waxy outer layer of insects' exoskeletons, causing them to dehydrate.

I have also heard, but not tried, a mixture of sugar and borax for the sweet eating ants. The borax dehydrates the ants. Otherwise I'm sure the ant killing stuff sold at Home Depot and Menards works, but if you read the instructions closely, most of them take more than one application and it must be lightly watered after applying.

I have used the HD/Menards ant killers, but I never really stayed with the program. This year I am going to try to eliminate them. I may go gonzo and use the Diatomaceous earth and the Home Depot stuff I bought both at the same time, BUT, the instructions say to be careful when using more than one ant killer. That's why I chose a natural killer and the chemical one to use together.

Another I've heard is boiling water poured onto/into the nest. You can't use cool water because ants can stay under water for a very long time apparently. The boiling water will kill them, and again, multiple applications are necessary.

Once again, I have tried none of the above methods save for the commercially sold ant killers. If I can stay focused in my attempts to kill these little bastiges, I will be trying more than one of the above methods. I will try to update the thread with what works.

KASEY
05-10-2013, 09:45 PM
we use a product called AMDRO it works great!

oldskool83
05-10-2013, 10:24 PM
82 yo old lady next to me puts a barrier around home every year. she told me they wont cross over lime. I use critter spay made by specdicide. when critters walk over it it shut them down. ive watch big spiders not make it past and it dries invisable.

DasUberKraut
05-10-2013, 11:37 PM
I use Ortho Home Defense. It's pet friendly. Indoor and outdoor use.

A Mexican I used to work with said buy a bunch of jalapeņos and onions. Boil down and strain. Spray anywhere you don't want pests.

tri again
05-11-2013, 12:10 AM
82 yo old lady next to me puts a barrier around home every year. she told me they wont cross over lime. I use critter spay made by specdicide. when critters walk over it it shut them down. ive watch big spiders not make it past and it dries invisable.

yeah, someone on tv (and lots of little kds) swear that you can circle an ant with a chalk
circle and they don't like to cross it.

I just saw some of those blackberry big ones, carpenter ants?
and also some termite looking things but the neighbort said they're flying ants.
When I asked the difference, he couldn't say.

Can you tell what kinds they are exactly?

Dirtcrasher
05-11-2013, 01:03 AM
I found a NEST!! in my shop, I sprayed them with carb cleaner and then a product made for their demise.

These are carpenter ants, I may have to tear out the ceiling to see whats up but I have some "DISCONTINUED" products I found at Dads and I know that stuff will do it; Full face shield respirator and a throw away ET suit.

I just don't wan a full ant invasion before this gets out of hand.

atc007
05-11-2013, 08:25 AM
I use Ortho home defense also. Haven't had a problem since.... Around $9 a gallon and comes with an easy sprayer. That will keep them out.. Once they're in?? Not sure.

dustrunner
05-11-2013, 01:07 PM
welp, off to the store we go...thanks all....

kb0nly
05-11-2013, 09:46 PM
Terro Ant Baits are awesome.... Just put one down, and DONT kill the ants. They will swarm on that thing and you will have hundreds of them in a happy little congo line taking it back to the nest, then in a day or less, in my case i put one down and it was swarmed before i went to bed, in the morning i only saw an ant or two lingering and then nothing, and they are dead. Its a Borax solution, they take it back, feed it to the colony, and they all die.

elevatorman
05-12-2013, 07:18 AM
I use Club Soda.yep pour the bottle on the bed and 2 days later no ants,safe around kids and pets. hope this helps.......

Angore
05-12-2013, 05:17 PM
i use ortho home defense.

x - 2 ^ . . .

tommerp
05-12-2013, 07:12 PM
To prevent after you exterminate them inside, put a line of chalk on your door frames and window sills. The ants won't walk across that chalk for some reason...

RIDE-RED 250r
05-12-2013, 09:06 PM
A yard full of CHICKENS! Works every time it's tried... But you won't have much of a garden either.

brapp
05-16-2013, 11:57 PM
i mis confectionary sugar and borax powder soap together and put them around in random places and liek soemone had said they take it back and it kills the entire colony

300rman
05-17-2013, 01:02 AM
Too bad the good stuff isnt available anymore.....

ps2fixer
05-17-2013, 10:37 PM
Terro Ant Baits are awesome.... Just put one down, and DONT kill the ants. They will swarm on that thing and you will have hundreds of them in a happy little congo line taking it back to the nest, then in a day or less, in my case i put one down and it was swarmed before i went to bed, in the morning i only saw an ant or two lingering and then nothing, and they are dead. Its a Borax solution, they take it back, feed it to the colony, and they all die.

That is exactly what my mom told me to use for my ant invasion this spring. I had the huge black ants throughout the entire house. I put up 2 spots for them to eat the borax stuff, first day they ate it ALL up O.o. I put like 20+ drops in each location and kepted adding all day long the next day and after that day I have 0 ants! For being a current product, it really does work well for that type of ant.

Photos are from the first day of putting a few drops at each location, 2nd day there was at least 20 ants at each spot after I plastered it with the poison.

kb0nly
05-18-2013, 02:04 PM
Wow those are some big damn ants! Generally all i see here is the little guys, and then depending on the weather sometime during the summer we get the invasion of the flying ants, the sky fills with them!

ps2fixer
05-18-2013, 05:51 PM
The really big ones in the 2nd photo are around 1cm long and do bite lol. We don't really have any problems with the flying ants, more the lady bugs that came from japan or w\e that the farmers dump on their crops every year. Fall time they start to get cold and look for somewhere warm... which ends up being everyone's house, just 100s of them.

beets442
05-22-2013, 03:37 PM
Back in the day we used chloradane,,,mix 1oz per 5gal of water https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&sqi=2&ved=0CC4QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FChlorda ne&ei=aB2dUe6fC4rWygGrsIGYBQ&usg=AFQjCNHWFiuwRf0ct6WoHyBb0Edwa-4h3g&sig2=ppDkMpl89Km65DfetyAbdg&bvm=bv.46751780,d.aWc
I still have some in a quart jar for extreme use.

Dirtcrasher
05-23-2013, 11:06 PM
Back in the day we used chloradane,,,mix 1oz per 5gal of water https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&sqi=2&ved=0CC4QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FChlorda ne&ei=aB2dUe6fC4rWygGrsIGYBQ&usg=AFQjCNHWFiuwRf0ct6WoHyBb0Edwa-4h3g&sig2=ppDkMpl89Km65DfetyAbdg&bvm=bv.46751780,d.aWc
I still have some in a quart jar for extreme use.

I have some too!!

Red Rider
05-24-2013, 12:12 AM
I vaguely remember getting an email (you know one of those emails that everyone sends to everyone in their contact list) about a year ago, with a sure fire way to get rid of ants. It suggested pouring some Splenda, or any artificial sweetener for that matter, along the trail of ants. I haven't had any ants yet to try it on, but I will if I do. Here's an article I found on it: http://npofoods.com/news/killing-household-ants-with-splenda/