PDA

View Full Version : trying to trouble shoot my 1985 honda big red 250es please help idk what it is

dylanisaacs
05-13-2013, 04:20 PM
i am trying to troubleshoot my proble with my 1985 honda big red 250es i drive it for a while then it bogs out randomly and shuts off (like someone flooded it) my friend said it might be the air screw but i think its worse than that, please help me......and if i wait 1-2mins it will fire back up but it might bog while idle and shut off it only recently started doing this any ideas on how to fix this will be much apprciated

its had this problem for about a month or two now its always full with fresh gas but i have a rusty gas tank and its a brand new spark plug when i take the plugs out the tips are white after 2 days to a week of use

dougspcs
05-13-2013, 04:35 PM
Well not a ton to go on since you haven't mentioned any attempts to check the carb or when it was last cleaned..I'd say that chore should go on the 'to do' list!

But from what you describe I'd say that you aren't flooding out..but running out of gas!!

If the tank is all rusted inside then the screen in the petcock is likely all plugged and there isn't enough fuel flowing from the tank to keep the float bowl filled. You drive, the bowl empties and you die out from lack of fuel..the slow trickle of gas getting thru partially refills the bowl and you can restart a couple minutes later..

Suggestion to drain the tank, remove the petcock and strainer pipe inside the tank..clean it all then verify the flow by letting the fuel hose dangle in a glass jar as you open the petcock.

Then for good measure tear down and clean your carb..

Do it right, I bet it runs like new!!

tri again
05-13-2013, 04:38 PM
Lots of thoughts.
First flash is the gas tank vent might be plugged.
AND sometimes off isn't off and 'on' isn't always on.

Funniest thing too because when they die, we check the gas which lets air into the tank and it will run until the vacuum returns.

Does it smell like gas when it dies?
air filter clogged or mouse nest?
I use clear fuel line looped down by the engine and back up so I can see rust and crud.
If the filter screen in the sediment bowl on the fuel shut off clear?

Do you have spark when it dies?
Best to determine if it's fuel or spark related first.

Keep us posted.
We'll get it.
We always do.

edit - x2 with doug btw.
we posted at the same time.
A clean tank will save tons of headaches.
I used to worry about rust but lately I just BLAST them with a pressure washer and get the loose rust out and dry dry dry 'em really good with 'heet' and bake them in the sun and then keep them FULL so they can't rust anymore.
If the rust ugliness bothers you, try the search key.
Some say vinegar, some say toilet bowl cleaner and it goes on for 100 pages.

Make sure you have spark when it dies.

dylanisaacs
05-13-2013, 04:41 PM
i have taken the carb apart and blew compressed air into it

dylanisaacs
05-13-2013, 04:43 PM
it has spark when it dies it will bog out so ill hold it wide open and it then may kick back in for a minute or so and shut off

dougspcs
05-13-2013, 04:46 PM
go outside right now and pull the fuel line and let it drain into a jar..if it's not good you know where you are going.

tri again
05-13-2013, 04:50 PM
i have taken the carb apart and blew compressed air into it
Best to take the jets out and blow through the internal passages too.
and then a fuel filter for sure.
If the tank is throwing particulate rust, it will likely continue.
I just got *&^%$ and cleaned all my tanks last fall.
Kinda fun (not really) but comforting when I'm out further than I care to walk home.
A loop of clear fuel line allows rustcrud to settle in the low spot and then I just pull the line off and let it throw up and then it usually feels better for a while.

Hang in there.
You'll get it.
Does it start with the kick after it dies?
There's been an epidemic lately of no Estart but yes with kicker.

dylanisaacs
05-13-2013, 04:51 PM
i have pulled the line off the carb and left it on the tank and it drains just fine but i didnt have the petcock apart im not sur if i should drain the whole tank and take it apart

dylanisaacs
05-13-2013, 04:53 PM
i have to kick it over for a few minutes before it fires back up but if i dont wait and it fires back up it bogs out and shuts off i caint get far

dylanisaacs
05-13-2013, 04:57 PM
ill take my laptop to my grage and keep you updated

dougspcs
05-13-2013, 05:08 PM
Yes to the question about taking the tank off..seen plugged petcocks too many times to leave that easy check on the bench.

You don't even have to empty it if you want to take the quick and dirty approach..shut the vent on the cap and flip it upside down on your bench and prop it in a cardboard box to keep it steady and catch the spillage..

Pull the petcock and don't forget the strainer tube in the tank..pinch it with some needlenose and pull it out gently..

Clean and blow it out with air and put it back together.

dylanisaacs
05-13-2013, 05:10 PM
ok guys i am currently draining my gas tank

dylanisaacs
05-13-2013, 05:26 PM
ok i am spinning the switch where you change it from on to reserve to off but its not comin off

dylanisaacs
05-13-2013, 05:29 PM
ok i got it off

dylanisaacs
05-13-2013, 05:32 PM
ok guys ive pulled it off and took the bottom off but there is only part of the filter

dylanisaacs
05-13-2013, 05:35 PM
should i blow my gas tank out with compressed air?

dougspcs
05-13-2013, 05:39 PM
ok guys ive pulled it off and took the bottom off but there is only part of the filter

You mean this right..?? You'll be needing another..

There is a secondary strainer in the bottom of the petcock..open it with a 10mm socket and clean in there too!

And as 'tri again' mentioned..hit that tank interior with a pressure washer if you can. Then let it dry out really well..

dylanisaacs
05-13-2013, 05:40 PM
ive pulled that and the pert that feeds gas from the tank

dylanisaacs
05-13-2013, 05:44 PM
if you want video call over skype dylan isaacs my pic is of my trike in the fog the one ive uploaded last night

dougspcs
05-13-2013, 05:46 PM
if you want video call over skype dylan isaacs my pic is of my trike in the fog the one ive uploaded last night

sorry, I don't use Skype..

dylanisaacs
05-13-2013, 05:48 PM
do you use msn?

dylanisaacs
05-13-2013, 05:54 PM
i have a yellow one at the bottom of the bowl

dylanisaacs
05-13-2013, 05:55 PM
my gas is yellow in my tank dose that mean there is rust?

dylanisaacs
05-13-2013, 06:03 PM
how do i pull the inside petcock? in the tank

dylanisaacs
05-13-2013, 06:05 PM
there is dirt and water in the gas tank i can see it with the troble light

dougspcs
05-13-2013, 06:58 PM
i have a yellow one at the bottom of the bowl

yellow one what?

how do i pull the inside petcock? in the tank

not sure what inside petcock you mean?

there is dirt and water in the gas tank i can see it with the troble light

circling around to the 1st suggestion..blast clean and dry the tank REALLY well!!

dylanisaacs
05-13-2013, 07:38 PM
ok guys ive checked the coil and its blue spark (lots of fire) so my pop put a drop of oil and stabilizer in my gas tank so ill will go for a drive tomorrow and see if the problem is fixed if not ill let you know

dylanisaacs
05-13-2013, 07:39 PM
there was no hole in that but where you turn the gas on and off i took the bottom off that it looks like a cup

dylanisaacs
05-13-2013, 11:10 PM
how do i make sure it has spark when it dies?
when it dies i can hold the throttle wide open and it just bogs out and sometimes it will kick in but be sputtery then just die and few minutes later it will start right back up

tri again
05-14-2013, 04:25 AM
kinda sounds like gas IS getting through?
even with the ripped sediment bowl fuel strainer screen?

If it was mine? with what I know ...I'd suspect the float valve / floats
to be hanging UP so fuel won't refill the bowl.

Tap gently on the float bowl with a screwdriver handle?
I'd open the drain screw in the carb bowl and see if more than a couple shot glasses of gas comes out.