PDA

View Full Version : 1982 200e no spark (go figure!!)

jammin83
05-13-2013, 11:13 PM
I've replaced the exciter coil, coil, cdi, pulse generator, spark plug. Can someone please help??????:twisted:

kb0nly
05-13-2013, 11:32 PM
Did you go through the ignition system testing it or did you just toss parts at it? You need to start at the start so to speak. If you don't have one get a cheap test light, not the LED type just a plain old cheap bulb in a screwdriver type test light, keep it simple and basic. Clip the ground lead to a good ground, the engine, a bolt, i usually clip it onto one of the cylinder fins as thats about the right size for the clip lead. Then you start probing wires! You will notice i suggest checking each part of the circuit on both ends, for example the coil wire at the coil and at the CDI, this is to rule out bad connections, broken wires, etc.. If you have a flash at one end but not the other then check connections and wiring!

Put the test light on the black/red wire by the recoil, pull it over a few times or if the electric start works crank it with that, you should see the light flash as the engine rotates, now test the black/red wire again at the CDI unit, same thing, flash or not. If thats good then you have voltage to the CDI at least.

Put the probe on the black/yellow wire at the CDI, check again for flashes, if so then check for flashes again at the ignition coil (spark coil), if you have flashes there then you know the CDI is functioning, if not then you need to test the pickup as well, blue/yellow wire at the CDI. If you don't have any flashes after the CDI try disconnecting the kill switch and ignition switches black wires in the headlight, you will find the two black wires plug into a single black wire, the switches ground that black wire to kill the ignition, if either switch is bad then no spark!

The CDI is the brains of the whole operation, so if you got voltage into it on the black/red wire but not seeing voltage out to the coil then its the CDI or the pickup or even the kill switch, you can test the pickup and kill switch, but you can't test the CDI, the service manual, available on my manual server link below in my signature, shows a test for the CDI but its pointless. I have tested them and you just can't get the readings the manual shows even with a brand new one.

Is the CDI known good? Has it been on another running trike that you personally saw running with it??

Also check the plug wire, it can be removed from the coil and the spark plug cap, remove both ends, snip a bit of wire off and reinstall to get a clean connection.

If unplugging both the kill switch and ignition switch black wires fixes it, you might want to start there before even getting out the test light, then unplug one at a time till you figure out which one is bad. The kill switch can get rusty inside and short out. The good news is it can be taken apart and cleaned and greased up with some dielectric grease, the same stuff you use on spark plug boots, and it should work again.

jammin83
05-14-2013, 06:45 PM
Thank You for all the info!! I decided that I am going through each and every individual wire, and component on the machine. I do have a multimeter that I use. The cdi I installed is off a running machine as well as the spark exciter. Long live the atc's!!

kb0nly
05-14-2013, 10:32 PM
Thats the best way to do it, just check every wire, every connection, every component individually. I'm sure you will get it, these have a fairly basic ignition system thats easy to work on after you have dealt with it a few times. But thats not to say we cant all pull our hair out over them sometimes!! LOL

Good luck, any other questions just post em!