PDA

View Full Version : adjusting valves in the 85 big red 250es

dylanisaacs
05-14-2013, 04:54 AM
ok so i might have to adjust the valves on my 1985 honda big red 250es so i was wondering if i can leave the motor in and pull the top end off or if i got to take the motor out. and if anyone can get me the 1985 honda big red 250es manual online so i can get the correct adjustment.

Flyingw
05-14-2013, 05:17 AM
Naw, its done with the motor in the frame. All you need to remove is the two oval cover on top of the motor and the two plugs on the stator cover. Here's the link to manuals.

http://www.oscarmayer.net/atc/manuals/

dylanisaacs
05-14-2013, 05:37 AM
ok thanks man i will find out if its the valves

dylanisaacs
05-14-2013, 05:51 AM
ok so the two oval cover are right on top of the motor right? and do i need a tourque wrench to do it?

Flyingw
05-14-2013, 08:47 AM
No. A 10mm wrench, a .003 feeler gage with the end bent over at about 45 deg, a flat screwdriver to remove the plugs, and a 17mm socket and ratchet to turn the motor. Follow the book. When adjusting the valves it takes a light hand to make the adjustment and not put pressure on the rocker arm otherwise you will get a false feel on the feeler gage and when you tighten the adjuster lock nut, the adjustment will change. It takes a little playing to see what I mean. The end result with the lock nut tight is the .003 feeler gage will slip snugly between the tappet and the top of the valve. The motor needs to be in the right position...