PDA

View Full Version : Just picked up 81 250R

mattsoch
05-14-2013, 06:07 AM
Hello all
I just scored a great deal on a 81 250R, well i think it was a great deal ($350). Its rough but it runs and has already proven to be a ton of fun. I grew up with 185s and a few big reds. After my first ride i am confused as to why i would every ride anything other then a 250R again.
As i said the bike is rough and i am looking for some guidance as to the direction i should take this in. After a bit of looking around here i see that 85 and 86 seem to be the most popular bikes with the most aftermarket support. I want to upgrade the bike where i can without going crazy.
If most one could shed some light on the common mods for an 81 i have be thankful.
I would like to upgrade the shock and spring in the back and maybe a wide axle if possible.

thanks for the help

my1423
05-14-2013, 06:33 AM
Really depends on how bad your ride is, how much money you can spend, and how original you want it.
Many love the stock look, while others frankenbike them.
I have seen many swap out the whole stock front end, 30mm forks for later models from many different machines. 200x 350x, later 250r tri z, ect.
For more travel, taller stiffer narrower tire, or they bent them, ect.
Wider axles or wheel spacers are common.
For aircooled mods air-----foolers has bundles of mods.
Basics are power reeds, dg pipe, rejet.
If you want a ton of power and suspension, get a later model 85-87 r and save yourself a load of money.
The early ones are very dependable and good bikes, but they will never be as good as the later tech for big power and big suspension without a boat of money thrown at them. You can also start affecting the dependability.
Stock, it lived this long!

pipeline triker
05-14-2013, 07:17 AM
Welcome to the site. You will love your first gen R, they are good soild bikes. Some easy mods would be to get G force rear hubs and then be able to run 4x110 rims. Pipes make a big differance, and run a later R intake and carb.

barnett468
05-14-2013, 07:19 AM
Hello all

As i said the bike is rough and i am looking for some guidance as to the direction i should take this in.

That’s up to you to decide, stock semi stock or highly modified.

xxxxx,

After a bit of looking around here i see that 85 and 86 seem to be the most popular bikes with the most aftermarket support. I want to upgrade the bike where i can without going crazy.

What type of riding do you want to do dune riding at high speed, trail riding with tight turns or do you want a short suspension flat track slider.

I’m guessing it has enough power for you, do you want to make it faster? What aftermarket parts are on it now?

xxxxx

If most one could shed some light on the common mods for an 81 i have be thankful.

It seems universal mods are longer swing arm and modified motor.

xxxxx

I would like to upgrade the shock and spring in the back

If you mean you want to replace the shock with something better the best shock available [if they make one for it] is from works performance but it probably costs around $500.00.

You need to determine if you are going to run an extended swing arm first. You can get your stock shock revalved for your weight, swing arm length and riding style if need be. Different springs should be available also.

Xxxxx

maybe a wide axle if possible.

I would search Ebay, you can also add axle extenders to your stock ones.

atc300r
05-14-2013, 08:04 AM
I have a 81 250r decked out for flat track racing.I have DG full exhaust intake and Head. DG still makes new pipes for the 81-84 250r.Search craigslist and ebay good source for older threewheeler parts.I bought a Works triple rate shock from ebay last year for $100 shipped.Kustom Kraft is a company that will resleeve a stock cylinder to use a 76 mill piston wich will make your 250 a 290.they also match the head to the bigger bore.I like riding/racing my 81 as much as my 83 and 85.169460

JasonB
05-14-2013, 09:27 AM
welcome to the boards first off! second, congrats on your new purchase, the 250R in any of it's forms (years) is a great bike! do some searching around, people on here will be able to give you a great starting point for mods but the best thing to do is start with basic maintenance so you can feel the true potential of the machine when its jetted and tuned properly. My brothers bone stock mint condition 85 is a different beast than a big bore 250R, both stock and modded have their perks and pitfalls. welcome! throw some pics up when you get a chance

manbearpig
05-14-2013, 10:47 AM
need pics duder.

extended swingers are out there floating around, aftermarket shocks are out there as well. extended axles are tough to fine. wheel spacers are more common

mattsoch
05-15-2013, 06:28 AM
Thanks for the input.
For now the power is great, I am sure i will get used to it and want some more. Though for now a bit more rear suspension would be great along with some better brakes. (fronts dont work right now) Can anyone suggest a few of the rear swingarm companies? I found some NOS forks, would they be a large improvemnt over the 30 year old ones on the bike?
The other qeustion i have is about the foot shifter. You really have to lift on the lever to get a gear change and you dont always gets one.

Thanks agian
Pics will be coming soon. I should have taken some before my first ride. It got a few new scars and carries a few less inches of plastic. 15 years of riding three wheelswith out incident. First time on a R, lost it big.

my1423
05-15-2013, 06:41 AM
Most of the early rs I have rode were all hard to shift. Well harder then most bikes.
Just stiff, but very positive once you pushed the pedal far enough.
Had a buddy who welded part of a trail 90 shifter to his stock pedal to use his heel to upshift.
Seemed to me the later ones were easier shifting, but I do not know what they changed.
Have you changed the oil? What did you use? That can really effect it.
Also was the engine warm when riding? What is the outside temp? Might need a little thinner oil.

atc300r
05-15-2013, 08:25 AM
Your shift return spring is possibly broken.I have several aircooled 250rs and none of mine shift hard at all they shift as smooth as my 85 liquid r. Even at the age they are .

my1423
05-15-2013, 04:17 PM
Witch spring?
http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Honda/ATV/1981/ATC250R+A/GEARSHIFT+DRUM/parts.html

Have a buddy with 2 81 r and both are stiff! no other issues just stiff.
Another buddy with an 83 and 84 and they shift much easier.
The diagram above shows the same springs for all years but maybe im missing witch it is. 12 15 18 21 ?
21 is listed as the return. None of the bikes have a lazy shifter. Stiff up and down.
Can it wedge or pop off or something? Spacer needed?
Could something need polished, debured, ect?

atc300r
05-15-2013, 05:52 PM
#21 Is the shift return spring it works with part # 20.The 81-84 250 r are the same 81,82 have a lonbgfer shift shaft.

mattsoch
05-19-2013, 10:15 PM
Well it looks like I will be getting a sooner then later. Went out last night and blew a hole in the side of the pipe. I am thinking a dg pipe. I have done some looking on here about putting a bigger carb on the r. Since I just realized the intake is ripped, I am thinking about doing the carb and new intake at the same time. Will the upp intake work from a trx? I was thinking about using a 34mm carb from a snowmobile. Any suggestion?

fcf35
05-20-2013, 03:36 AM
My suggestion is that if you do anything to that motor you better get a longer swingarm and wider axle.they are a blast but if you do very many mods you wont be able to keep the front end down on it unless your good with that clutch.very narrow and sitting right on top of those back tires.would have love it if I was 25 again.

mattsoch
05-20-2013, 07:39 AM
I would love to get a longer swing arm and wider axle but i cant really seem to find anything. I think i found one swingarm but it was $500. I am thinking of making my own arm.

fcf35
05-21-2013, 02:33 AM
Just make for sure your or who ever welds that swinger is worthy of doing it.be a shame to get your bike all fixed up and then have it snap in half and get you seriously hurt.if your not gonna do a lot of jumping with it then get you some wheel spacers and offset rims.