PDA

View Full Version : Is there an affordable winch out there?

ditchmud
05-14-2013, 01:44 PM
Looking to get my son a winch for his jeep but other than Warn I'm not familiar with any brands. Is there an affordable winch out there? If I buy a warn winch, is it that much better or am I paying for the name?

Jeepermc
05-15-2013, 05:55 PM
I won't run anything but Warn. Their premium line is uncompromised in quality and reliability in my opinion. I've seen far too many cheap chinese winches (harbor freight, smittybilt, tabor, etc) with a great warranty or exchange program break apart or simply not work when you need them. In extreme cases your life could depend on the winch and whether or not it works. I'll spend the extra money every time. Haven't had any use experience with the new VR series from Warn but have had my hands on one and if I had to i'd run it over any of the other cheap winches on the market.

atc007
05-15-2013, 07:29 PM
Lol,,,Totally the opposite here. Nothing personal Jeeper lol ! Warn is renowned through and through here as pure junk. A LOT of non working Warns that came on Polaris,and Yamahas. I'm told they are all plastic inside. I do NOT know,as I haven't tore into one. I lost a chance at buying a Foreman once because the dealer had ordered $138 of parts for the winch and wouldn't pull it off. At THAT time a brand new Viper was like $78 full kit on Ebay.. They said ohhhh,they're junk!! Really ??? Think about WHAT you're saying! Anyhow,I have had GREAT luck with Harbor Freights $49 winches Vipers and another one ? lol, for quads. Super great luck. As for a Jeep,,I don't know. But I would NEVER give Warn another cent of my money !!! I have a nice collection of bad ones,and a guy Just told me that they are warranted for quite a while?? I need to check into that I guess.

90guy
05-16-2013, 10:41 PM
I like to run the SuperWinch. Havent had a problem with it and I love it. Don't use my a whole lot though. running the lp8500. Can get it for 480 now. Good deal.

ditchmud
05-17-2013, 05:15 AM
Warn has fallen into the "profit trap" as I call it. They use their highly respected name to charge extremely high prices but then they buy the cheapest crap and slap their sticker on it. Sadly a lot of well respected companies have sold out and practice this art of thievery.

Jeepermc
05-17-2013, 03:37 PM
Don't know about the ATV winches. Just speaking from Jeep experience.