PDA

View Full Version : 84 YTM225 questions

NCRyders
05-18-2013, 09:50 AM
Hey guy’s, I’m new to the site and the 3 wheeler world. A co-worker recently gave me a 84 Yam YTM225, he just wanted to get rid of it. It’s been sitting in a barn and hasn't moved in at least 7-8 years, but with a little tinkering she fired up and took me for a ride. Couldn't believe it! Needless to say I’m hooked! Never ridden or owned a trike before and I’m digging it. I found a few things that need to be replaced. The clutch slips and the swing arm bearings/bushings are shot. I have clutch disks and springs on order. I have a question about the swing are bearings. I've found needle bearings and what looks like regular wheel bearings. Which are better? I haven’t torn the arm part yet so I don’t know what’s in it now. Also, are the nuts that hold the clutch basket and centrifugal clutch on supposed to be torqued? Any tips, tricks or advice would be appreciated.

dougspcs
05-18-2013, 12:04 PM
Well to start, welcome to the addiction!!

1st, you have a lot of questions and judging from them you know a bit about mechanics..so to start you can download the manual here: http://www.oscarmayer.net/atc/manuals/

It can answer most of your specific questions and provide you with a pretty detail instructions about how to's with your new machine..torque specs, disassembly procedures..etc..

Once you have a chance to look it over feel free to ask for clarification or about any things you didn't get answered in the manual.

muthey
05-18-2013, 12:57 PM
I believe they are supposed to be needle bearings, I would have to look I have a spare swing arm sitting here, and for what it does in my opinion needle bearings is a better choice. and the clutch basket and cent. clutch nuts are lightly tightened and then there is a washer underneath the nut that you fold a lip up on to hold them in place, there may be an actual torque spec, but the washer is the key part there.

ebaccm26
05-18-2013, 04:07 PM
As far as I know they use regular wheel bearings.

NCRyders
05-19-2013, 08:11 AM
Thanks for the manual link and advice. That helps alot. Waiting on the parts delivery is killin me. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions. Thanks again!

dougspcs
05-19-2013, 09:28 AM
Have fun with it..but do understand that this is an advice thread not an addiction councelling centre.

Once you start, you won't go back..

When you're money is gone, your wife and kids are alien to you..don't say we didn't warn you.

Their should be warning labels on these machines for that too!!