PDA

View Full Version : 83 honda 250r clutch problem?

scottelagrange
05-18-2013, 06:56 PM
I justbought an 83 honda 250r, there seems to be a problem with the clutch. I was told it was the basket, unsure what the real problem may be. It starts right up usually first or second kick, idles fine with out haveing to rev it. rev it in neutral, seems to dawg a bit at first, then picks up. However, it never really opens up. when riding it, its very sluggish, even if you get on it, but then all of a sudden, it'll kick in and at much higher rpms, but only for a breif second or two. Im wondering if it could be a timeing issue, or a top end issue?
any ideas would help,

tri again
05-19-2013, 04:13 AM
Hi and welcome.
Try the search key to get tons of suggestions in one click.

Is the gas new?
Most carbs enjoy a cleaning for sure.

The closest I ever get to 2 strokes is the chainsaw so I have no idea where to start.
can you click on:

service manual

Someone will surely chime in real soon.

Sounds like fun.

ps - what is the refernce to the clutch all about?

scottelagrange
05-19-2013, 09:47 AM
Update:
I took the carb off the jets are 130/50. inside of the carb is clean as can be.
I replaced the gas with a 32:1 ratio,
when the petcock valve is in the open position, gas does not come out.
if you turn it half way between off and on, it slowly comes out. seems like the gas should just pour right out.
Am i wrong to think this??
Anyways, I hooked up a straight hose to the carb, makeing sure it got pleanty of gas flow to the carb, same problems.

I was told that the basket in the clutch was the culprit, but even in neutral it boggs down when reved up.

SiiCHo
05-21-2013, 02:37 AM
Try 50:1 thats what i run mine on. Also it sounds more electrical than mechanical. Check your rotor/stator, also maybe the coil. Almost sounds like a weak spark or something. have you replaced the plug (and is it the right plug)? As far as gas not coming out, if there is any rust/debris in the tank i may have partially blocked the valve. Drain the tank and blow compressed air backwards trough the valve and see if that helps. This also sounds like it could be poor compression (bad piston ring possibly) without looking at the manual, i dont remember what the compression should be. An old school trick for checking your rings is to check it, spray wd40 in the plug hole, then check it again right away. If the compression jumps up on the first kick, then drops back down on subsequent kicks, its probably a bad ring.

Eta: while i may have just bought my 250r, i had a 84 odyssey with the same motor for years, the trans is different on those but the rest of the motor is identical, including the carb

SiiCHo
05-21-2013, 02:48 AM
Correction to the wd40 trick, it SHOULD jump up slightly then back down... If it doesnt change, then its a bad ring... I had it backwards... Give me a break its been 8 years since ive owned an atv of any sort. And after re-reading your original post, there is no "timing" on a 2 stroke, at least not in the same manner as a 4 stroke, as there are no valves. The only timing on a 2 stroke is your ignition, but there is no real adjustment, as it runs off the crank

scottelagrange
05-21-2013, 08:51 AM
I'll change the plug it tonight just to be safe.
then I'll check rotor/stator, and look at the coil.
as far as the wd-40 trick, do I put the plug back in before i check the compression,
i would think so.

SiiCHo
05-21-2013, 11:20 AM
you'll need a compression gauge, you wont be able to tell by feeling it, theyre not too expensive at your local auto parts store, and some places will let you rent one if you dont want to buy. if you've never used one, the hose for the gauge screws into the spark plug hole to read the pressure as the piston comes up.

manbearpig
05-21-2013, 11:27 AM
50:1 is a bit extreme for these motors. run a castor based mix oil and 32:1 should be fine.

sounds like you have a fuel flow issue and possibly a jetting issue. whats your altitude? have you done plug chops? what does your plug read?

if the bike is shifting through all the gears and the clutch isnt slipping, your clutch is fine. for good measure, change the trans fluid. make sure you use an oil thats suitable for a wet clutch application. the clutch would have nothing to do with how the bike revs or bogs

SiiCHo
05-21-2013, 11:37 AM
the wd40 works when you dont have a manual to tell you what the compression should be. the theory is that the wd-40 runs into the rings and creates a better seal for a couple strokes, and therefore should make the compression jump up. if you have a broken ring, damaged cylinder wall, or a hole in your piston, the wd wont make a damn bit of difference and you will see no change. thats a trick my grandfather taught me years ago...

SiiCHo
05-21-2013, 11:44 AM
not to hijack this thread or anything,

50:1 is a bit extreme for these motors. run a castor based mix oil and 32:1 should be fine.

just curious, would altitude play into what mixture you should run? the guy i bought my trike from said he ran it 50:1, but we are between 5000 and 6000 ft here in albuquerque, nm. some of the places we ride can be 7000 ft+. from what the guy i bought it from told me, mine still has stock jetting, but seems to run just fine, even at altitude...

barnett468
05-21-2013, 12:47 PM
Hello

The very best thing you can do is have someone video you riding it with sound or just video it yourself just sitting on it etc., and open the throttle several times so we can hear it, then put it on youtube.com then post the link to it here. Do NOT use high resolution.

2 STROKE OIL - Do not change your oil or ratio just yet. It is NOT the cause of your problem unless you mixed it 10:1.

TIMING - The ignition timing is adjustable and you should check it with a timing lite, it might be retarded.

GAS VALVE –Gas should fly out of ther so something is definitely plugging it as previously suggested. Remove the valve and clean the filters, clean hole on bottom. Dump gas and add new. Since it comes on in the middle the most it MAY be bad and in need of replacing.

JETTING – Since it starts easy and idles well your pilot jet and circuit is good and very near the correct size. Your main jet is the stock size, if your bike is stock the jet should be ok, if it has a pipe and porting or large carb it is too small.

QUESTIONS - If you answer ALL the following questions you will get the better suggestions. Answering only some of the questions will give an incomplete picture of the problem.

Do you know for sure how to tell if your clutch is slipping?

If not do you have a friend that can ride it and tell you?

If you ride it at 2/3 throttle [almost wide open] for 10 seconds what does it do?

Does it rev up high and stay there at 2/3 throttle?

Does it rev up high for a few seconds then reduce rpm all by itself?

What are ALL the numbers and letters and names on the outside of your carb?

Does it have an aftermarket pipe and/or small silencer?

Does it smoke?

What color is the smoke, lite gray or dark/black?

What is the number and brand of your plug?

What color is spark plug tip?

1. white?

2. lite tan?

3. dark tan?

4. dry black?

5. moist goey black?

Orig carb number is PE30A. Main jet 130, pg 18-3

IGNITION TIMING – Timing lite should flash on line next to F on flywheel and match up with the one on the backing plate at 2000 rpm or slightly less. Pg 18-3

Oem manual timing and carb settings. Pg 18-3

http://www.kb0nly.info/ATC/index.php?dir=ATC250R%2F

scottelagrange
05-21-2013, 10:38 PM
I will post up a video tomorrow.

Do you know for sure how to tell if your clutch is slipping?
*Yes, and I'm fairly sure it's not the clutch
If not do you have a friend that can ride it and tell you?
*n/a
If you ride it at 2/3 throttle [almost wide open] for 10 seconds what does it do?
* boggs down, no gain in power
Does it rev up high and stay there at 2/3 throttle?
*no
Does it rev up high for a few seconds then reduce rpm all by itself?
*for a very breif second it hits the high rpms, then back to bogging down
What are ALL the numbers and letters and names on the outside of your carb?
*PE30AaVB
Does it have an aftermarket pipe and/or small silencer?
*DG pipe/coffmans track pipe
Does it smoke?
*yes
What color is the smoke, lite gray or dark/black?
*very light gray, almost white
What is the number and brand of your plug?
*NGKR BR8ES
What color is spark plug tip?
* it was a little wet
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee307/scottelagrange/IMG_20130521_221506_963-1_zps7bee239c.jpg (http://s228.photobucket.com/user/scottelagrange/media/IMG_20130521_221506_963-1_zps7bee239c.jpg.html)