PDA

View Full Version : tank full of rust ? i got yr fix

zappaz
05-24-2013, 12:31 AM
gettin that rust outa yr tank is a pain !! been their to many times !
any co op or feed store sells molasses by the gallon & cheep ! get a gallon pour half in a 5 gallon bucket & top it off with water or a 10-1 mix
fill yr rusty tank with the mix . . dnt seal it its gota breath ! walk away and let it sit every now and then mixit up this will eat yr rust
after a couple days get ya sum jack chain ''the chain ya hang floracent lights with '' throw it in yr tank . seal it with the cap and shake the piss outa it .
do this when ever ya want just unseal the tank when yr done give this a week and yr tank will be rust free !
im not to shure but i dnt think this will work on plastic tanks . . . duh !

zappaz
05-24-2013, 12:32 AM
yeh and this mix is safe to toss out in the yard when yr done

tri again
05-24-2013, 01:00 AM
Very cool.

I just got lazy and pressure wash 'em out and leve them ugly, as long as they're
kept full of gas, no oxygen, no more rust.

The molasses sounds almost like mythbusters using coke a cola
to kill rust on car bumpers.

Good thinking.

zappaz
05-24-2013, 06:55 AM
im shure this aint a new method as its the pefered striper in the uk ''so i heard'' just tryin to get my 10 posts in with out using a bunch of worthless filler
and knowing this works i thought id share

dougspcs
05-24-2013, 07:49 AM
I'm with 'tri again' about this sounding like a myth busters thing.

I sure like to see a before/after pic if you have them.

kb0nly
05-24-2013, 09:35 AM
I can't see how molasses in any concentration could eat rust, knowing the chemical composition of it quite well from growing up on a farm, and the molasses lick barrels we gave to the cattle and how rusty the inside of those barrels were i doubt it!

I will stick to The Works toilet bowl cleaner or straight Muriatic Acid.

my1423
05-24-2013, 01:43 PM
Vinegar works great!
Eats all the rust and most varnish.
Add nuts screws, chains ect to speed it up and knock out big chunks.
Be careful, Also eats aluminum. Like the petcock.

Never heard of molasses.
What type? Many different ones. Maybe one of the waste products?

To clean your carb, pinsol soak, then elbow grease.

barnett468
05-24-2013, 02:08 PM
Hello

Does it work on pancakes?

thestud25
05-24-2013, 02:51 PM
Hello

Does it work on pancakes?

Look at you busting the newb's chops now...

Larry T Moore
05-24-2013, 04:32 PM
I hear it also works good a punture sealer...just fill the tires with it and roll!!!

tri again
05-24-2013, 04:39 PM
I hear it also works good a punture sealer...just fill the tires with it and roll!!!

I've got some really dead tires that I may just fill with that expanding foam.
but don't wanna hijack the thread.
Yeah, rust. There have to be 100 pages about rusttanks on here.

I just cleaned my gas cans with muritic acid.
say 50% for 2 days.
but I didn't care if it ruined the cans, but it worked real well.
Just has to be super toxic fumes.

Looked like smoke from a horror movie.

That toilet works almost has to be safer.
I also use oven cleaner to clean engines thinking it MAY be safer than
engine cleaner.
Then again, I believe the FDA as our safety is their main concern. LoL

Big G
05-24-2013, 05:05 PM
Look at you busting the newb's chops now...

Ha ha...I always thought barnett was 'straight faced' serious! He's coming out of his shell now :p

But back on topic, like others have said I'm skeptical of molasses, not to mention how difficult it would be to empty your tank of that crap afterwards. I've done 3 rusty ATC tanks to date using vinegar and she worked like a charm. Only thing you have to watch is the 'flash rust' afterwards.

tri again
05-24-2013, 05:21 PM
Ha ha...I always thought barnett was 'straight faced' serious! He's coming out of his shell now :p

But back on topic, like others have said I'm skeptical of molasses, not to mention how difficult it would be to empty your tank of that crap afterwards. I've done 3 rusty ATC tanks to date using vinegar and she worked like a charm. Only thing you have to watch is the 'flash rust' afterwards.

Amen.

I found some 'marine fogging oil' that sure seems to counteract the flash rust.
it happens so fast it frightening but the particles seems to be really really small compared to
chunkyrust.
I pressure wash, air blow, vacuum and then fog in some 'heet'
toi get the rest of the moisture out and then
bake in the sun for a few days to get them Bonedry.

hoosierlogger
05-24-2013, 06:28 PM
I do the vinegar soak and shake treatment. Then flush 2 or 3 times with water. Immediately followed by 2 rinses with acetone (to absorb the residual water), then I coat the inside with some motor oil till it goes back on the bike.

kb0nly
05-24-2013, 08:41 PM
I do the vinegar soak and shake treatment. Then flush 2 or 3 times with water. Immediately followed by 2 rinses with acetone (to absorb the residual water), then I coat the inside with some motor oil till it goes back on the bike.

I do about the same, but normally i will just refill with gas and toss on the bike, if its not going back on right away i spray down the inside with a liberal coat of wd-40 and then put the cap on, never rusts with that treatment.

fcf35
05-27-2013, 02:49 PM
White vinegar filled to the top.let sit over night or longer depending on how rusty.dump it out and rinse good with distilled water.if you have heavy rust the small chain works the best mainly because its easiest to get back out.you may notice pin holes in the seams or wherever gas had sat in the tank fir all those years.I've found that "seal all" works very good on the bottom of tanks and you can paint over it.don't rush the seal all because it really needs a minimum of 48 hours to properly work.if that wont cut it you'll have to line the tank.

zappaz
06-05-2013, 10:16 PM
ok so it sounds like a joke but if got 5 bucks to spend ul c it not only eats the rust but also blues it like a gun barel ive yet to learn how to post picks but as the vinegar molasses ferments witch is a as we all know turns to acachol witch turns to vinager its the fermenting prosses that gets the job done and with no costly chemicials

ps2fixer
06-06-2013, 01:12 AM
That changes perspective a bit, your just making vinager instead of just putting vinager in, in the first place.

Blueing metal normally requires quite a lot of heat, I don't understand how fermenting molasses would cause that? It might coat it or something, but I don't think it will blue it.

Are you posting with an iPhone or Tablet or something?

zappaz
06-08-2013, 09:49 PM
bluing is actualy a controled coreshion and if you doubters dnt wana belive that molasses eats rust thats fine with me if u wana c the total prosses of how it works or how to
do it please fell free to search it on you tube it just may compell you to spend the $5 and try it your self . as for me . . just sharing wat ive learned about ''fixin junk'' with low or no budget
and its a long way from vinager at this point its the same enzimes or wat ever ya call it but still off from vinegar

TVanHess
06-09-2013, 02:00 PM
Well that escalated quickly!

trikerman
06-11-2013, 04:14 PM
You can use some bbs and oil too, then seal it with a gas tank sealer