PDA

View Full Version : stop welding hubs to axle

fcf35
05-26-2013, 11:31 PM
recently traded a nice 82 110 for a 85 350x that was in boxes.i had a rolling chassis and the motor,brakes and a few other things where in boxes.so i get this thing mostly back together besides rear brakes and take it for a spin.when i got back i noticed the rear bearings where a little loose so i proceed to yank the rear axle when i see that someone as welded the hubs onto the axle on both sides.after burning up two grind wheels i said he heck with it and cut them off.i couldnt find a axle on ebay for a reasonable price so i bought a 250x rolling chassis sight unseen and had it delivered to my house while i was at work.couldnt wait to get home and yank that axle and to my suprise both hubs are welded on both sides.after striping all the rhino lliner off the plastic and forks on the the 350 that the PO thought was cool i thought i was in the clear until i ran across this welded mess of axles i had to work with.finally got me a good used axleand got it back together.please someone respond and tell me im not the only one whos ran across this stupidity.

ColtonGG33
05-26-2013, 11:48 PM
Nice 350x I think you got a good deal for it, even after buying a axle. If you go on Craigslist their are so many people that weld their hubs to the axle, it kind of ticks me off because of them are pretty nice but they screwed em up :lol: anyway I really like your 350x I always wanted one but their are priced ridiculously aroun here. Post up some more pics of this bad boy :)

fcf35
05-27-2013, 12:15 AM
yeah i guess some people think axle bearings are good forever.it just sucked because i can assure you of one thing.those axles are very very very strong.try tocut one in half even at the smallest point and youll see.i hate destroying good parts knowing that one day i could use it.i have more pics in my album to check out.my auto x is my cleanest bike that i have rightnow.i fix them up when i have the extra cash but i dont have to have the prettiest bike in town. as long as mine run and brakes work im good.

Larry T Moore
05-27-2013, 12:51 AM
lets go down the jack-ass list...hubs welded to axles....shifters welded to shift shafts...handlebars welded on....grab bars welded on..2 piece wheels welded together....Im sure theres more!!!

Buck Snort
05-27-2013, 12:58 AM
Yes I have been a victim of that stupide act too.

pipeline triker
05-27-2013, 09:19 AM
lets go down the jack-ass list...hubs welded to axles....shifters welded to shift shafts...handlebars welded on....grab bars welded on..2 piece wheels welded together....Im sure theres more!!!

Don't forget foot pegs.

Larry T Moore
05-27-2013, 11:35 AM
crap...forgot that one

captainweezy
05-27-2013, 01:45 PM
More than I can count!

RIDE-RED 250r
05-27-2013, 09:08 PM
I swear, there should be an application process for some people before they can own or even USE a welder!

I haven't come across the welded hubs yet myself, but I see quite a few machines for sale that say the hubs are welded. Only thing I can figure is it's a short-sighted fix for sloppy hubs and/or stripped axle nuts or threads on the axle ends. Either way, I couldn't bring myself to do it unless in the most dire situation you could imagine... Like stranded somewhere and life literally depending on it!

Ghostv2
05-27-2013, 10:44 PM
I recently got one where the rims were welded to the hubs. And the shifter was welded to the shaft to prevent it from slipping.

Larry T Moore
05-27-2013, 11:15 PM
I bought a 200m years ago with the rear rack welded on...had forgot then saw a pic...

fcf35
05-27-2013, 11:20 PM
yeah who ever welded these defenitly went by the code of bigger is always better.its like they where trying to see just how thick they could weld before their 5lb roll of wire ran out.i tried my best at saving the axle and hubs but there was just too much weld on them.

ColtonGG33
05-28-2013, 03:58 AM
Don't forgot sprockets that happens to me a couple times, god I hate idiots :lol:

Larry T Moore
05-28-2013, 07:12 AM
friend of mine called last night and we discussed this...he had a bike that the last guy had welded the oil drain plug on cause it leaked and laid the bike down to drain the oil out on the ground...

Howdy
05-28-2013, 09:03 AM
There are some machines where the axles are hard to find and or cost as much as the machine is worth when you do find a good one. In these cases I don't feel it's wrong to weld the hubs. I have a Suzuki LT 125 that the hub / axle is stripped almost smooth. I'm trying different things to fix it without welding, how ever I am pretty sure they will have to be welded if the machine is to be saved at all. If I weld the hub it will be just enough to hold it good and that's it.

If you wish to call be a idiot for welding when I have no other practical choise then so be it. Yea, I found a different axle for this machine, but they want $175 + shipping. Parting the machine out is out of the question as parting it might bring $150-$175 and take 2 years to sell. Plus I already have too much invested.

Now I have seen welded flywheels, front sprockets, shifters, brake drums, shocks, and 1 time I had one come in that had a strap welded to the gas tank to secure it to the machine. These things I do not like.
Howdy

fcf35
05-28-2013, 09:44 AM
There's a scrapyard in bradford Arkansas.the man has 2 acres of 3 and 4 wheelers.i know there's atleast 5 lt 125 there.if somebody needs stuff i go there every two weeks.

Ghostv2
05-28-2013, 01:20 PM
There's a scrapyard in bradford Arkansas.the man has 2 acres of 3 and 4 wheelers.i know there's atleast 5 lt 125 there.if somebody needs stuff i go there every two weeks.

Well you dont have to brag about it now.
We all cant be lucky and have that right in our neighborhood. ;)

Howdy
05-28-2013, 02:18 PM

I might consider this but first I have a guy coming to look at it tomorrow night. I already told him about the stripped hub / axle.
Howdy

fcf35
05-28-2013, 05:22 PM
I wasn't bragging about it im just saying that if anyone needs parts then i may ne able to get some.i only collect 3 wheelers with manual clutch so there's alot of stuff there someone else could use.

RIDE-RED 250r
05-28-2013, 08:09 PM
There are some machines where the axles are hard to find and or cost as much as the machine is worth when you do find a good one. In these cases I don't feel it's wrong to weld the hubs. I have a Suzuki LT 125 that the hub / axle is stripped almost smooth. I'm trying different things to fix it without welding, how ever I am pretty sure they will have to be welded if the machine is to be saved at all. If I weld the hub it will be just enough to hold it good and that's it.

If you wish to call be a idiot for welding when I have no other practical choise then so be it. Yea, I found a different axle for this machine, but they want $175 + shipping. Parting the machine out is out of the question as parting it might bring $150-$175 and take 2 years to sell. Plus I already have too much invested.

Now I have seen welded flywheels, front sprockets, shifters, brake drums, shocks, and 1 time I had one come in that had a strap welded to the gas tank to secure it to the machine. These things I do not like.
Howdy

That right there is the operative phrase and is what would separate an idgit from doing what you need to do to make it rideable till a reasonably priced axle can be hunted up. Big difference!

fcf35
05-28-2013, 09:38 PM
Yes i should have been more specific.a few spot welds with a good welder is one thing but solid welding front and back side of each hub is overkill.that's what I was referring to.that's goes for any part.I also have a 110 that has a 3/8 wrench for a shifter.I guess desperate times call for desperate measures.

Ghostv2
05-28-2013, 09:42 PM
Yes i should have been more specific.a few spot welds with a good welder is one thing but solid welding front and back side of each hub is overkill.that's what I was referring to.that's goes for any part.I also have a 110 that has a 3/8 wrench for a shifter.I guess desperate times call for desperate measures.

Thats a new one. Pics would be very interesting.

probed_out
05-29-2013, 02:30 AM
I have ran into welded hubs once on my buddies 200s he has we were going to swap the hubs off his junk Honda fourtrax 125 so he could use the wheels and tires that were on the fourtrax but the hub was welded on kind of made us mad we couldn't jut swap the tires the wheels were different sizes and the bolt pattern was different

King Trikester
10-13-2013, 01:31 PM
ha, well im glad im not the only one with welded hubs, I picked up a 200es the other day and I did not realized that the hubs where welded, also the shifter and to top it off a thin pieces of plastic with what looks like super glue attempting to repair a whole in the side wall of the front tire.

CodyRosa
10-13-2013, 01:40 PM
I don't find welding a shifter to be stupid. If the shifter shaft is stripped then it'd have to be replaced anyways. If its just the shifter thats bad then I could see that being stupid. I had to weld my shifter because the shaft was smooth all the way. I have a weld on grab bar as well.. but my frame was cut off at the back where the bar bolts to. I also have welded on foot peg, bolt was never coming out and broke off inside.

The peg is the only thing i wish wasn't welded but then again its just a small weld nothing big.

Jason125m
10-13-2013, 02:13 PM
I consider welding anything that doesn't need to be as stupid. I could see being stranded in the trails, stripped shift shaft, and finding a house , and using their welder to get home, but as a permanent fix? No way, fix it right. Bolts can be drilled, shafts can be replaced. Axles can be found cheap, same with hubs.

The PO of my 86R welded a grab bar to the frame. What a pain it was to grind off, and make it look untouched.

manbearpig
10-13-2013, 02:19 PM
jb weld head gasket, base gasket, and carb boot sealer...

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/161399-JB-Weld-More-versatile-than-you-thought...?highlight=jb+weld

hondamanshawn
10-13-2013, 06:38 PM
My shifter was wielded on...my friend bought a quad that the exhaust was wielded to the motor.

King Trikester
10-13-2013, 07:57 PM
oh ya i forgot the jb weld on the carb intake, that would be ok for a temp fix to get you home but thats it, some peoples children these days

keller0658
10-15-2013, 03:31 PM
never happened to me, hope it never does

Mosh
10-15-2013, 08:47 PM
There are some broke/cheap/ uneducated mo-fo's out there...everything from trashcan lids for fenders to old Thin Lizzy t-shirts for seatcovers and coffee cans with a pair of pantyhose for a filter. And it all seemss to revolve around certain regions , many three wheelers , and mid 80s atv's. It completely backs up many theories that most of the machines were drug out from grandpa's old shed for free. Problem is grandpa is not around any longer to teach these kids how to do something right.

Many times we see the result of said stupidity and cheapness a topic of tech discussion on forums like these.

And right below the (my coffee can air filter 200s needs re-jetted ) threads , you get a ( wouldn't it be cool if Honda made a new modern trike 450) thread...The reality is about .000003% of people would or could even afford one..and it will ultimately wind up in the hands of someone with no money and cheap stick welder anyway...with the hubs welded on..

Save the welding of hubs and lawn mower gas tanks for the friggin apocolypse....which may not be far off with this current society...

Or maybe...instead of people being uneducated they could be considered the fathers of necessity of invention.
As long as stuff is avaialable though it should be fixed right.

Schmoore Racing
10-15-2013, 11:04 PM
A friend of mine bought a 200x whose previous owner was welder happy as well. the hubs were welded, shifter,, front sprocket, the rear grab bar was made of angle iron. the worst was even the lugnuts were welded on one side. I agree if it is a dire situation but if it can be fixed right just fix it. that being said some trikes aren't worth a whole lot so I can see the side of where it is easier and cheaper to weld. it is almost disheartening to someone who actually respects atc the way the need to be.

ps2fixer
10-20-2013, 08:42 AM
My shifter was wielded on...my friend bought a quad that the exhaust was wielded to the motor.

I had that with my 350x I got. He welded the header to the engine, and where the header goes into the exhaust pipe. The welds were complete crap and were overly HUGE!

Pics -

200es rims with bolts welded inside for chains
250sx with 250es front end + rear racks w\ fenders from a 250es welded to the frame
350x exhaust welding + other fancy stainless metal work (including airbox lid!).

spark23ca
10-20-2013, 08:29 PM
my buddie did that ..welded just the nut to an axle cause it the hub was stripped and the nut would over tighten...used 7018 wich is a really really strong rod it just spun it right off first ten feet ..its better just to wait to be able to get the parts then cheep out

ps2fixer
10-21-2013, 12:26 AM
my buddie did that ..welded just the nut to an axle cause it the hub was stripped and the nut would over tighten...used 7018 wich is a really really strong rod it just spun it right off first ten feet ..its better just to wait to be able to get the parts then cheep out

Haha so the forward direction was the take off direction for the axle nut for the hub :D. Would have worked better hub welded to axle and have eveyone made at him for it here :P.

big specht
10-21-2013, 05:26 PM
[QUOTE=Mosh;1259793]There are some broke/cheap/ uneducated mo-fo's out there...everything from trashcan lids for fenders to old Thin Lizzy t-shirts for seatcovers and coffee cans with a pair of pantyhose for a filter.
LOL I have done some of that stuff and have some bikes with that stuff on them now LOL ( socks make better filters ) until they get sucked thru the carb :wondering and come out the plug hole LOL

David Ham
10-21-2013, 07:57 PM
Crazy some of the things that people weld together!

ps2fixer
10-22-2013, 01:37 AM
[QUOTE=Mosh;1259793]There are some broke/cheap/ uneducated mo-fo's out there...everything from trashcan lids for fenders to old Thin Lizzy t-shirts for seatcovers and coffee cans with a pair of pantyhose for a filter.
LOL I have done some of that stuff and have some bikes with that stuff on them now LOL ( socks make better filters ) until they get sucked thru the carb :wondering and come out the plug hole LOL

Agreed, 4 layers of socks really work well, big time if they are worn out and extra holy errr holey :D. FYI, zip ties help keep them from trying to become the fuel.

I ran my 200es with a sock filter for like 3 months before I bought a filter for it lol. Oddly it gets dusty/dirty quicker than the normal filter, must be less surface area. This was also when I was like 16 lol.

spark23ca
10-22-2013, 11:25 PM
its nice to have things work the way they are supposed to ..but some things are just beaters ..some people are just trying to get a couple months out of something ...although my big red 250 looks like a temporary bike i want to ride it forever no matter how it looks.i try to get the parts i can for it ..welding to the axles is crazy tho i had a friend with a machine shop and he said metal like the axle rod is too strong to weld..it makes it brittle when you weld to it ...if ya weld something and run a file over the bead of weld after it cools and it don't make a mark..you welded too hard of metal and you got something about half as strong as it would be stock..i've migged on shifters for friends ...but just so they could get em off with a die grinder easily when they got new parts...small town longer to wait for good parts ..

ebaccm26
10-22-2013, 11:31 PM
Agreed, 4 layers of socks really work well, big time if they are worn out and extra holy errr holey :D. FYI, zip ties help keep them from trying to become the fuel.

I ran my 200es with a sock filter for like 3 months before I bought a filter for it lol. Oddly it gets dusty/dirty quicker than the normal filter, must be less surface area. This was also when I was like 16 lol.

Washcloths and trash bag ties works too apparently :wondering. Pulled this out of a 225dx a while back, it also happened to be soaked...maybe they only had one washcloth to share for showering and filtering??

spark23ca
10-22-2013, 11:32 PM
that guy should have his welder taken away from him...thats a 350x for gods sakes ..even a good welder woudlnt be able to make that stay ..exhaust should never be solid to the engine or frame its got to have flex ...thats a good way to have the bolts that hold the cylinder down snapped off ..somethings got to give

fallguy666
10-23-2013, 12:41 AM
that guy should have his welder taken away from him...thats a 350x for gods sakes ..even a good welder woudlnt be able to make that stay ..exhaust should never be solid to the engine or frame its got to have flex ...thats a good way to have the bolts that hold the cylinder down snapped off ..somethings got to giveum,no.my 350x is bone stock and the exhaust can not and will not flex!!! If the motor had rubber mounts and was allowed to move a little you would be correct.seeing as how the motor is bolted in place,and does not move,neither does the exhaust

ps2fixer
10-23-2013, 02:04 AM
Washcloths and trash bag ties works too apparently :wondering. Pulled this out of a 225dx a while back, it also happened to be soaked...maybe they only had one washcloth to share for showering and filtering??

Haha great quality work there, it must have been running to lean, so they tried to cut off more air going into it to force the carb to suck more gas.... maybe it was too much gas O.o.

gootheboy
11-02-2013, 12:01 PM
i had to cut a finishline axle off my 86 broke my heard but spent way to much time trying to un weld the hubs. guess its karma. i will have to admit that i did this for a friend's big red. he needed to change the rear sprocket and the hub was welded on but not real well. so i ground it off changed the sprocket and chain and welded it back on. when i was done i bought it. never did much with it bc of the high low getting bound up. i was 17 and was handy with a welder and grinder but not the sharpest tool in the shed. still don't claim to be but if there is a mistake to make i'll find a way to make it

sanchez
11-03-2013, 12:18 PM
Formerly being a pipewelder and always being me i have a fix but it does require welding.

Most peaple never reinforce the stripped spline stabilize thehub with some tacs on the non nut side
Between the hub an axle drill and tap for Allenhead set screws as many as u can install as u go, this replaces the splines
Finish with a couple real welds in between tacs

A kicker for a dt 100 i got stripped, this one their is no need for welding. Just drill and tap in between the two stripped pieces again this time set the screw in then tighten as before my need shimming.
On this bike the kicker is aluminium, shaft steel to limit drill bit wander if doing this by hand; mount emery on flat hard surface, spin drill backwards against the emery on its side, u are dulling the whole side of the pilot drill this helps wander. Again u are only dulling the side if your drill bit' not any part of the tip

But finally anyone with a welder an foresight knows ONLY PUT A WELD WERE YOU! YES YOU CAN GRIND IT OUT

ps2fixer
11-04-2013, 01:24 AM
I had the sprocket hub welded onto my NASA plus five axlefor my 250r in 2012. Back in the 80s I was practicing motocross and flat track racing with my 82 250r quad .When I was in a full pitch sideways the quad stopped . When I got off to check what happened the sprocket hub and spocket were still spinning on the axle. I tapped the hub back on and didnt touch it until 2012 when I was building my 81 250r back up. Since I had it welded I have trail rode ,MX practiced and TT raced it . 180213 180214

Catcher with that one... you can still service it with out grinding the welds off. Now if your left hub was welded on too, that is what this thread would be ranting about lol.

sanchez
11-04-2013, 12:06 PM
Atc300r showing it done rite, good save, nice work, wish u were the guy welding 1/2'' rebar to my 87200x for a grab bar. Big bubble gum looking no penetration.... oh wait u would have never done that in the first place. Wish i had pictures that x is the bike i got that oops $300 went from nice roller to ignored becouse it got way to much weld on it