PDA

View Full Version : bought a 85 atc 250r

probed_out
05-28-2013, 12:06 AM
hey guys I bought a 250r a few weeks ago I paid $1000 for it, it is missing a few things but it runs pretty good I have been riding it everywhere I love being able to fly up a hill and have back off the throttle because ill catch major air if I don't lol

here's a picture of it

http://i703.photobucket.com/albums/ww31/austinjensen_123/0518173011_zps2093b44a.jpg (http://s703.photobucket.com/user/austinjensen_123/media/0518173011_zps2093b44a.jpg.html)

I need to find some seat brackets and new plastic and lights but its pretty clean

fcf35
05-28-2013, 12:45 AM
That's definitely a good starting point.hey as long as it runs you can just buy a little here and there until you get everything.tip from me.sit down and figure out everything you need then wait till you have all of it before you install.they way your bike is now it would be a shame not to freshen her with some paint and a little polish before you put new plastic on.not much worse than new shiny plastic sitting on a dingy frame.its worth a week of not riding to tear her down and give her a make over.

Ghostv2
05-28-2013, 01:29 AM
I always wondered how do they compare to the more modern 2 strokes? Like blasters and other similar sized 2 stroke bikes.

RIDE-RED 250r
05-28-2013, 08:19 PM
No comparison between a 250r and a Blaster! Yeah the Blaster isn't that much smaller, but if you have ever had the topend off a Blaster and saw the tiny intake and simple porting layout you would clearly see the difference compared to an R cylinder...

Heck, Vito's still sells the 240 big bore kit for the Blaster and they CLAIM up to 33hp with their kit and of course the usual supporting mods... A stock R was in the ballpark of 37hp right off the dealership floor, or so the experts say.....

No comparison between the 2, BUT the Blaster is a pretty fun little mini-braap-braap.... ;) I guess part of what makes it fun is the whole quad is scaled down in size...

The R vs bikes is a whole other story... I just got an '02 CR125 and I have to say, I'm pretty sure that bike would sneak by my 250r. Don't think it would beat my 350r though... The last of the 250cc 2-stroke bikes are just plain animals!! Bikes are a totally different ballgame....Takes a really well built 250r or other comparable ATV to run with or beat a 250 2-stroke bike of the last years they were made....

Probed_out: Any R that runs and is fairly mechanically sound is worth a G all day long round my neck of the woods. She definitely needs some love, but you seem to have a great starting point! :)

Ghostv2
05-28-2013, 09:15 PM
Well i just traded my blaster for a nice 200x all rebuilt and bored and all that good stuff. So i was just wondering how they compared, im not really use to any other 2 strokes. Maybe one day ill have the privilege to own a nice R.

They must be the ultimate wheelie bike though with that power.

RIDE-RED 250r
05-28-2013, 09:19 PM
Well i just traded my blaster for a nice 200x all rebuilt and bored and all that good stuff. So i was just wondering how they compared, im not really use to any other 2 strokes. Maybe one day ill have the privilege to own a nice R.

They must be the ultimate wheelie bike though with that power.

Yes they are!!

What year 200x did you get??? (not to wander off point too much ;))

Ghostv2
05-28-2013, 09:26 PM
83, have not been able to ride it yet besides putting around the yard from a cast on my arm so im trying to fix it up during my downtime. Heres a few pics, somewhat. :p
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/158330-200x-questions-w-pics?highlight=200x