PDA

View Full Version : 84 yamaha 200e shaft no spark

Jordyraye
05-28-2013, 11:04 PM
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum. Name is Jordy and I have an 84 yamaha 200e shaft. It's two years younger than I am. My issue is that there is no spark. I traced it down to the ignition source coil in the stator. I ordered one from RMstator and installed it and there was a little spark. Poured some gas in the head, hit the starter and it fired. Victory!! NOT. Put everything together filled it with gas, hit the starter and it cranked, fuel got in the cylinder but wouldn't fire, pulled the plug no spark. Tested the coils in the stator and they seem good. Tried a new plug and still nothing. The ignition coil now seems to have nothing. Is this a fluke and the ignition coil only had one last breath of life? I'm not 100% sure that this coil is dead but I don't know what else to try. Help a brother out?

tri again
05-28-2013, 11:26 PM
Hi and welcome.
Honda guy here but lots of similarities.

Have you tried the search key for "no spark" ?
Generally, all electrical connections, especially grounds.
coil mounts may need to ground to frame.
Is it electric start? if so, it may spark with kicker and not the e start.

If the spark plug cap screws to the coil wire, unscrew it and see if the wire is corroded.
I've nipped the last tiny bit off of a coil wire and had life altering results.

Have you been leaning on the kill switch?
We've ALL lost spark due to a mispositioned kill switch.

Someone with better insight will surely chime in soon.

Jordyraye
05-29-2013, 12:08 AM
Yeah I've double checked everything, I even took the boot off and tested for continuity from the orange wire on the coil to the wire where the boot goes on. Nothing. I'm guessing the coil needs to be replaced, but if anyone knows for sure. Let me k ow