PDA

View Full Version : 85 atc 250sx swingarm

hondadude6969
05-29-2013, 10:18 AM
hey all, new to three wheeler world, hope someone can help. I aquired an 85 250sx. The swingarm bearings are toast and so is the lock nut to get the swingarm off. The nut is mauled bad. Any way to get it off that you know of. I dont mind replacing the nut and shaft. Any knowledgable help would be greatly appriciated! Thanks!!

Flyingw
05-29-2013, 10:47 AM
There is a tool used to get them off. Its basically a socket with four fingers cut. Its best if the socket is put on an impact.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Swingarm-nut-tool-CBR-CBX-GL-VTX-CB-ATC-Goldwing-fourtrax-shadow-valkyre-/200847605272?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2ec3733e18&vxp=mtr#ht_171wt_934

Once you get the lock nut off, you will need a bolt with a 17mm head and two nuts locked on to the threaded end.

hondadude6969
05-29-2013, 11:20 AM
I think the nut is beyond using the tool :wondering

Larry T Moore
05-29-2013, 02:49 PM
the PO of my bike cut a slot in the arm and turned with a hammer and punch...not my choice of ways..but it worked...

Flyingw
05-29-2013, 04:25 PM
If the lock nut isnt serviceable enought o get it off then your only other recourse is to cut the swingarm pivot bolt with a recripocating saw

hondadude6969
05-29-2013, 05:13 PM
spanx fellers! Ill get that thing off. Ill try slotting it first and if no go ill cut that bad boy sawsall metal blade style and buy a new one. Thanks again! My next purchase will be the 350x! My cousin has two and i love those things, too bad i'd have to shoot him to get one off him LOL.

tri again
05-29-2013, 11:36 PM
yeah, that 4 fingered thing is really just a locknut that
probably turns 1/16th of a turn before it comes loose, if that's still a possibility.
Not sure if you could somehow cut that locknut or somehow drill without messing up the threads on the swinger.
I should really go look at one and stop relying on my memory.

now wait a minute...each side is different.
one has a nub on the swingarm to hold the tapered bearing and you do not want that cut.
PLEASE make sure you look at a parts diagram before going cro magnon on it.

Man o man, you have all my sympathy.
What these poor things go through before we get them is amaZing.

Worst case is it WILL come apart and new stuff or used is still avail.

If you've never ridden an sx, be warned, you'll never be the same and you'll probably wind up with a couple more just on general principles.
It happens to all of us.

edit
i just search keyed for sx swingarm but didn't see any pix but lots of good swingarm tips.
Maybe I'll try bikebandit for a parts pic.
Just don't wanna go from bad to worse.

tri again
05-30-2013, 12:08 AM
I found some 250sx swingarm pictures on ebay.
one with the nub on the swinger has a rusty tapered bearing left on it so you can see
whatcher up against.
I tried to save the picture to post here but sometimes we can't save ebay pictures.

I couldn't find a regular parts diagram for some reason.

you'll get it.

edit
I double clicked on the pix and they became saveable.
Can you see the nub on the driveshaft tube that holds the tapered wheelbearing looking thing?

We also got replacement bearings and seals at a local bearing supply pretty cheap too.
They just matched them up.
Preload as you would any generic tapered front wheel bearing from a car or read the manual for the correct way.

Races can be a bear to get out but the search key hasd tons of suggestions.
Some folks have even put a wooden dowel in the swingarm (correction, frame tube that the swing straddles) to take up space and then a grease fitting to grease the bearings with a gun..

ps2fixer
06-06-2013, 03:23 AM
My last 250sx I bought I took the whole rear end out to replace it with 250es parts, I don't have that special tool, so I just used a bad front axle from a 185s and tighened the 17mm bolt to another one to double lock it, then use the other end with a 17mm socket and a large breaker bar to take out the swing arm bolt. The lock nut didn't slow me down much :). Punch + hamer does work, isn't very exact, and does cause a little damage to the lock nut, but my bolt has not fallen out yet!

If you have the allen wrench for it, you might be able to get it loose with just that, I used this method on a 250es at my dad's place about a year ago, but there was basically 0 rust on that machine.

spookydoggg
06-06-2013, 04:15 AM
I have everything you need to fix it.

tri again
06-06-2013, 07:18 AM
My last 250sx I bought I took the whole rear end out to replace it with 250es parts, I don't have that special tool, so I just used a bad front axle from a 185s and tighened the 17mm bolt to another one to double lock it, then use the other end with a 17mm socket and a large breaker bar to take out the swing arm bolt. The lock nut didn't slow me down much :). Punch + hamer does work, isn't very exact, and does cause a little damage to the lock nut, but my bolt has not fallen out yet!

If you have the allen wrench for it, you might be able to get it loose with just that, I used this method on a 250es at my dad's place about a year ago, but there was basically 0 rust on that machine.

Great idea.
If you can get a nice bite on the 17mm it should just walk right past that silly locknut.

ps2fixer
06-06-2013, 07:27 AM
Great idea.
If you can get a nice bite on the 17mm it should just walk right past that silly locknut.

In both of my cases, the locknut came out with the main bolt and I was able to loosen the "lock nut" by hand after that ;).