PDA

View Full Version : Help Me Rehab My Dream ** New 350X Owner *thanks

b.clevenger
05-29-2013, 11:22 PM
Ok so I"ve been creeping around for a long time. Short term member. And this is my first post. Four days ago I hit the list and spotted a listing that read three wheeler 350 -
$450. First thought its to good to be true next thought head out of ass and call. 18hrs later $460 delivered to my door running a running 86' 350x.170426 Well check this child hood dream off my bucket list. I got one now the fun part getting her reliable. So her goes my list of ? for you the trike gods.

1. what common issues do these bad girls have (i.e. frame, stator, switches, ect.) and where do I start to get her back to a one kick cold start bike

2. there are a couple of oil leaks around a couple of standard head screws above the spark plug (see pic)170429 how do I stop them and what are these screws for

3. there is a oil leak coming from the front valve cover is this common and with the other oil leak does this head need rebuilt.

4. I found a two cracks on the sub frame where the seat locks is this a big deal or can i just weld it and run 170428

5. the first day I rode it when I would get into it then let off it would load up and die then it would take 5-10 min of kicking to get it going did this like two or three times but
then I only cracked the petcock and it ran a good deal better I'm thinking carb and possibly petcock rebuild. are the petcocks worth rebuilding

6. The suspension is spent and needs rebuilt the shrader valves on the fork legs are all jacked up does anyone have a set or recommend a place for repops. and how do I set up the suspension for myself as for the sag and preload I'm 6'1" 215 lbs mostly trail and mud riding

I sure this list will grow and yes I'm burning up the search button so please just help I'm looking like crazy these are just the one i cant find or missed so if there is a thread please link me to it thanks.

I end by saying I have no clue why they put six gears in this bad girl by the third I'm giggling and smiling so hard i cant see a damn thing anyway. 170427170430

tri again
05-30-2013, 12:31 AM
Hi and welcome.
See if you can get the search key to work.
You'll get tons of pages in one click.

Love the 3rd gear comment.
My gf is the same way.
No matter what's been on the news for the day, it's an ear to ear grin for sure.

fcf35
05-30-2013, 12:39 AM
hey brother,any 350x is a good 350x.just the fact that you have one is something to be proud of.i would love to buy a mint 350x but i dont usually have that kinda cash.theres something about building your own and learning about it that makes you appreciate it alot more.you definitly will end up dropping some cash into it over time but thats what its about.learn your bike so you wont have to pay people to work on it for you.if your anything like me you wont want to think theres much wrong with it and youll tinker till you cant tinker anymmore.its taken me a quite few bikes to realize that if theres "any"noticeable engine problems at all,oil leaks,what seem to be carb problems even after you thoroughly clean the carb etc then its best to just yank that motor and give it a good run through and any problems fix them before you really do some damage.you have to treat them like what they are"things that arent made any more and everyday that goes by there are less parts to fix them".theres nothing you cant learn between 3ww,google and youtube.oscarmmayer.net has your manual.you already know it starts and runs so just do a compression check and see where your at.if you see oil anywhere on that motor then its probably time to crack it open anyway.far as the shocks go you can have them rebuilt but if their really shot you may have to find some good used ones.i have two rightnow that i can only stare at because one needs timing chain and the other needs carrier and axle put in.actually pulled a muscle fooling around with pulling and reinstalling those motors.their a little on the heavy side.ihope you get her running good and if theres any question that i can answer i will defenitly help you.

Larry T Moore
05-30-2013, 12:42 AM
poor thing....suffered the indignity of being camo'ed

Ghostv2
05-30-2013, 12:50 AM
Yea, that would seem to me to be the biggest chore. Getting rid of all that ugly camo.

b.clevenger
05-30-2013, 08:18 AM
yes the camo was done by the old owner because the old front fender had some scratches so he went after the whole thing camo style jacking up clean oem plastics even went one step past the camo by drilling holes o attach some rubber mat all the way down for giant mud flaps just my luck lol thanks so far for the info please keep it coming thanks

dougspcs
05-30-2013, 08:57 AM
yes the camo was done by the old owner because the old front fender had some scratches so he went after the whole thing camo style jacking up clean oem plastics even went one step past the camo by drilling holes o attach some rubber mat all the way down for giant mud flaps just my luck lol thanks so far for the info please keep it coming thanks

The most recent 350X I found also came to me defaced in this manner..

What the heII do people think about as they do this. But then the upside was I stole it since no one that saw his add on CL would come and look at it. It takes a special eye to see thru that!!

Anyway a bit of hard work and now it's this..

not perfect, but then I just wanted a rider not a garage queen.

When you get to that stage let me know, I can give you a fairly quick clean up talk thru..

If you are gonna mud that machine you seriously need a swing arm plate..I can send you the link for a really heavy one I found too.

Not sure what to tell you about the cracks..except OUCH. I've been lucky I suppose..owned four 350Xs and all had crack free frames. There are lots of guy in here with experience on that..it's a definite must fix!