PDA

View Full Version : 87 Honda Big Red tune-up tips

javyn2
05-30-2013, 12:08 PM
I have a 87 Honda Big Red that I'm trying to sell and was wondering if anyone has some easy tune-up tips that would make it run a little better. The low end sucks, not much torque and gets easily bogged down in first and 2nd gear. Any hints or tricks?

kb0nly
05-30-2013, 12:17 PM
Check and see if its running lean or rich, read the plug!

Other than that, if the timing is right, good spark, etc. It's about all you can do without going into detail, compression check, etc.

dougspcs
05-30-2013, 12:32 PM
25 year old carb..

remove carb and clean thoroughly, remove tank, flush and replace fuel..new plug.

works every time..

You can go after the tough stuff, but since timing isn't adjustable and most people don't own a compression gauge..I'd start with the fuel system.

tri again
05-30-2013, 03:25 PM
All great advice.
I'd personally start from ez first.
Fresh gas and sparkplug. It MAY just work for you.
Carb cleaning is almost always the next 'first' step, altho I've
rerun machines that have sat idle for a few years, usually if the gas has been drained
from the tank and carb.
Next for me would be valve adjust.

Of course, an oil change is always a good idea and don't forget the
17mm cap on the rear axle for gear oil. It's only 3 ounces or so and is very important.
Does it run any better with a little choke?

I wish it was closer.
Sounds like an easy fix for sure.
Good luck and please keep us posted and we'll get you to the next step if needed.

javyn2
05-30-2013, 03:54 PM
I dont think fuel is the problem since ive ran it off and on since i recovered from my grandpa a couple years ago and i always put stabil in the tank every winter. Its raining out right now, and i may take it mudding here after a while since my dad told me to just run it. I may pull the plug and check it when the weather clears up or here later today. I do know that the air filter is nasty. The oils have been changed a couple times over the years. What exactly am i looking for on the sparkplug?

tri again
05-30-2013, 04:07 PM
Sparkplug color tells a story.
Black and cruddy or light brown.
Light brown is best from what I've heard.

I've also had great success with unscrewing the spark plug cap
and nipping the last tiny bit off the plug wire so the cap has fresh copper to bite into.

Glad to hear it's been run off and on.

Maybe try draining the float bowl in case there's a little moisture in there? sucking up off idle? and you'll get to see if the fuel flow is healthy through the strainer.

After working on these things, I usually get someone to go run them while I put my tools away.

Pls keep us posted.
Sounds ez, whatever it is since it seems to be a simple case of barnlazy.

Does it run better with the choke on a little?

I'll probably get yelled at but they should actually run with the aircleaner off
for test purposes.
If that sponge rubber is crumbly or soaked and disgusting, it can also make it bog down
like it's being choked too much.
If it's raining, you shouldn't have to worry about dust on a short ride.

javyn2
05-30-2013, 09:06 PM
It ran pretty darn good when i took it out for 3 hours, granted i got very stuck trying to keep up with my 4wd friends.. I cleaned it up some and ran new gas through it. It's running a lot better, i may still mess with the sparkplug tomorrow in the daylight. How much do you think my atv is worth?

kb0nly
05-31-2013, 01:49 AM
Spark plug reading seems to be a lost art, i tell guys all the time to check the plug, they pull it out, look at it, and put it back in and exclaim the plug is just fine...LOL

There is a lot of websites with good examples of plug reading but here is the basics...

Toss in a fresh plug, run it for a while getting the motor up to temp and sustain it for a while to get a good image of whats going on in the motor, then pull the plug and look at the normally white insulator around the center contact of the plug.

Black and wet - Rich
Tan - Just Right
White or even blistered - Lean
Black and sooty or even oily - Burning Oil

This is just the basics, there is a lot more symptoms you can detect on a plug but these will get you running right at least!

dougspcs
05-31-2013, 06:57 AM
How much do you think my atv is worth?

Since you haven't provided us any pics or info from which to judge the condition, how do you expect we might be able to answer this?

javyn2
05-31-2013, 06:39 PM
I pulled the plug that was in it already and it was kinda black at the base of the white insulator under where the spark is made. Everything below the top seemed kinda just black and sooty. It was running about 55 MPH on gravel roads yesterday though. I honestly just want to get this atv running good enough to sell. 17049517049617049717049817049917050017050117050217 0503170504

javyn2
06-02-2013, 12:15 PM
Would anyone be willing to review the pictures I uploaded and offer what they think it is worth? I'd really appreciate it.

Big G
06-03-2013, 07:10 PM
Too bad she spent so much time in the sun...Did a number to that plastic.

javyn2
06-03-2013, 09:39 PM
Yeah, it's faded pretty bad... My grandpa didn't shed her until he was done with her around 20 years ago and he bought her new in 1987

Atc70noob
06-05-2013, 10:56 AM
I thought 86 was the last year for the 250 Big Red? I have an 86 and I know it is priceless to me since my dad handed it down to us and we use it on our land out in the boonies. It has always been so reliable.

dougspcs
06-05-2013, 12:11 PM
Someone went all McGyver on the trunk/battery holder and exhaust too..

Such a shame!!