PDA

View Full Version : Any tire guys in here??

atc007
06-01-2013, 09:48 PM
Long story short. I pinched a brand new 16.9/24 tube on the back of my chopper tonight. Brand new tube. Knew better,working in the dusk,,,thought I was good to go. Know all the secrets lol.. Anyhow,tore around the valve stem. USED to be we would just vulcanize a patch on. But of course our Government decided that is too dangerous and they are not sold in the USA anymore. This isn't a dictatorship right??! Anyhow, I understand I can get a vulcanizing patch out of country,but does anyone else know how to patch a big ol valve stem back onto the tube? It's tore about half off. Thanx !
Kind of answered my own question on ebay. I know the stuff you get now " vulcanizes" with a chemical reaction. guess my actual question was. Has anyone seen a patch that goes over a valve stem. Keeping in mind the size of this sucker.

El Camexican
06-01-2013, 10:22 PM
I you send me a photo of one of those old patches and can wait a few weeks I may be able to get something down here and send it to you.

atc007
06-01-2013, 10:33 PM
Thanx. Looks like I'll be fine. Tire game has changed since I've been out of the swing ! I'm gonna cut my own hole and be just fine. I think .....lol. Thanx again man !!

Cave Rider
06-01-2013, 11:14 PM
Chopper ?!? You ride a Harley ??? Jkjk...tis the season to be busting ass on a farm !!! I wish I could help w this one,sorry

kb0nly
06-01-2013, 11:14 PM
Hmm, you saying we can't get tire patches here? This is news to me, i just had a tube patched two weeks ago, a local small shop here did it for me. I take all my tires and tubes to him.

atc007
06-02-2013, 07:33 AM
Chopper ?!? You ride a Harley ??? Jkjk...tis the season to be busting ass on a farm !!! I wish I could help w this one,sorry

Lol,, Never crossed my mind,,lol. Another member emailed me about it. Asking if it was a hard tail lol. It's a John Deere 6910 Forage Harvester. And unfortunately it's just for resale,I lease my hay out now :(. How's that shoulder healing,and where is my 90 ! lol.. KB, patches are available and they are actually just as good as the old burn on galvanized ones{ Camel}. But the govt did ban them,the old style ones I mean.

Scootertrash
06-02-2013, 08:45 AM
I remember the old burn style tire patches! I bet my old man still has the little clamp thingy you used to hold the patch in place while it burned.

kb0nly
06-02-2013, 08:54 PM
Huh ok, i didn't realize they banned them, they are still floating around the small shops here.

MTS
06-02-2013, 10:28 PM
They do make "new" stem patch's you can put on, cut the old off, buff clean cement and stick it on...but i find the tubes are hardly worth the hassle for the price now, have actually had alot of problems with the "new" korean stuff lately brass not vulcaninized into the rubber right, molding issues ect,,,pain in the ass might have to dig them stem patch's out..lol.

atc350xer
06-03-2013, 09:46 PM
I remember the old burn style tire patches! I bet my old man still has the little clamp thingy you used to hold the patch in place while it burned.I still have my dad's patch kit(with clamp), I used it on my daughter's bicycle last year. Still have a few patches, I guess I'd better be stingy with them!