PDA

View Full Version : New to the board, Just picked up an 82 200!

FourLocked
06-02-2013, 05:49 PM
Hey, new guy here. Always wanted a trike of my own never had the chance at one.
Yesterday I made the trip across the pond to pick her up. It's a 1982, 200cc (verified the 192 on back side of the jug), no suspension, downshift pattern. Does this sound right for the 1982 year? Looks like the headlights been modified over factory, and it's missing the front brake handle and cable setup, no big deal.

It wasn't warmed up when I first seen it, so initial fireup was good. Took it for a quick 2 minute burn and loaded it up. He mentioned he put mixed fuel in it and that was the reason it smoked... Got it home, fresh fuel, fresh oil - 20w50, and once warm it smokes pretty good. Down the trail it's a steady cloud behind me --- Not good!

So I did some reading before I signed up to the forum, there was a post saying if you remove your crank case breather tube if it has smoke coming out then it verifies the rings are toast? This is blowby? correct? At idle theres a lot of air being forced out of that crank case port.

Other than that, I took some air out of the tires to absorb some impact and its a nice tight machine. But right off the get go, I'm thinking rings, possible piston, head gasket valve seals, and just get the valve guides and cylinder checked for round. Hope that would cure my smoke issue.

What do you guys think? Heres a pic!

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p102/77Halfton/38070140-67C4-49BE-9FFC-C8C4ABD6E707-37559-000009B323E1CD50_zps1a44c8aa.jpg

FourLocked
06-03-2013, 11:36 AM
This is after shes warm, revving up.

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p102/77Halfton/33C9C6E6-7CD9-4D80-A39A-293A6F83F400-39785-00000A4ED199DD7A_zpscc9a0233.jpg

Big G
06-03-2013, 07:08 PM
I'm not a fan of the plastic aftermarket tank and headlight, but if you got a good deal on it, what the heck - it's a trike!

kb0nly
06-03-2013, 09:04 PM
Definitely needs a hone and rings at minimum, but very possibly a bore and oversize as well. If it smokes that much its blowby!

Not bad looking thought, and if you got a decent deal on it a couple hundred to make the motor right should keep it going for years.

FourLocked
06-04-2013, 01:06 AM
I traded another toy that I was 150$ into.. not a bad deal at all! Im not sure I like the headlight either, it points straight to the sky.. the tank I do like. Like I said there is quite a bit of forced air coming out of the breather vent, obviously she cant hold the compression. Im going to do a tear down this week and I will post pics as I go along. I currently don't have a manual, is there an online guide I can follow? only ever been into 2 strokes. Oh and is there an online source to buying rebuild parts for these things that ships to Canada?

Ghostv2
06-04-2013, 02:06 AM
Use the search bar and type in manuals, someone posted a thread recently. Also a member has a link in his Sig for manuals but I cannot think of his name. Good tires, good plastics, looks like a bigger tank, its worth it. You could part it out for more than what you paid. Some guys here prefer that down shift pattern too. Not a bad first trike regardless of how modified it is.

Big G
06-04-2013, 02:20 PM
Hey Fourlocked, just noticed you're from Nanaimo! Right on. As far as online sources, I've used both MFG Supply and Beatrice Cycle (Dr.ATV) for parts in the past. They have decent prices and shipping to Canada isn't too bad either.

kb0nly
06-04-2013, 02:44 PM
That would be me! Look below in my signature for the link to my manuals server!

I do agree with the headlight being ugly as sin... LOL.. The tank ain't bad though, i prefer the original metal tank as well but hey no rust worries and those plastic tanks aren't cheap so it was a good deal that it came with it.

Ghostv2
06-04-2013, 02:53 PM
I knew you would pop in here at some point and come to the rescue.

Only change i would make to it would be to fix the engine and get a proper headlight assembly.

FourLocked
06-04-2013, 04:33 PM
Hey Fourlocked, just noticed you're from Nanaimo! Right on. As far as online sources, I've used both MFG Supply and Beatrice Cycle (Dr.ATV) for parts in the past. They have decent prices and shipping to Canada isn't too bad either.

Right on! It's the place to be! Maybe go for a burn when shes fixed up. Do you know of any parts stashes? Looking for a headlight that doesn't light the sky up

I knew you would pop in here at some point and come to the rescue.

Only change i would make to it would be to fix the engine and get a proper headlight assembly.

yeah I've started to remove engine today for rebuild, and the headlight will definitely be upgraded once I can find a parts trike, or something that will work. Are the headlights 6v or 12v?

remsandpets
06-04-2013, 04:50 PM
And as far as the oil, I would dump the 20w-50 unless you used oil for a wet clutch. Specific oil in a wet clutch setup like the ATC200.

FourLocked
06-04-2013, 05:02 PM
And as far as the oil, I would dump the 20w-50 unless you used oil for a wet clutch. Specific oil in a wet clutch setup like the ATC200.

Yeah?
I read somewhere a guy used it on his smoker and it cleared up it up as a bandaid but Is it worth trying some 4 stroke Castrol motorcycle oil before I tear her down?

JasonB
06-04-2013, 05:04 PM
first off welcome to the boards! That is an interesting head light, cant say i have seen one like that yet!

FourLocked
06-04-2013, 05:19 PM
first off welcome to the boards! That is an interesting head light, cant say i have seen one like that yet!

Thanks, I actually like the look simply because I haven't seen one either, if I could point it down somehow I'd keep it but the rubber straps around the forks wont give. Might be options if I take it off and have a look. bit of cut and paste.

Your 310 in your sig is unreal.

kb0nly
06-05-2013, 12:05 AM
The headlights are 12v.... You could try some 10w-40 ATV Oil and see if that clears it up a bit, make sure you don't overfill it and when you check the oil don't screw the dipstick back in, you check it by just resting it on the hole, if you thread it in your level will be low.

If the headlight mount is unmolested behind that added headlight it won't be hard to buy a used or aftermarket headlight and toss it on.

kb0nly
06-05-2013, 12:16 AM
Hang on a sec here.....

I just went back and looked at your first picture again... You don't have a headlight/kill switch on the left handlebar that i can see.... And the throttle has a kill switch on the top of it... Thats the style off the 185, then the headlight would have a switch on it as well. Does the sticker on the downtube say 1982 ATC200?

What does the cylinder say on the bottom edge of it for engine size?

Just wondering if this is a 185 and not a 200 or if someone just frankentriked it.

FourLocked
06-05-2013, 02:21 AM
Theres no sticker on the downtube, are there numbers punched into the frame anywhere I could get down to? The bottom of the cylinder under the carb reads 192. There are no brackets behind the headlight setup that's on there now, but when I got it from the PO he said there used to be that headlight control on that side, for whatever reason it's not on there, and I have a few wires that go nowhere that I taped up out of the harness, Im guessing those go to the old headlight switch. Now the headlight just comes on when it fires up.

Castrol 10w40 motorcycle oil for wet clutches also didn't do a thing..

Also came across this site for manuals earlier http://www.oscarmayer.net/atc/manuals/