PDA

View Full Version : 84 200S SPutting problem

jaystersj
06-02-2013, 09:31 PM
Hey Guys, I have a 84 200s.. this bike ran great till one day it just died.. I replaced the Ignition coil, and stator,, then the CDI box and it came back to life. It ran great for a few hours,, then it started to sputter to the point that it died again.. the plug was black, I took the Carb apart and cleaned it all, but its still sputtering. Mostly at midrange of the throttle. Any ideas what I should look for? THanks:rolleyes:

jaystersj
06-03-2013, 06:40 PM
Ok,, So I tried something out of the blue today, I put the old CDI box in, and presto, it fired up.. SO that eliminates the cdi box. Also put the old ignition coil back on , and presto magic, it started up again, So no that's two things, so that being said, that stator I put in is good too.. So I took the cap off the CDI pulse regulator, to open it up with a Redish orange rust look to it,, I don't think that's normal,, I cleaned it all up, but haven't got to firing it up.!! Do those usually crap out if they get wet? I notice the black rubber where the wires go in wasn't seated properly,, so more that likely its had a few years of moisture.. Any thoughts ?

Big G
06-03-2013, 07:04 PM
My only thought is what's that picture of?

jaystersj
06-03-2013, 08:28 PM
LOL.. That's a little mud mixed with a lot of water. ! My trike is under me somewhere!

jaystersj
06-03-2013, 08:37 PM

kb0nly
06-03-2013, 08:53 PM
The red color in there is normal, i see that on most of them, its the grease and such put in there. As for the wiring, its not sealed up completely, there is a weep hole on the bottom, so any water that did get past that rubber grommet would just drain back out. I had one that just had the wires hanging out the hole without a grommet, was like that for years!! LOL

Sounds like you have a wiring/electrical gremlin. Best advice, go through every connection, every wire, on the whole thing.

jaystersj
06-03-2013, 09:06 PM
THanks,, I've stripped all the tape and covering off all the wires, I think i'm going to take the carb out again because I forgot to take Knock the little piece out of the main jet ( I think that's the one), Because when I do getting it running it only last so long before it sputters, then the plug gets black and fouls out. But on the Pulse regulator, the part that spins around has storn marks on it, with some metal shavings. This bike I've had for about a year, with no issues, always started on the first pull, and I still have no brakes on it yet. lol170712 I Miss her already. lol

jaystersj
06-04-2013, 06:24 PM
ok, so I've been over every wire on it, and found one issue, the green wire ( ground) and yellow that run to the stator are backwards. I only changed the black stator ( the lower one with one wire) I did nothing with the other stator ( whitish colour) So i'm not sure why that happened, But I have head lights now. Even with a new plug it lasts about 5 mins before it starts to sputter, So maybe I missed something in the carb. I can't think it would be anything else.

kb0nly
06-04-2013, 11:57 PM
Sounds fuel related if its doing that, better start at the tank, pull the petcock flush it out make sure its working good and the filter on the end up in the tank is clean. I agree, tear off the carb again also and give it another once over.

jaystersj
06-10-2013, 04:14 PM
Well its alive again,, Didn't really feel like taking the carb out again, so wasted a half a can of carb cleaning into it while it was running, And presto,,, She lives to see another day... Thank goodness,, Took her for a 2 hr mud bog and No Issues, Thanks for you help guys !!!!