PDA

View Full Version : 1980 ATC 110 wiring issue.

Scottie.B
06-05-2013, 01:23 AM
So ive recently found my self a 1980 honda ATC110. And the wuring on this thing was shot to hell. But only paid 25 bucks for the whole thing and the motor wasnt even locked up! But anyways ive rewired it with some newer wires. And i got it to spark pretty well too but no fire. I dobt have the headlight or the switch for the light. Do i need it to start?? I know my ATC90 has to have the headlight bezel on to even start. But they have a different harness. Any help would be appriciated!

hheywire
06-05-2013, 02:26 AM
Well if you have spark it should fire. I just rebuilt the motor on my atc 200 and it would spark but wouldn't fire. It turned out I had my pick up coil magnet 180 degrees off. The
cam wasn't off the little magnet that spins on the camshaft was off. That's what happened to me at least. Check to see if your getting fuel first.

Scottie.B
06-05-2013, 09:29 PM
Im pretty sure its getting fuel. After a while of cranking i pull the plug and it has gas all over it.

ps2fixer
06-06-2013, 01:08 AM
How is the compression?

3 Main requirements for an engine to run (with a few extra details in the middle). You said it gets fuel and has spark. I did have a 200x once that wouldn't fire up and it was getting fuel and compression, ended up the carb was set way too rich... so rich it wouldn't fire.

1. Fuel
2. Compression
3. Spark

Scottie.B
06-07-2013, 05:58 PM
well see, i dont have a tank hooked up right now. im only putting fuel into the carb just to try to hear it fire once so i can see if i need to get a new motor or not. not really excited to have to buy a new one if thats what it takes. but it has fuel, spark and as much compression as my ATC90 has.

ps2fixer
06-07-2013, 11:52 PM
Hmm it shouldn't take replacing the entire engine to get it going lol. Worse case the rings are worn badly, it smokes if it runs, and you have to rebuild the top end, another whole engine is quite a bit more than that, and it has a lot of use on the bore then vs the fresh bore.

If you only want to hear it pop, there are other ways to do it, but it isn't the safest way to go about it even though I never had problems.

Anyway, I would say throw a new plug in it, don't use any choke at all, don't give it any gas while pull starting it, and see if the plug gets wet after a few pulls. If it does, I would say the carb is pushing out way too much gas for some reason, float level too high, too big of jets, or something.

If it is still dry, maybe it isn't getting gas though the idle jet, and when you choke it + give it gas, it is pulling too much though the main? I'm not an expert on carbs or anything, just know the simple stuff.

Starting fluid should make it fire in most cases as long as it has good enough spark, compression, and timing is correct.

Scottie.B
06-09-2013, 07:01 PM
well after adjusting the points a little bit more it came to life!! sounds great too. thanks everyone for the help. i should of checked timing before anything. but oh well. lol now to find hubs and a tank!

kb0nly
06-09-2013, 09:57 PM
Dont just tease us like that though, even ugly we want pics of it.. LOL!!!

Sounds like a fun project! Lets see 1980 thats a round headlight yet that year... Darn i don't have any hubs for it. I was thinking grab the tub with the round headlight in it but nope no hubs in that tub. Yeah my parts here are a hodge podge of parted out junkers and nothing is organized right now!

Hit up Howdy on here if you don't have any luck on eBay or other sources, he is a hoarder of hoarders when it comes to trike parts.

Scottie.B
06-09-2013, 10:52 PM
I will try to put up some pics of the 1980, and the 1977 atc90. Theyre both in really rough shape. But gotta love a three wheeler lol. And im new to this site i dont know how to add people yet so its gonna take me awhile to get ahold of Howdy

Scottie.B
06-09-2013, 11:02 PM
Go to my profile to see my 80' lol

ps2fixer
06-10-2013, 12:19 AM
I have two basket case 110s a 79 and a 82, and I have a pair of hubs. I also have some 1982 185S Hubs too.

Here are the 82 hubs, the 79 didn't come with a rear axle. The spines are worn a bit, but still useable.

http://atcfixer.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5&products_id=107

Scottie.B
06-10-2013, 12:47 AM
Id buy them but i already have 3 lug rims off a 78 unless you have some 4 lug rims for sale.?

ps2fixer
06-10-2013, 01:59 AM
I have the rims too.

Since you already have 3 lug rims, I have some 1978 ATC90 hubs too. I have them listed 1 per listing.

http://atcfixer.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=1

Scottie.B
06-12-2013, 02:59 AM
Found em. Yeah they would work.