PDA

View Full Version : ATC 70 Cam guide questions

Atc70noob
06-05-2013, 11:05 AM
I am rebuilding a 1982 ATC 70. It will be my first four stroke rebuild. I have done countless two strokes before. This was a running but rough running motor. I shut her down when I noticed too many issues with the motor indicating it was messed around with before, missing bolts, mismatched bolts and the further I got into the tear down the deeper I went. Issues I found were...
-Missing o rings in the base gasket and the head gasket
-The cam guide in the cylinder fell out of the cylinder when I removed the cylinder, it was not riding on the bolt that bolts in cylinder.

The question I have is regarding the cam guide. I know I need a new one since it got all chewed up by the cam chain and it does not have a groove in which the cam chain can ride on.

Does the new guide have a groove? The cam guide does not look thick enough to sufficiently support the cam chain once it is installed, meaning the cam guide will move left to right and the chain will drop down again. I think that this cam guide is so worn out that I cannot figure out how it works properly, it has way too much movement left to right on the bolt that holds in inside the camchain passage. Is it suppossed to be almost as thick as the passage so that the chain cannot fall onto the bolt? Maybe some crf 50 guys can chime in since this motor is pretty identical, it might very well be identical.

I can post pics if needed.

Thanks

shortline10
06-05-2013, 11:38 AM
Go to dratv.com and look at the pictures. Great prices as well.

Atc70noob
06-05-2013, 11:53 AM
Yeah, I tried that but the pics do not tell me the guides orientation inside the cylinder. The pictures are not clear enough. They are also discontinued right now. I found the part on hondaparts though.