PDA

View Full Version : Honda 250sx key switch

sstark82
06-08-2013, 11:01 PM
Well my 4 year old decided today would be a good day to take a screwdriver and hollow out my key switch for my 250sx. With that being said, is there a universal key switch that will work or a switch that can be used from other Honda atv's or three wheelers? A buddy of mine said that its best to have a honda 250sx replacement. That would be ideal but they are scarse and the ones i see on eBay are pretty pricey. Any help?

Flyingw
06-08-2013, 11:39 PM
All three of my SXs has an ES key switch in them. Ebay for about 40 bucks. The only thing is you have to clip the plug off the SX harness and solder it on the ES harness plus the ES harness is longer but its not a big deal. The nice thing about the ES switch is the key covers are new and you will have two keys. The switch body is exactly the same as the SX. The harness drives a different part number.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-IGNITION-SWITCH-KEY-85-87-ATC250ES-1985-1987-ATC-250-KEYS-/321127457616?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4ac4b02350&vxp=mtr

dougspcs
06-09-2013, 07:03 AM
Or the SX switch is still dealer available..or at least it was last year when I bought one for mine.

$60 if my memory is correct.

just ben
06-09-2013, 09:22 AM
I have a new es switch. 35.00 shipped if you are interested

kb0nly
06-09-2013, 10:34 AM
All the ATC keyswitches are basically the same, the only difference is the harness and connector on each of them, but they are all just a press fit switch that pops into the dash panel. I have used some of the universal four wire switches from eBay as well, the cheap chinese quad switches that come with the honda style keys with the rubber hood on them. They don't come with a wiring diagram but its easy to figure out, find the two wires that have continuity when in the off position, that pair is your ground and ignition kill wires, doesn't matter which is which just assign them however you want, the other two wires will have continuity when the switch is on, thats the power in and out for the lights.

Until you get a new switch, just unplug your damaged one, then it will still run fine, to get the lights working without the switch jumper the power in and out, usually red and yellow/red wires on most Honda's, the ground is generally green and the kill wire is a striped black wire, the strip color varies by model.

sstark82
06-09-2013, 11:21 AM
Great guys, thanks for all the information!

just ben, I am gonna hit the junkyard tomorrow and see if they can come up with a switch for me. If they dont have one here I am interested in yours.

kbOnly thanks for telling me how to get her going in the meantime. I usually ride 6-7 hours a week and I wasn't sure I would be able to survive for a while without riding :w00t:

kb0nly
06-09-2013, 02:02 PM
LOL... I would be wiring up temporary switches if i needed to as well, cant leave her alone long enough to find a switch!

When i got mine the keyswitch was broken and someone cut the wires at the back of the switch and used a wire nut to connect the power in and out, then you just turned the light switch on and off for the lights... Funny thing is they could have just opened the headlight and unplugged it.. On the 200ES its really convenient, pull the headlight and unplug the green and black wires for the kill switch side of the ignition switch and leave em unhooked, but here is the best part the power in and out are opposite sides of the bullet style connector, so after you unplug the switch you can plug the harness side wires into each other and its bypassed.. Its almost like they planned for switch removal.

To be honest the key switch is NOT a theft safety on these, it would take me all of thirty seconds to walk up, snip the wires on the back of the switch, and ride off.

atc500x
06-11-2013, 07:47 AM
There is a aftermarket key switch for the xl80-75-100,exactly the same,fit in the dash pad,simplet weld your wire from the sx switch on it,I think they are about 20$