PDA

View Full Version : Whats the issue with my new trike?

trikerman
06-11-2013, 03:21 PM
I bought a 1983 YT125 3-wheeler, about 3 weeks ago. It had sat since 2006 in a shed, with gas in it. The petcock was caked in sludge, and the carb was also dirty. I cleaned the carb and petcock, and it fired up. It was boggy, so I went back in and i adjusted the float, it was way off. Now it runs pretty good. But their Is still 1 issue.

Gears 1st and 2nd will rev 100%, and the trike pulls straight up wheelies, but every gear thereafter runs worse. 3rd gear is slower reving, but still gets you round, 4th is very slow reving, and 5th, its like its at idle speed. The other thing is that when in 4th and 5th , you have to baby the throttle, more than 1/2 throttle and it bogs down. In 5th at 1/2 throttle, it has no power, but still goes pretty fast(35ish). I called the guy and he said they got a new left hand crank seal, and he forgot to give it to me, so im going to get it. The plug is darkish brown/black, but is not fouled out, not wet, looks normal for a 2 stroke. It fires up 1st pull every time. When the throttle is pinned, it takes it a few seconds to return to idle. Whats the issue? Thanks.

manbearpig
06-11-2013, 03:26 PM
i dont know if you actually have a problem...

those lil tri mo toe's are pretty gutless on he bottom end.. at least the ones ive had were

Jason125m
06-11-2013, 03:31 PM
I also don't think you have a problem, you have to keep the rev's high on those little guys to go up the gears and stay in power.

Not returning to idle instantly is your typical 2 stroke.

trikerman
06-11-2013, 03:34 PM
I have an RM 125, and she full revs in all six gears. This wheeler should rev up in all gears, not bog down in 3rd on up

trikerman
06-11-2013, 03:39 PM
I know, but the issue is I Cant keep the revs high, only in 1st and 2nd gear. I can go from full reving in 2nd gear, into 3rd, and the bike wont wont rev high enought to shift into the next gear. Andit will bog down and die. You should be able to drive in 5th gear on a flat road, without having it bog down when you give it gas. Im sure something is wrong.

Rigaman
06-11-2013, 06:08 PM
Could be the air vent in the carb creating a vacuum. Or the float level maybe.