PDA

View Full Version : 225dx electric start trouble

BigDave
06-13-2013, 02:49 PM
just bought a brand new battery for the 225 put it in and all I here is a click coming from the back end. tried to bypass it and now the relay next to it clicks. I wire brushed all the connections I could find and still just a click. having a hell of a time trying to figure it out I just how the starter is not burned out
any help would be appreciated
thanks

dougspcs
06-13-2013, 03:19 PM
Best way to make sure you are getting 12volts to your starter is this:

Volt meter set for DC, then clip the negative lead onto the (-) side of the battery..then touch the positive lead onto the lead cable on the starter that has the rubber insulator.

The turn the key and push the starter button..volt meter should show 12volts everytime you press the starter. Now assuming the battery is fully charged and all the connections are clean and tight, if you are reading 12v at the starter then it's time for a starter rebuild.

If no volts reading at the starter when pressed then it's time for some troubleshooting. Solenoid, switches, fuses and connectors..somewhere you have no continuity.

Jordyraye
07-28-2013, 11:16 PM
There is a little black box on the wire harness about the size of those gross Halloween caramels, open that up and there is a coil of wire and some sort of automatic switch in there, hold it closed and hi the starter button,it should start if the battery is charged. I have the same trouble with my 200 shaft. I have no idea what the part is called and I just confuse the dealers when I try to explain it. You can find complete wiring harnesses on eBay and they have that mystery box on them.

thug51491
07-29-2013, 12:40 AM
Another option you could try is unhook the battery, apply jumper cables from the battery to the starter. (assuming the battery is still charged) It should start or do something more than a click. If it does engage its something in the wiring. If it doesn't do anything your starter is probably bad.

hope that helps

Sincerely,
Daniel

Ghostv2
07-29-2013, 02:27 AM
I know this sounds stupid, but is it fully charged? If my batteries dead/almost dead it will just make that click noise and nothing will happen. Just thought i would throw it out there.

muthey
07-29-2013, 04:23 AM
Hey Jordyraye that little mystery box is called the relay assembly and it acknowledges amperage when you push the starter button and allows volts and amps to go to the starter.
http://www.yamahapartshouse.com/oemparts/a/yam/50038893f870021f60a09b92/electrical-1 detail 9

joban
07-29-2013, 05:58 AM
Hello,
MR. thug51491 is right.......
Regards

Jordyraye
07-29-2013, 08:27 PM
Thanks Muthey! Finally an answer!!