PDA

View Full Version : Can a clamp on air filter be put directly onto a carb?

trikerman
06-13-2013, 11:41 PM
My YTM 125 has an issue. For some reason, the Airbox tube is 1/2 inch too short. From looking In my Haynes manual, as well as part diagrams, im 100% sure i have the wrong Airbox. The air intake tube is too short, and in many other ways it's different.

I cut the air intake tube and repaired it with black RTV and Bicycle innertube, in the process lengthening it 1/2". Now it fits well and is airtight, but I have no clue what to use for the filter. Inside the Airbox is one sheet of old raggedy cut-to-fit foam filter. Its 1/4 thick, and cut to fit the airbox. Its falling apart, and not very good. I can either get a new sheet of this material, or maybe get a direct mount air filter. Whats the best option? Besides getting a new airbox.

The stock one should look like this
http://www.motosport.com/atv/oem-parts/YAMAHA/1983/YT125/AIR-CLEANER

I have no clue what the current air box came from, all it says is koyo.

barnett468
06-14-2013, 09:29 AM
Hello

PURPOSE OF AIR BOX

To protect filter from the elements like water, sand, mud etc and to provide a pocket of still [undisturbed] air for the engine to draw from.

Yes you can run a filter clamped directly to the carb but it is not "ideal'. UNI Filter makes some, see link below.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/14/71/978/7841/ITEM/Uni-Air-Filter-Clamp-On-Pod-Filter.aspx

RIDE-RED 250r
06-14-2013, 09:52 AM
^^^^^^agreed!^^^^^^

fcf35
06-14-2013, 09:51 PM
I run them on my 110 but I use a Outerwear on it and I keep it in the dry.you'll have to play with the Carb a little though because of the extra airflow.

Outlaw #24
06-14-2013, 10:05 PM
The only time I run the filter directly on the carb is indoor coke syrup racing. Can't run an air box with a strut! Also the air box provides a little back pressure (static Pressure), so I would run an air box anytime I can. You just have to find something that will work!

fastatc70
06-15-2013, 09:08 PM
I come from the pit bike world. All we have are filters that mount to the carb. We call them pod filters. Do not use k&n style filters in dirt riding k&n are for sand only they pass top soil and silt they work good for sand. Foam filters will pass sand and are good for top soil so pick wisely. The larger filter the better the less velocity through the filters the better they filter.

The pod filters are open to the elements and will suck water if a puddle is hit to hard. Keep that in mind.