PDA

View Full Version : Do any of you guys listen to The Survival Podcast?

Billy Golightly
06-14-2013, 01:05 AM
Its a pretty cool show about sustainable living, being prepared for disasters, growing your own food, general preparedness, etc. www.TheSurvivalPodcast.com For the most part, we're all the independent type, so you should find something on the show pretty cool one way or another.

I did a segment recently with Jack Spirko, the guy that runs it and he just posted it today. I talk about working as a real-estate agent in a rural area, things to consider and think about when buying a farm or property to be sustainable and rural on. If you have an hour to kill, you might find it interesting. Here it is: http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/golightly-rural-land

JasonB
06-14-2013, 09:14 AM
gonna put that my list of things to listen to on the drive to trikefest! very cool man. The GF and I just started our own vegetable garden which is new for both of us, Im starting to get more and more into the idea of sustainable living from a health aspect. thanks for sharing

Billy Golightly
06-14-2013, 11:25 AM
http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/episode-1094-massad-ayoob-on-lethal-force-aftermath

That was a great episode to listen to as well.

Mosh
06-14-2013, 10:06 PM
You shoud read a book called " Going Home" by A. American.
There is part 2 called staying home also.

ctk
06-15-2013, 02:43 PM
Cool show billy. I listened to it this morning.

tri again
06-17-2013, 02:22 AM
Not much free time these days but we've got
water power, solar hot water from FREE tanks, free water tanks surrounding the woodstove and could easily be off grid
for a few months.
I simply can't believe that people simply throw away good ol' well pump pressure tanks.
Dead water heaters that don't leak can easily be daisychained together and
provide limitless hot water from the sun.
Some say they're ugly but waay prettier than a monster power bill for no real good reason.

Can't wait to watch those links.
Thanks Billy

Might be a good idea for a separate subcategory.
'ecosustainability'?

atc007
06-17-2013, 09:30 PM
Where the LOVE this post button . ^^ But honestly,,how many REALLY stop to think about any of this? I'm seriously curious ! Good ol 1 inch 200 black hose draped up on the roof makes for some good free hot water too. Lay 2 100ft coils along the backside of your pool,and if you are REALLY cold,,,put them in a framed up glass box. You'll have ALL the hot water you need for your pool. I know people who spend $2200 a year HEATING their pool !! This set up costs less than $300 to build and will outlast the propane rockets they are burning.

atc350xer
06-18-2013, 07:20 AM
Where the LOVE this post button . ^^ But honestly,,how many REALLY stop to think about any of this? I'm seriously curious ! Good ol 1 inch 200 black hose draped up on the roof makes for some good free hot water too. Lay 2 100ft coils along the backside of your pool,and if you are REALLY cold,,,put them in a framed up glass box. You'll have ALL the hot water you need for your pool. I know people who spend $2200 a year HEATING their pool !! This set up costs less than $300 to build and will outlast the propane rockets they are burning.I did exactly this for my pool... free solar heat, at least 10 degree jump for zero cost. It may not be "pretty" to some, but my kids like the warm water! Mine cost me under $50 for everything.

D-dub
06-18-2013, 05:45 PM
I have always tried to be as self sufficient as possible, and eat as little garbage grocery store food as I can.(Human equivalent of cattle feed). I harvest as much wild eadibles as possible. eat lots of fish, wild poultry, moose. I harvest Morel mushrooms when ever I can. Id also like to get into backyard bee keeping.

tri again
06-19-2013, 04:48 AM
I did exactly this for my pool... free solar heat, at least 10 degree jump for zero cost. It may not be "pretty" to some, but my kids like the warm water! Mine cost me under $50 for everything.
VERY nice.

I think I paid 8 bucks for 100 ft of poly pipe but water tanks get just as hot as a car hood in the sun too. I just paint them dark colors with latex paint right over the rust and they've lasted for 10 years so far.
I did hang a coils of hose just to quiet EVERYone who asked where the coils were and why was my water so soothingly hot.

I love my tanks. Some are lying down in the sun and make a great place to sit and hang towels etc.
Great source of pressurized water when the power goes out too.

My neighbor ran a few hundred feet of 4 or 6 inch pipe
underground as a cool air intake for 'geothermal' air conditioning.
It's always 52 degrees underground so it actually Heats (preheats) his air when it's 30 degrees outside too.