PDA

View Full Version : Anybody work hell out of their 3 wheeler?

TxPowderCoater
06-14-2013, 06:22 PM
snow plow mounted?
decked out hunting rig?
farm rig?
Nessecity being the mother of invention, Lets hear and see what you have done to make your 3 wheeler work for its keep. :-)
I wanna pull a small disc and do some farm work with mine.

tri again
06-14-2013, 06:47 PM
Just be careful dragging stuff.
I've wrapped more than one chain / cable / rope around the back wheels/axles
by turning too tight.
I like that inch wide webbing.
Pulls 2,000 lbs and can be cut easily.

Never had a problem with wheelies but some of the stuff we drag around sure make it look like a big mousetrap from a distance.

A hours worth of tractor work translates to about 15 minutes with a trike and a spike or disc.

Outlaw #24
06-14-2013, 06:53 PM
I work the heck out of mine every time I get on it. Whether trail riding one of them or Racing one of them. After all they are ATC's !

ATC-Eric
06-14-2013, 08:03 PM
I pulled my 16 foot trailer around the yard for the first time with my big red earlier this week. I wish i had more work for it.

kb0nly
06-14-2013, 10:11 PM
I work my 200ES all the time! Trailers, lawn sweeper, plowing snow, everything, even running downtown to the post office...

Davidcz75
06-14-2013, 10:15 PM
I pull my 18ft Lund tyee with my big red with ease

Davidcz75
06-14-2013, 10:17 PM
Lol but only around the yard

Buck Snort
06-14-2013, 11:56 PM
You can run your trike in town and not worry about fines from the police?
I work my 200ES all the time! Trailers, lawn sweeper, plowing snow, everything, even running downtown to the post office...

ps2fixer
06-15-2013, 12:10 AM
I abused my first atc like hell! Hulled more wood than it should have ever had, 2nd gear floored in low range for the 84 200ES does wonders when working hard. Drug up a dead pine tree that was around 20-22inch in diameter and bent the rack lol. I pulled too big of stuff, so it did have the "wheelie" problem, but that was because I hooked on the rack, so when it pulled it put more weight on the rear wheels to grab better than just spin (sandy here). Hulled several brush loads with a 8x8 trailer loaded 12ft + in height and on the trip to the drop off location is nothing but mud lol. Pretty funny to see a little 3 wheeler, with a huge pile of brush behind it that was the size of the opening of the trail :D, you couldn't even see the trailer. Wish I had photos/videos of it lol. I haven't gotten to work a 250es the same way yet, but I suspect 1st gear will be needed for a lot of the things I did with the 200es.

jb2wheels
06-15-2013, 12:15 AM
I think anything that hauls me around in any situation is getting worked pretty hard. My poor 70s for example ... I figure I outweigh the poor things by like 100lbs...

Davidcz75
06-15-2013, 12:17 AM
We ride trikes and wheelers around town and all over the place ... It's allowed

kb0nly
06-15-2013, 12:28 AM
You can run your trike in town and not worry about fines from the police?

We have a city ATV permit here in Tyler, MN. $20 annual permit fee and you can ride it around town no worries. I have mine DNR registered as well, so i can go beyond city limits wherever i want except for state highways. If you look at my pics you will see the license plate i had made up with the DNR sticker on it and the city permit sticker on the back...

ps2fixer
06-15-2013, 12:33 AM
Lol that city permit looks like a simple peice of paper that anyone could print off. Not suggesting anything, just figured there would be something on it to prevent "fake" ones :).

Out here in MI we can ride QUADS on the side of the road 25mph speed limit anywhere but express ways with just an $16.25 ORV sticker (DNR Supplied). Sadly the law states that 3 wheeled vehicals are not covered, so they are 100% illeagle to drive on the road at all, only on dedicated state land orv trails with an ORV sticker or on private land. Sucks, but it is better than nothing.

Buck Snort
06-15-2013, 12:36 AM
We would be fined and possibly have the machine impounded.

kb0nly
06-15-2013, 12:41 AM
Lol that city permit looks like a simple peice of paper that anyone could print off. Not suggesting anything, just figured there would be something on it to prevent "fake" ones :).

Out here in MI we can ride QUADS on the side of the road 25mph speed limit anywhere but express ways with just an $16.25 ORV sticker (DNR Supplied). Sadly the law states that 3 wheeled vehicals are not covered, so they are 100% illeagle to drive on the road at all, only on dedicated state land orv trails with an ORV sticker or on private land. Sucks, but it is better than nothing.

Yeah i know i made that point to the city as well! Its a peel and stick decal they print up, i just made a small aluminum plate that i can stick it to. Just noticed i posted the pic of last years permit, this years one looks the same just the year and color has changed. They change the color like license plate tabs for quick id of year from a distance. You could probably make a fake one but the city cops have a three ring binder of all the permit applications and registration info, and being a small town of 1200 people its not like they can't spot someone with a fake one. For $20 i doubt anyone thats serious about using their ATV in town will be too concerned.

Our laws here in MN say vehicles of three or more low pressure tires for the ATV definition, so we aren't restricted being the ATC owner.

ps2fixer
06-15-2013, 12:46 AM
Nice, the "village" I live in is quoted to have a population of 1286 :). I would be happy to pay $20 a year to drive my trike on the road and be allowed to drive upto the posted speed limits :D. My beater 350x would get re-geared higher and I would drive to work on that and get 50+ mpg easy. Been thinking about doing that anyway, just have to add brake lights, turn signals etc and get it inspected to get it retitled as a road motorcycle, like the 3 wheeled motorcycles with the VW engines. Then I could just drive it :D. Too bad the 350x don't have keyed ign, not hard to make it have one, just won't look oem.. well maybe :).

Big G
06-17-2013, 10:54 AM
kb0nly...that pic of your licence plate - looks like you have wiring going to the trailer. Did you rig something up?

kb0nly
06-17-2013, 12:16 PM
kb0nly...that pic of your licence plate - looks like you have wiring going to the trailer. Did you rig something up?

Yep, took a four pin trailer plug and wired it up to the tail light wiring, made a Y cable to plug in the tail light and the plug without cutting up any stock wiring. It just runs power and ground to the four pin plug, the white is ground the brown is the tail/marker lights on the trailer. The yellow and green stop/turn wires are not hooked up. I replaced the bulbs on the trailer with LED for the side markers and the tails so i don't draw too much amperage.

This all came about when i was late getting home from cutting some trees down one evening and i realized with the trailer nobody can see my tail light. Here is a pic, you can see the dash lights on the 200ES ahead of the trailer along with the glow of the headlight on a tree, the trailer tail lights are nice and bright with the little led bulbs.

Big G
06-18-2013, 12:13 PM
That's a great idea. Man, you are the electrical guru!

kb0nly
06-18-2013, 10:13 PM
Eh its not that hard... LOL

I want to make one change though and move the small trailers lights from the bottom corners to the tailgate to make them more visible. I will get around to it!

ps2fixer
06-19-2013, 12:19 AM
Agree with KB, trailer lights are easy :), try something like this (btw.. this is where I made this username from, not my work but I did similar) lol.

Mod chip installed in a playstation 2, appears to be a "version 12" which is the first "slim" ps2 model.
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b8/marcus21x/PS2mods/fc43c6e3.jpg

mudmike
06-19-2013, 01:17 PM
I don't know if you would call it "working the hell out of it" but my 185 was pretty much my go to tool any time I need to haul brush, get out in the field to work, or just get to that "special spot" to go fishing. So yea it works but just not over kill.

kb0nly
06-19-2013, 01:34 PM
Agree with KB, trailer lights are easy :), try something like this (btw.. this is where I made this username from, not my work but I did similar) lol.

Mod chip installed in a playstation 2, appears to be a "version 12" which is the first "slim" ps2 model.

Looks like some wiring jobs i have done over the years too... Painstaking work but fun!