PDA

View Full Version : 84 200S Top end removal

jaystersj
06-14-2013, 08:20 PM
I just have a question regarding removal of the top end of the motor on a 84 200S. Do you have to remove the whole engine to do this? After spending over 2 weeks, I finally got spark in it again. Road her for a week with no issues. It always had a valve tick. Then I got some strange over ( a new flavor of the week ( Female) that wanted to ride it, she was doing pretty good, even attempted a few wheelies, then decided to hammer down on her, without shifting gears,, seem the smoke slowly coming out of the back and chased her down,, Said please don't rev it like that.. Well, guess she did a little damage, Now it wont run anymore, and it has a loud ticking noise. I'd rather fix it,, but don't have much time. If its easy to tear out,, I'd love to try it, I don't know much about the motor itself, a lot about the wiring and electrical side now thou... I do work for Honda , building new cars, So gonna see if I can still get New parts if not DC..

dougspcs
06-14-2013, 08:43 PM
The traditional method is to remove the engine..some guys have reported removing the long cylinder studs in order to pull the cylinder off in the bike.

It really isn't that big a deal to pull it, plus it's easier to work on the engine on the bench..

fcf35
06-14-2013, 09:23 PM
I agree to definitely pull it out.its so much easier to get to everything and a lot easier putting back together.a 3.5 or 5 gallon bucket without lid will make a fine engine holder too.200's are very easy to work on.

kb0nly
06-14-2013, 09:35 PM
A 200S is an easy motor to pull, being a chain drive its nuttin to yank that puppy out!

And yes, your best off pulling the motor, sure you could pull the studs and remove it that way, but then you risk other damage when removing those studs. Remove the drive chain, disconnect all the wiring, unbolt the exhaust, and unbolt the motor and heft her out!

Bare minimum parts your going to need is top end gasket kit along with whatever other parts you find are bad, if its smoking its probably going to need a hone and rings at bare minimum, but its very possible it will need a bore and hone and new piston and rings, along with maybe new valves in the head, and be sure to replace the valve stem seals! I will recommend while you got it torn out and torn down that you take the extra step of pulling apart the left side and replacing the timing chain and the tensioner/guide set as well. You will need a couple more gaskets not in the top end gasket kit to do that, mainly the left case cover gasket and the recoil starter gasket, you can buy a complete engine gasket kit as well, and that gives you an excuse to pull the right side crankcase cover and clean out the centrifugal oil filter. There might be crap built up from whatever caused the failure so good to go through it all.

Expect to spend a couple hundred bucks on it, all depends on cost of the machining to clean up the bore, but once thats all done it will run forever again!

Oh and as for the top end tick, all these 200's sound like a sewing machine... Its just inherent to their design, if its more of a slapping noise under acceleration though thats a stretched and loose timing chain. I always recommend that if your going to pull off the top end do the timing chain, its a lot cheaper than buying all new gaskets to do it again later! Set your valves as shown in the manual and thats the best you can do. I have heard a couple 200's that were fairly quiet after rebuild, new rockers and cam and such, but after a month or two the tick came back, its just gonna tick dont worry about it!

Make sure you inspect the cam and rockers though as a precaution in case it got oil starved.

And if you need the manual, click the link below!

jaystersj
06-17-2013, 01:51 PM
Thanks guys,,, I'm assuming something happened with the intake valve. It has spark, but its not sucking in fuel, even pouring a little fuel into the chamber does nothing, and it seems to have little compression now. When just trying to bum start it you can hear a loud tick from the intake valve, it never had that before. Thanks for the advice. I think I'll pull it out and get someone to fix it. Or might just sell it the way it stands...

FourLocked
06-18-2013, 12:32 AM
Did you check that the valve/rocker is in spec? Buddy had a 200 with almost no compression, turned out there was no gap in the valve and rocker, it was actually holding the intake valve open a bit.. Reset it, flashed right up!

jaystersj
06-18-2013, 03:36 AM
Actually , My friend checked it for me, the ex valve was right on,, the intake had probably about 5 mil of play in it,, which was odd. We adjusted it that, but still little compression, I didn't even come close to pushing my thumb off when I put my thumb over the spark plug hole.. If I could find a running motor, I'd probably just buy it and put it in since I have little time to muck around with it..

jaystersj
06-28-2013, 03:24 AM
Figured it out, I have a bent intake valve.. My Girl will run again. yippie