PDA

View Full Version : 08 ford f250 5.4l buyers remorse

xela456
06-15-2013, 09:19 PM
So I have a sob story here that's really gonna leave you saying "that sucks" because it truly does suck!
So Friday my trusty steed a 95 f150 302 caught fire while I was at work in the parking lot. Didnt totally burn butthe truck to nothing but it is beyond repair. My wife and I took this as a sign that it was finally time to move up since we've been searching for a new truck for a couple years now and finally by coincidence found the one I wanted
2008 f250 xlt 5.4 litre extended cab regular bed 94000 miles for only 13900. A steal in my area.
So we go out and look and decide its the one go back the next morning and take it to a real lif auto mechanic and it checks out with a few small issue. So we buy the truck.
Here is that really bad part I mentioned earlier.
So I drive the truck home around 40 miles. Take it to a gas station and low and behold the. Check engine light comes on and the truck idles really rough. We bought A warrentee so not to fear we took if straight to ford. FOUR CODES INCLUDING LOW OIL PRESSURE AND LOW COMPRESSION! And cam shaft play.
Still looking on the upside my warentee will cover it. Read the fine print and IT only covers up to 1000 dollars! And no lemon law in Kansas on used cars.

NOw
My question is to prove that the dealer was fraudulant I need to know if the codes were present prior to my ownership.
Does anybody know if ford computers have memory?

jb2wheels
06-15-2013, 10:42 PM
I can't answer your question about the code memory.

On the plus side, I have a 97 van with a 5.4 in it with over 200k on it. Biggest job was getting the oil pan gasket replaced. Don't know if the 08 engine is much different.

belly
06-15-2013, 11:06 PM
South dakota doesn't have a lemon law either. Long story short, i bought a subaru with the infamous head gasket leak. I didn't notice it when i purchased it because it only leaked a few drops while running. Took it back the next day and they wouldn't help me with anything. A few days later, they said they would split the repair bill. lol. $450 later it was good to go. A few months later, i wrote a google review on the dealership. It was very professional and didn't flame anyone in particular. I recieved a phone call the next day from the salesman and asked me to come in so we can talk about it. Well, i came in and got into an argument with the sales manager once again, and then he finally admitted that he messed up and would refund my money! So, after i recieved my money, i deleted the old google review and wrote a new one about how they actually do take care of their people. Didn't mention the time frame it took, but that didn't matter anymore. So, if the dealer screws you around, write a review. If that doesn't work, BBB. Good luck and make sure you keep all of your documentation from all diagnostics and repairs. It will come in handy later. Good luck

My 04' F150 5.4L had the same issue with the cam sensor. Common problem. It sounded like a deisel at idle. It was the first ford i've owned in over 10 years and probably the last one. Other than that, dont' know much about them.

El Camexican
06-16-2013, 01:20 AM
If it was running good up to the point that the light came on you might get lucky. I sure hope so.

kb0nly
06-16-2013, 02:43 AM
Well it is a Ford after all... Found On Roadside Dead....

As for your computer question... They could have cleared the codes and it took that long for them to come back, but i would think something that serious would pop a code within a matter of a mile or two, but who knows. I know one dealership by me that will clear the check engine light and codes and toss it on the lot and hope it makes it through a test drive long enough to sell, then the buyer drives home and it goes to crap before they get to their door and back they go to the dealer to pay out the butt for repairs.

goump1995
06-16-2013, 05:05 AM
First on Race Day ;)

xela456
06-16-2013, 08:24 AM
Well it is a Ford after all... Found On Roadside Dead....

As for your computer question... They could have cleared the codes and it took that long for them to come back, but i would think something that serious would pop a code within a matter of a mile or two, but who knows. I know one dealership by me that will clear the check engine light and codes and toss it on the lot and hope it makes it through a test drive long enough to sell, then the buyer drives home and it goes to crap before they get to their door and back they go to the dealer to pay out the butt for repairs.

Well Let me start by saying i love the truck and i really hope that there is a silver lining here and that it all gets fixed and that the owner has a heart and helps me with this unfortunate situation im in because of his sale.
However this is the real world and the chances of that happening are slim my wife and mother-in-law are going out to talk face to face monday with the owner. Meanwhile the truck sits dead in my driveway because i dont want to f$%k it up even more by running it the way it is. I really need to know though is if the trucks computer has any memory of the codes it has had and when it had them. If i could prove that it had them before i owned it then it would prove that they knew it all along and it would be enough proof to either stick them with the repair bill or at least get me out of this mess.

P.S. if this is not a glitch and this truck truly does need the repairs to fix the codes, the repair bills will be in upwards of 10,000 dollars we only purchased the truck for 13999

Mosh
06-16-2013, 09:14 AM
NOw
My question is to prove that the dealer was fraudulant I need to know if the codes were present prior to my ownership.
Does anybody know if ford computers have memory?

In a sense yes. There is no way I can explain it 100% through type we would be here forever, but all newer trucks and cars contain a "back door" filing cabinent in the PCM that is accessed through a good scan tool.

That is called MODE 6 data. In mode 6 data, there is a test ID number for EVERY system the PCM monitors. For example,
Misfire tests would be ID# 53...- 01 would indicate cylinder number 1 misfire counts. ID #53- 02 would be cylinder number 2..etc

There is a ID number for EVERY code that vehicle is capable of setting. There is a MIN- MAX..Once the item fails so many times, it trips the light. So essentially, there could be 1000 fails, and if you just brought it home, more than likely it didnt fail that many times in a 40 mile drive.

There is 2 problems...a finding a tech GOOD enough to know this stuff...and actually trying to make it stick in the courts is a whole other issue. A good tech will more than likely just confuse the general public or jury into ruling against you, as the jargon will be way over there heads in the court system..
The scan tool can be synched and backed up to a thumb drive with a snapshot of the failures and Mode 6 counts, and even possible mileage counts then displayed through a power point presentation. It depends on each scan tool and car software..Really that is all I can tell you and probably rambled on long enough..:lol:

Sorry if I confused you more..I have been doing this for over 20 years..
But yes...you could potentially prove there was issues before it left the lot if that was the case. Just DON'T let the battery go dead or anyone clear anything. It they do, you are screwed..all data will be lost.

In my state you have 72 hours to back out of a financial loan. If that is an option, do it now and get to a Chevy dealer or even Honda or Toyota..
Them 2000's Ford trucks are more problems than you want..I don't want to hear it from the Ford guys either... save your breath..I see enough of them 4.6 and 5.4 motors eat crap in a given year, to suggest Ford actually should have a class action law suit against them IMO.:wondering

Starting in 2013, many cars will store data even after the code is cleared or battery disconnected..So the days of you guys clearing codes to pass your emissions test without fixing the problem are just about over.

tblumer
06-16-2013, 09:25 AM
I gave up on domestic pickups a long time ago, especially after GM came out and admitted they were putting out a lousy product. My Titan has been pure bliss.

Lord Letto 20
06-16-2013, 10:49 AM
I <3 The Mazda B Series, The Japanese Version of the Found on Road Dead Ranger

plastikosmd
06-16-2013, 05:15 PM
while it doesn't seem possible to have all that go wrong and most likely you may have been taken for a ride..I wonder how the truck was running so well before that. Enough to fool the mechanic and you on test drive, then all heck breaks loose? Codes could be cleared but how did it go from running to running like crap with codes that sound like it needs a rebuild? Wierd

big specht
06-16-2013, 10:37 PM
Sound like you have a bad oil pressure switch and stuck/sticking cam phasers normal broblems and if the motoris slugged up good luck fixing it. Those motors have really small oil passages that feed the phasers and cams and if they ran cheap oil filters on the motor they could come apart and plug up the oil passages in the heads. Sh#t happens if the dealer bought it at the auction that wouldn't have any Idea of the mantance history so its not there fault but they should stand behind it .

jb2wheels
06-17-2013, 12:22 PM

Aren't the badges the only difference?

xela456
06-17-2013, 08:44 PM
Aren't the badges the only difference?
not the early versions. they were ford owned but mazda manufactured.
anyway took the truck back today and the dealer admitted to clearing codes prior to the sale. the promised to address all codes with whatever needs done. The paperwork will go on hold, and we will get the truck back when its fixed for a 7 day trial period with an option to cancel the sale. So glad they arent playing hard ball, however the laws are very harsh on dealerships screwing people over in kansas. maybe its the silver lining that it happened when it did i will keep you all updated!

xela456
06-19-2013, 09:30 PM
UPDATE!
Well after all agreement was made monday. Tuesday comes, we get a call from the bank saying that the dealership tried to process the loan behind our backs!
MOTH#$ F#$%#@S!!!! deals off out of that trade!

El Camexican
06-19-2013, 10:41 PM
UPDATE!
Well after all agreement was made monday. Tuesday comes, we get a call from the bank saying that the dealership tried to process the loan behind our backs!
MOTH#$ F#$%#@S!!!! deals off out of that trade!

Unreal. Glad to hear your out of it. Get a different mechanic to look at the next one.

Bilster
06-28-2013, 11:26 AM
Ford put lousy intake manifold gaskets in 1997 and 1998 Ford 150 trucks with the 4.2 V6. They eventually failed and allowed water to trickle into the cylinder causing hydrolock. There are over 250,000 dead V6 F150 but Ford offered no recall. I had two of them happen to me. Rebuilt the V6 on one using the updated gaskets and dropped a nicely built GM 5.3 in the other. Now I have a V8 for towing duties that is sooo much more reliable and easier to work on had I purchased a 5.4/4.6. And I have my V6 for easier chores. Surprisingly, the 5.3 V8 is in a heavier extended cab truck while the V6 is in a standard cab. The 5.3 gets better gas mileage.

300rman
07-01-2013, 09:59 AM

That is the absolute most ignorant thing I have heard all day. They are both Fords, both run all the exact same parts except for some cosmetic pieces. Engine, Trans, Rear end and main cab and electronics are all identical, from 02 and up FOR SURE, and probably a few years prior as well

On a side note, 10 G's for repairs is outrageous. finding a good motor and having it swapped in shouldn't be nearly that expensive.....
Glad to hear you got out of the situation!

ATC-Eric
07-01-2013, 10:29 AM
If you end up walking away from that truck you should come see me. I work at Machens Ford Lincoln in Columbia.

TxPowderCoater
07-01-2013, 10:45 AM
of course they have memory.

Scootertrash
07-01-2013, 10:16 PM
Did you do a Carfax before you bought it?

Dirtcrasher
07-01-2013, 10:56 PM
while it doesn't seem possible to have all that go wrong and most likely you may have been taken for a ride..I wonder how the truck was running so well before that. Enough to fool the mechanic and you on test drive, then all heck breaks loose? Codes could be cleared but how did it go from running to running like crap with codes that sound like it needs a rebuild? Wierd

And this is why you have a nice and simple old Ford. What happened to those simpler times!........

oldskool83
07-01-2013, 11:04 PM
I will not every buy a truck from a dealer. they cover so much stuff up. ive found way nicer and cheaper trucks forsale by people who simple just cant aford to fill the tanks.

wish you luck with the ford, dont know but about them other then the f250 deisels are junk (smaller motor) todays trucks after 2000 all seem like junk anymore.

Dirtcrasher
07-01-2013, 11:31 PM
I think Fabio has the 7.0 and that truck is amazing. It pulls with so much torque; I love his truck!

fabiodriven
07-01-2013, 11:44 PM
7.3 Steve.

Ford man here but I'd steer clear of those 5.4's. They suck.

300rman
07-02-2013, 10:18 AM
I had always thought the earlier modular motors were all right. Not too sure about the 5.4's in the Lightnings, but we have yet to replace a 4.6 in any of the vehicles that come through our doors.

kimmer250r
07-02-2013, 08:30 PM
5.4's are known crap, the 4.6's have been excellent engines. I run 10.5lbs of boost on my 4.6 and make 480 rwhp and beat the absolute trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro out of my mustang. The motor is bone stock other than the whipple supercharger that gives me the boost. Most states give 3 days to return a vehicle if you are not happy with it. I had an excursion with 304k miles on it with the 7.3 diesel and now have a F350 with the 6.7 diesel and love it! I've had fords my whole life and never had any major issues. Every brand has it's lemons, even the foreign ones. My brother-in-law had a titan and a friend has one and both regretted their purchase. If I bought foreign, it would be a new toyota, but i'll stick to my ford diesels.

Dirtcrasher
07-03-2013, 03:59 AM
Thanks for the correction John; I get confused with all these .4, .5, .6 and so on.

I stick with my statement that your truck and drive train are amazing. It just pulls so hard!!

yamaha225dr
07-03-2013, 01:28 PM
Guess I bought the only three reliable vehicles Ford has ever built! I'm not even brand loyal but Ford has served me well.
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t294/Dale06_photo/CAM00053_zps3b61b1b1.jpg

300rman
07-03-2013, 09:45 PM
Only ever replaced one 5.4-thing had been let to run out of oil :/

yamaha225dr
07-03-2013, 10:56 PM
Most people don't even realize the 4.6 and 5.4 share a lot of parts. The blocks, rods and timing chains are the only real big differences and that isn't enough to make one a lemon over the other. Ford slapped the 3 valve heads and cam phasers on the 5.4 first,so it got to be the lab rat with them. My F150 in the picture above is still going strong with its 5.4 and it's the first year model of that body style and yes, I changed the plugs myself, without any problems!