PDA

View Full Version : Please help!!! 84 kxt 250 Tecate! Ignition coil

Tafoya55
06-16-2013, 03:25 AM
So I have recently bought an 84 kxt 250 tecate 3 and I need a new ignition coil for it. I cannot find one that isn't over 80 dollars:/ i was wondering if an ignition coil from an 86 tecate 3 would work for my 84? Sorry if this is a stupid question to some! I'm new to this!

jeswinehart
06-16-2013, 05:30 AM
There are a whole bunch of good choices here for well under 80 dollars > http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p3984.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0&_nkw=tecate+ignition+coil&_sacat=0&_from=R40
What are the symptoms of your problem ? The ignition coils behind the fly wheel are well known to have issues, much more then the spark plug coil.

john

Tafoya55
06-16-2013, 01:00 PM
Okay here is my problem. I recently got this trike for free and they thought the engine was seized. Turns out there were little metal particles need neath the flywheel that were keeping it from turning. So i put iT back together and it started up on the second kick. I started putting the plastics on and I figured well I might as well adjust he carburetor. So i tried starting it and it did then died. I tried and tried and finally did again but it died again. I figured it is dying because when I got it it probably wasn't ridden in over 3 years. The compression slightly decreased on it as well. I read up on it and was thinking it could need a new spark plug and coil. But I'm not exactly sure.

jeswinehart
06-16-2013, 02:56 PM
Oh boy, have you pulled the flywheel back off to have a look for more of those metal particals,,, sounds like you did well in first diagnosis of finding out what the problem was. Heck I know you done well, you got it running.
I am not sure if you took a good close look at the magnets on the flywheel but those stock magnets are widely known for coming loose on Tecate flywheels and then wadding every thing up electrical they spin around.
You might have a after market fly wheel (ricky stator) and would not even see the magnets if it is a ricky stator.
Do you recal which type of flywheel you have ???

Tafoya55
06-16-2013, 03:24 PM
Yes. I replaced them because I didn't want the problem of the magnets coming off so I did get the ricky stator with the magnets inside. I just find it odd that I had great compression than barely any. I mean I can kick it with my hand. It did have an electrical problem. The owner before me installed a killswitch and had the black wire (the on button) to the kills witch. So i took it off and it started in 2 kicks then as I kept kicking thecompression weakened. Could it be that the coil is no good or even the spark plug? Oh and I forgot to mention that I took the spark plug out and put a little oil in there and the compression went back to normal. Sprayed my father pretty bad. Lol

jeswinehart
06-16-2013, 03:32 PM
It may very well be it is so low on compression it won't start now. Are you using a compression gauge or kinda like just by the feel of it ?
By the sounds of it you are mechanicaly inclined enough to make a good call about it just be way low.

Rings time ???

Tafoya55
06-16-2013, 03:41 PM
I am actually only a 19 year old kid but I have grown up around trikes all my life to know better. That and my dad is a great mechanic. That's what Iwas thinking. Maybe the rings are worn out or something. By the feel of it it feels like hardly any compression. I do not own a pressure Guage.

just ben
06-16-2013, 11:45 PM
Low compression wouldn't explain not having spark. I suggest you download the service manual if you don't already have it. It sounds like a loose connection or a bad stator. section 14 in the manual will give you tests to eliminate each of the the ignition components. One connection I would pay close attention to is the 3 wire plug from the stator to the cdi. It may look like a good connection but more than once I have seen the wires push out of the back of the plug enough that they don't contact inside the plug.

Tafoya55
06-17-2013, 01:10 AM
Thanks for all the help but it was something much worse. Something was sucked into the jug and piston ate up one of the sides. It is too deep to just boar the jug so Ihave to replace both of them. Lucky me right? But I do appreciate the help and when it is fully restored I will be sure to post some pictures!

barnett468
06-17-2013, 05:36 AM
Hello

Here's one. You could also post a new topic saying "Tecate cylinder wanted" etc.

85 $200.00

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kawasaki-KXT-KXT250-Tecate-250-KXT250A-Used-Engine-Cylinder-1985-/150859725320

just ben
06-17-2013, 06:49 AM
I have a cylinder with a fresh bore when your ready to buy one.