PDA

View Full Version : 200x replacement headlight

hilltj
06-17-2013, 12:23 AM
I'm building a 200es with 200x forks. I have no headlight or brackets. What's the best thing to do, ie get an old original off ebay, with aged brittle plastics etc or find a new after market one?. We have very little support for trikes in Australia so my main source of tech data & inspiration is this site. Appreciate some recommendations.

kb0nly
06-17-2013, 12:36 AM
I would go custom! I have seen some really nice setups on here where they made a cross piece and put on a nice LED headlight bar. Probably spend a lot less doing that even if you went with a higher end led light.

Ghostv2
06-17-2013, 12:41 AM
If you would get a 200x headlight/brackets you might have to swap internals. I dont know if a es could power a x headlight. You would have to look at the specs. Because i have a halogen bulb in my x. BUT, i could be wrong.

hilltj
06-17-2013, 01:10 AM
ghostv2, good thought, I'd better check the output from the 200es vs 200x generators. All being said though, I'll need a headlight of some form.

hilltj
06-17-2013, 01:50 AM
Had a look at the specs. 200x alternator pumps 135w & headlight globe is 60/55w, as compared to 200es that has a miserable 70W alternator & headlight of just 45/45w. So I need a headlight that will work around my 200es alternator limitations. Any ideas?

kb0nly
06-17-2013, 02:32 AM
Again go LED... LOL

I took into account your alternator output. I have a dual set of 27w LED lights on my 200ES, one is a flood, one is a spot, gives me excellent close and farther out lighting coverage. When i have my light switch set to low beam its the stock headlight on low, when i flip to high beam it shuts off the stock low beam and turns on the LED's. These things are INSANELY bright. The only draw about 2a each, for a total of 4a draw, the stock headlight on high beam is about 4.5a, the total you can safely pull is around 5a before you start pulling off the battery and draining it. You need a little overhead to keep charging the battery.

Here is some examples of how mine is setup just to give you an idea of what i am talking about.

Since you have the 200X forks i would make a cross piece to go between them, mount a pair of these and have it wired so a flood is your low and a pencil is your high, then you can use the stock switch and wiring on your ES and make it all work nice. Thats how i would do it for sure. You can go with a stock dual element bulb and halogen light if you wanted but the light output from these LED's is way brighter and less current draw. With only the pencil beam LED on i can see stop signs lit up two blocks away, the flood easily lights up about a block ahead of me.

hilltj
06-17-2013, 03:15 AM
kbOnly, sounds ideal. Were did you get the lights?. They look wicked! Why not have low beam on whenever the headlight is on, then switch high beam (spot) on as well with high beam?

kb0nly
06-17-2013, 12:26 PM
I got them off eBay, i have the same light on my snowblower and lawn tractor which also has a front mounted snowblower, its amazing how bright they are.

I can't run my stock high beam along with the LED's, that would be a total current draw of 8.5a, so its one or the other.

hilltj
07-11-2013, 03:28 AM
Trail tech offer a range of headlights that I think I'll investigate