PDA

View Full Version : over heated it should I fix it

weasle
06-17-2013, 12:58 AM
Hi all.Well guys i got the old girl running. She was idling and all but Yesterday i over worked her. Overheated her good.trailpro I need your advice. So after the over heating i removed the cdi cover and found it melted. The spark plug metal was blueish. The oil reaks!trailpro It still turns over, with a few new noises. She would not start because the lack of spark because of the magnet thing was melted. My question is if i got her spark again would she run?trailpro I could at least get something for her if she ran. My concern is the oil leaking from the block to cylnder connection. I cant find any cracks. I wonder if i just melted the gasket in there?trailprotrailpro If i tightened the cylnder to block bolts perhaps that would do it?trailpro At worst get a new gasket and replace it? Please loook at these pictures (starter removed) and let ke know if you think it will run again if i have it spark.trailpro I know i know just scrap it but i would like to get at least a few hundred for it and i can get that if its running.trailprotrailpro See how it is dry above the block. It seems that the oil is coming from that gasket. Like i said she still turns over.

If any of you have a second to look over the pictures and give your advice as to wether i should get a new sensor(melted) and if it will run after.that would be great!

Link to pictures

http://db.tt/9fGQCFno

muthey
06-19-2013, 12:17 AM
I recommend a a new top end gasket set, and also looking into a rebuild, you may have done serious damage internally. I'm sorry but I don't believe that if you tighten the head bolts it will seal back up. My bet is on it needing an overhaul now. I've never seen a pulse generator melt like that, now you know that you have to shut a air cooled trike down once in a while. If it still turns over then there is hopes of saving it as long as you are willing to spend a little cash to do it.

kb0nly
06-19-2013, 01:59 AM
I have seen one melted but not that bad... The one I saw was due to being improperly gapped and the advancer was rubbing on it. She must have been running really lean to get that hot. I have seen 200's idle for hours without overheating depending on the weather. Sure if its a hot still day it would get hot but not that hot!

Your looking at a teardown of the top end at a minimum. Who knows how much damage you did to moving parts though until a teardown and inspection is done.