PDA

View Full Version : hi all, im new to trikes and lookin for help on a project

2smokey
06-17-2013, 10:31 AM
hi all, just got into trikes and find them alot of fun. im used to dirtbikes and quads but this is my first trike (i accuired thru doing work on a guys motorcycle) im a small engine mechanic by the way, so i already know alot about engines. so i go a yamaha tri-moto 125 (1985 model) that starts first pull, everything works, and it looks execellent. i estimate i could sell it for 5-600, but i like it enough that i want to keep it. i plan on doing some mods for performance and handleing, and i just wanna know what you guys think. first of all, i wanna put the 175 forks on there so i will have shocks, will the YTM-200 forks work also? (i know someone with both but i want the best). also i want to find a reed spacer and put boyseen reeds in there. im planning on up-jetting the carb 1 or 2 sizes up (im runnin hard n fast at sea level) and adding a k&n or uni air filter. also i want to put a bigger front sprocket on it, im thinking going up 1 or 2 teeth, but i want to be able to tow stuff in first gear still so will 2 be too much? also i know someone that has a 175 top end but i would have to hone it (does it need sleeved or plated?) and get a new piston kit and of course it takes a different exaust and reed intake right? would it really add that much power or should i save 100$ plus parts for the top end set and just do the mods to the 125? as i said i mainly wanna ride it and have fun but theres alot of scrap metal near where i ride at and i recycle it to pay for bike stuff lol so i do want to be able to tow about 200lbs in first gear (it worked great today on a huge old boxtruck ramp) so what do you guys think? this is my first trike and i dont know anyone else who has one, so any and all help would be appreciated and i can promise you pics of my work

RIDE-RED 250r
06-17-2013, 05:03 PM
Well, I'm not a Tri-Moto guru by any stretch.. But just want to say welcome aboard! :beer

There are some folks here that know these little guys well and would be able to answer your questions on this topic. I'm sure they will swing by. :)

honda200xguy
06-17-2013, 07:10 PM
I did put 175 forks on my 125, just needed a little bit of adjustments.
As for the top end...i do not know
Adding the reeds for more power would work, same with up jetting the carb.
I wouldn't adjust the sprocket to much, maybe 1 up? it's more about testing it...putting it on there and trying.
Never heard of someone using a ytm125 for towing??
haha gl on your project.

2smokey
06-17-2013, 08:15 PM
thanks everyone, this looks like a great site!! ok i figured that i just want an experienced riders input since ive never before tinkered with one of these, but yeah it wasent doing the best tow truck job in the world but in first gear it towed an 200lb aluminum ramp (2'X12') down 2 miles of trails and right up the street ( i had people staring at me and cheering me on in the street lol, i kinda live in the ghetto) but i mean i like it alot and for a 125 im not at all complaining about the power output but until you get to fourth and fifth gear it just dont feel that strong and fast ( im used to yz 125-250 and utility quads) but its dangerous enough as it is so im not lookin to go crazy with it i mainly want more low end power for spinning out, doing donuts, and towing stuff and that type of stuff (but i want a sprocket for a lil more top end lol im shifting 1 gear a second the way i drive it..) i dont want to haul alot, just the occasional aluminum transmission or steel pipes i find in the woods during riding that people dumped as trash. if i make 50$ a week it helps alot with maintenance and parts and its right there where i ride to have fun at anyway... ok so im gettin the front end should i get the yt-175 or the ytm-200 front or both and how well can i fit it? will my stock headlight work? will the stock wheel and axle? like i said im riding at sea level and pushing it hard should i upjet 1 or 2 sizes? im also going to add a high flow air filter and bigger air scoop. also i premix between 50-100 - 1 just as an extra depending on riding conditions even tho the oil pumps been bled, tested and runs fine. (to help on hot days or going slow while reving and towing stuff) but im going to try 1 size up on the sprocket first and see what that does, and im gonna add new reeds and jet 2 sizes up and add a high flow air filter, and see how the 125 set works. if its not powerful enough, ill get the 175 but is it steel bore or is it plated??? i can bore and hone steel but i dont wanna pay the money for plateing. also will i need different reeds for the 175? (either the yt or the dt or It) your help is very much appreciated this seems like a great site full of cool people and i cant wait to learn as much about trikes as you guys ive driven alot of stuff but this thing is really a thrill ride for me! any and all input much appreciated, thanks!

2smokey
06-19-2013, 01:26 PM
ok, so i changed my gear oil, filled the reservoir and premixed with yamalube 2t, and cleaned my carb for the 3rd time. it now starts 1s pull every time even cold without choke and you can sit on it and only pull the cord out a foot and it will start. also had to get new (way more comfy ) grips, funny story. i seen these guys driving their jeeps and small trucks around the trails and honestly...i followed em just waiting for them to get stuck (they always do, even big huge trucks) and they did, sure enough, but i tried to go around them on an older, unused overgrown trail that had a tree in the way, and huge ruts behind me so it would be a pain to try to back up.... so theres a 3' tall enbankment on the side of the trail at about a 45 degree angle, so i said *&^% it and tried, only to have the front end flop right back over, i rolled off and to the side, and lo and behold here is my trike sitting 100% upside down on the seat and the handlebars 3 wheels pointed directly up in the sky, and its STILL RUNNING AND PUTTING PERFECT! i just flipped it right back over and it was fine, never a sputter. this time i got on the side of it, pushed the gas a little and pushed from behind, this worked alot better this time :-) oh well, now i know. this is far from the fastest thing ive ever driven but all in all its a totally new experience and im having alot of fun on it. i have a huge burn on the side of my leg and tons of scratches from driving without the fenders (to make easy adjustments) but i dont care it was worth it. ill have all the stuff back on it tomorrow and ill take the first ride with it looking the way it was supposed to and ill at least get alot less muddy and cut up, but i cant wait for some power mods. maybe its good to learn to drive it a little first tho, right? still waiting on some advice before i dig into this thing, but havin alotta fun in the process and ill wait for your responses. thanks and have a good one dudes!

rg97
12-07-2013, 10:47 PM
If theres one thing that new trike owners should know... NEVER take your feet of the pegs. Firsthand experience: my dad was riding, put his foot down because the throttle on his 200x had stuck, and his leg got caught in the wheel and was broken. IDK why, but it seems that on trikes your feet are closer to the wheels than a lot of quads, and it only takes one mistake to ruin your riding for 6 months