PDA

View Full Version : ATC 200e shift problems

mudmike
06-18-2013, 03:00 PM
Well folks I have found your site very helpful in the past when I have had a problem with the atc but I finally found a problem that I couldn't find already answered. So I finally joined.

Ok, I have an 82 atc that I got earlier this year (jan? feb?) I got the joy of riding it once and submarined it blowing the head gasket and bending a valve. I finally got this thing back together and changed the clutches as I already had a set I was gonna put in the 185. Now I have a shift problem. To be honest it seems like I have a veague memory of it being there before but remembering one ride three months ago is kinda ....Fuzzy.

Anyway the meat and potatoes. This thing absolutely hates shifting into neutral. It will go sometimes but usually I have to kill the engine and it will drop as the engine dies (as it slows down but before it is dead). Also every once in a while it just will not shift out for example say it wont go from 1st to 2nd if it does it while up shifting it feels like you are trying to upshift when already in 5th. Other times It does it while downshifting and I get the same feeling (except pressing up). Either way if I try to shift opposite it will shift then I can come back thru and continue. Example: Trying to go from 2 to 3 it wont go but if I slow down go to 1st then back to 2 it will usually go to 3 (also works going down).

I have a few other symptoms but don't know if they are related.
1) The thing creeps in 1st at idle, my 185 would just sit but this thing will creep about 2mph. My friend said my idle was too fast but it is about the same as the 185. So not sure if is symptom or if my idle is too fast.
2) This thing also seems to have excessive play in the shift lever. It will move freely about 2 1/2 or 3 inches and sits at the bottom of the free play. This could be a symptom or bad adjustmet on the clutch. I adjusted the clutch by the screw and jam nut near the dip stick. I turned it right until I got free play. Then left until it lightly seated then back right 1/4 turn. This did not help the amount of free play. Before I adjusted it I had to use my finger to make it swing both up and down. After adjusting it I could take one finger and flip it up and it would fall right back down on its own. The amount of travel is still the same though.

edit: things I forgot yesterday
This thing also does a torque wheelie when you put it into first it will pull the front end about 3-4 inches off the ground.

Though I thought I was being careful is there something that I could have assembled wrong? Could this could cause the creep, excess free play, and the wheelie?

For the it just wont shift gears problem am I looking at shift forks?

Is there one item that could cause all the above? Just not thrilled about having to split the case but I do have a 185 to steal the forks out of (the bike had a bad top end then fell out my truck and down a levy while I was doing 45-40 so is pretty much dead)

SUPERTEX
06-27-2013, 04:00 PM
Hello iv also used the site for helpful info and just registered myself but i just got a 82 200e for free about 3 weeks ago got it running last weekend and im have a problem with the shifting also not as bad but it sometimes will not shift back up out of a gear easy it will shift into one but trying to pull it back up out of gears sometimes i have to try at it for a few times before it will let me drop down a gear, can someone please help me with this problem. Thanks!

SUPERTEX
06-29-2013, 06:12 PM
Well i guess there is no one that has any helpful help here or that people just dont look in the new members section....

barnett468
06-29-2013, 06:32 PM
Hello mudmike

I'm guessing you fixed your problem by now. If not just reply. The creep is likely too high of an idle. Another thing it might be is a weak or broken centrifugal clutch spring.

Check to see if shifter is loose on shift shaft.

SUPERTEX

It is best to post your problem in a new post. You will get many more responses that way.

ScreaminRed
06-29-2013, 06:41 PM
Did both of you download & print the service manual from oscarmayer.net? I used it when i had to replace the front sprocket of my '83 200E Big Red. I had to take the subtranny off and the side case to do this and the manual helped alot! :) Also, did you try to join the big red owner's group? I'm sure someone would know there.

I wish i could help more, but i didn't have to ask anything because of having the manual. SUPERTEX, remember not every
member logs in everyday. I know it stinks, but sometimes you have to wait a bit.

barnett468
06-29-2013, 06:55 PM
Hello

One way clutch bearing

One way clutch bearing p/n 91101-HA0-003 japanese made replacement

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/ONE-WAY-CLUTCH-FITS-MANY-HONDA-ATVS-REPLACES-91101-HA0-004-MADE-JAPAN-/140978526852?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20d2f99a84

Item 25 oem honda $74

http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-atc250es-big-red-1985_model18563/partslist/E__0600.html#results

barnett468
06-29-2013, 07:03 PM
Sorry posted #6 on wrong thread

SUPERTEX
06-29-2013, 10:13 PM
Thanks again and im sorry for not posting a new thread im new to forums posting and it just seemed easier to drop my post right here, and sorry alos for the out burst i understand that not everyone gets on and checks it was just upsetting me that i cant ask question anywhere but here and it was looking to me that not a whole lot of old members to the site check here but im stuck to this area, sorry again was just getting upset.

And i did join the Big Red Group already but as a new member i can not ask for help there yet just watch the posts.

And also if you guys have any helpful advise to the shift problem im having it would help me out, Thank you!!

ScreaminRed
06-30-2013, 09:51 AM
Super,
You didn't mention that you printed the service manual. I highly suggest you get that, because it really helps and has alot of
information on the whole trike. :)

SUPERTEX
06-30-2013, 10:44 AM
I do have service manuals for all my trikes ScreaminRed, I have gone through the clutch section a few times and can not find much help for my problem just how to disassemble it and replace broke parts and put it back together but all i could find for hard shifting is jsut afew words in the troubleshooting section about clutch adjustment and if that doesnt work something is broke and the assembly needs to come apart and be checked i was trying to find out what gets wore out or breaks for this to happen.

And Thanks ScreaminRed for pointing me to the manual it is like the bible for ATC's its gave me some good info before just not anything specific for this case

mudmike
07-01-2013, 11:06 AM
sorry took so long to reply but my van blew a head gasket and been dealing with that.

I rode the bike the other day and the creep was gone. Maybe the clutch needed to "wear in" a bit?

I was able to get it to shift into all gears but downshifting I had to hold up on the shift lever then blip the throttle before it would drop.

it also still wheelies when I drop it in first but at least it comes down and the machine stops now lol. (before it would wheelie and take off at 3mph or so and you couldn't shift back to neutral)

I just got a brand new shift lever and am 100% sure it is tight on the shaft. (Btw im gonna post a link to the shifter below do not buy one they are junk I literally have less than 45 min on my machine since I installed it and the rubber tip has already came off)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shifter-Shift-Lever-Pedal-ATC185-ATC200S-ATC200E-ATC200-ATC-185-200S-200E-200-S-/190862391044?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c7048f704&vxp=mtr

mudmike
07-01-2013, 11:15 AM
ok just tried to post and it disappeared so again

sorry it took so long to reply I had a head gasket go out on my van and been dealing with it.

I have done nothing to machine except ride it the other day and the creep has gone away. Maybe the clutch needed to "wear in" a bit?

I was able to get it to shift gears but it is still stubborn sometimes when it decides to be stubborn I hold the lever the way I want to go and blip the throttle and it usually drops.

it still wheelies when dropping into first but at least it just pops up and the bike comes down and sits instead of taking off with me.

As far as the shifter goes I just bought a new one of flea bay and am 100% sure it is tight to the shaft .

Just a word of caution though this is the shifter I bought http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shifter-Shift-Lever-Pedal-ATC185-ATC200S-ATC200E-ATC200-ATC-185-200S-200E-200-S-/190862391044?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c7048f704&vxp=mtr
I have less than 45 minutes of time on my machine since installing it and I have nearly lost the rubber tip twice (no I didn't soak it in oil this was pulled out of the package, installed on the machine, then I fired the machine and went on a test drive)

barnett468
07-01-2013, 12:01 PM
Hello mudmike

As far as the shifter goes I just bought a new one of flea bay and am 100% sure it is tight to the shaft. Just a word of caution though this is the shifter I bought http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shifter-Shift-Lever-Pedal-ATC185-ATC200S-ATC200E-ATC200-ATC-185-200S-200E-200-S-/190862391044?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c7048f704&vxp=mtr
I have less than 45 minutes of time on my machine since installing it and I have nearly lost the rubber tip twice

One of the best adhesives for your shift rubber app is Super Glue. See video below. The Loctite glue below is Super Glue with rubber in it but plain old Super Glue is fine and more readily available. Sand both surfaces with 220 and clean with brake clean or alcohol first. Super Glues dries super fast, be ready or be unhappy, lol.

Loctite Black Max.

http://www.rshughes.com/products/079340_38004.html

HOME GLUE TEST VIDEO, SKIP TO THE 3 MINUTE MARK.

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/threads/56317-What-glue-is-best-for-rubber-to-metal

mudmike
07-02-2013, 02:49 PM
Hello mudmike

One of the best adhesives for your shift rubber app is Super Glue. See video below. The Loctite glue below is Super Glue with rubber in it but plain old Super Glue is fine and more readily available. Sand both surfaces with 220 and clean with brake clean or alcohol first. Super Glues dries super fast, be ready or be unhappy, lol.

Loctite Black Max.

http://www.rshughes.com/products/079340_38004.html

HOME GLUE TEST VIDEO, SKIP TO THE 3 MINUTE MARK.

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/threads/56317-What-glue-is-best-for-rubber-to-metal

i just hit it with some spray glue myself but that wasn't the point. The point is this is a brand new part and i had to fix it as soon as i got it out of the box. The manufacturer should have made it correctly in the first place.