PDA

View Full Version : To Buy or Not to Buy Honda 125 ATC

Amazon3d
06-19-2013, 01:12 PM
So my dad was out look for a part for a mower when he noticed a guy had a 125 3-wheeler. I stopped by and it needs a new tank (wasn't on the trike when I saw it) but other than that he had it running.
It looks very complete with rear rack and front basket and lights.

What kinda of offer should I place on this?
I am still working on my 185/200s thought about getting this for my wife and nephew.
I paid $80 for my existing trike.

mudmike
06-19-2013, 01:34 PM
I have never trusted "It just needs ______ other than that it runs great" if I see something like that ill only pay about twice scrap price for it.

I think the 125s go about 200 lbs at $0.10 that 20 bucks. So most id give for it is 40.

Remember this is just my opinion and I am cheap. Well that and I never trust anybody trying to sell me something. So for me about $40 that way if I get screwed I can scrap it and only lose about 20 bucks.

kb0nly
06-19-2013, 01:43 PM
Hmmm... If the tank isn't included but running, toss $100 at him see if he takes it never know! Hows the tires? You will kill your budget replacing tires these days, up to $100 a piece for decent ones, so i always look at tires, frame, and overall condition of whats there.

Thats another good point to make, the frame, on the 90/110/125 model they have that stamped sheet metal frame, they like to crack at the back of the gas tank, so inspect that make sure it isn't cracked or a welded mess. Unless your talking about a later model 125, the difference is the earlier ones had a horizontal motor like the 90 and 110, the later second gen 125's had a vertical motor just like your 185/200's.

kb0nly
06-19-2013, 01:44 PM
I have never trusted "It just needs ______ other than that it runs great" if I see something like that ill only pay about twice scrap price for it.

I think the 125s go about 200 lbs at $0.10 that 20 bucks. So most id give for it is 40.

Remember this is just my opinion and I am cheap. Well that and I never trust anybody trying to sell me something. So for me about $40 that way if I get screwed I can scrap it and only lose about 20 bucks.

You would get laughed at around here, or even slapped, kicked, or shot if you offered that kind of a price. Seriously, they don't go cheap. I wish i could buy trikes for $40, even rough, here we pay $100-$200 for rough ones! And thats cheap!

Amazon3d
06-19-2013, 02:14 PM
It wasn't actually for sale, I asked him if he would sell it.

It's an older model with the horizontal engine, do you have picture of what I should be looking at, not sure what you mean by back of the gas tank.

Tires are pretty much dryrotted. They might be okay with tubes in them, but as is they don't look like they would hold air.

mudmike
06-19-2013, 02:27 PM
You would get laughed at around here, or even slapped, kicked, or shot if you offered that kind of a price. Seriously, they don't go cheap. I wish i could buy trikes for $40, even rough, here we pay $100-$200 for rough ones! And thats cheap!

As I said to me if the seller says "it just needs _____" I assume it is scrap and that sells by weight not by what the metal is bent into. Around here you have trouble giving away a trike I have seen several nice machines on CL for 5-600 bucks and they just set there for 3-4 months until the owner either gives up on trying to sell them or takes a lowball offer like $300 (the 250R seems to go for about 1200). Last time I looked there were several people trying to sell rough machines that came with a parts bike or two for like $350-400.
I got both of my trikes in trade I had a $100 stereo in my p/u a year later I wrecked the truck and was gonna scrap it. my friend traded me my 185 for the stereo. The 200e ran strong when I got it and I traded it straight across for a Chinese quad that wouldn't run. So I guess location effects the value of these things more than condition.

DasUberKraut
06-19-2013, 02:52 PM
This is aforementioned notorious frame cracking. Right behind the gas tank where the seat release is.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w33/Duggalo/2012-08-16_15-56-19_143-1.jpg

Big G
06-19-2013, 03:13 PM
I don't know much about the 125's, but like kb0nly said a good price to start is 100 bucks (wouldn't pay more than 200 if it isn't running - unless of course condition is mint). I think this is a safe bet with any trike you're uncertain about. If it ends up needing more than anticipated you could always part it out and make your money back easily.

I need to move to where you live Mike. I'd have a hay-day with 40 dollar trikes! :p

kb0nly
06-19-2013, 03:44 PM
Yep right where the seat latch rod goes through the frame.

At $40-$100 each I would have a yard full. lol.. Cheapest I got so far on cash deal was $200.. Trades I have gotten bit cheaper like the 90 I am working on now. But it needs a lot of work. Labor of love I say.

tri again
06-19-2013, 04:15 PM
All good advice.
We also noticed that trike prices have really jumped in the last year for some reason.
My personal fall back position is parts.
If it doesn't run, but the tires and tank are good, it's almost worth 200.

I have quite a few the GF wants me to get rid of.
I keep saying as they sit, 1-200$.
If I spend a day and get them running, 3 or 400, even with bad tires.

Tires are around 50 and tubes are easily 30 bucks plus all the work.

kb0nly
06-19-2013, 06:12 PM
They sure have jumped in price... I had one guy offer me $400 for the 90 i have the day i brought it home sitting at the gas station with the trailer. I told him nope needs a lot of work and i am looking forward to it. He said well offer stands, i said after its all fixed you can raise your offer, he said $600 tops... Yeah thats ok, i will have more into it than that when you consider parts and labor time spent, but hey at least i know i could sell it for a lot more then i got it for if i wanted to.

I just saw a 200M on a driveway for sale last week, they wanted $600 for it, i stopped by the other day because it wasnt out there anymore and i wanted to see if it sold or they pulled it back in out of the weather. He said nope sold in 8 hours after putting it out, sale price was $500 as the buyer talked him down due to one tire having a crack. That same trike about a year ago would set me back $2-300 so prices and demand are way up!

fcf35
06-20-2013, 12:28 AM
Don't look at just the bad.look it over and see what good that's on it.I don't trust the (it just needs) either.I also think 100 is more than fair considering the condition.now if you were talking a sportbike then I usually go into the gotta have it mode and making payment arrangements on my utilities where I spent that extra 200 I wasn't supossed to,LOL.ah the things I do for clutch bikes.

honda200xguy
06-20-2013, 12:33 AM
Yep right where the seat latch rod goes through the frame.

At $40-$100 each I would have a yard full. lol.. Cheapest I got so far on cash deal was $200.. Trades I have gotten bit cheaper like the 90 I am working on now. But it needs a lot of work. Labor of love I say.
WTF lol i just sold mine for $200.
NEVER TRUST "IT JUST NEEDS ______ AND IT WILL BE RUNNING, JUST SAT IN MY GARAGE LAST YEAR".
That actually means "I REALLY HAVE NO IDEA WHAT IS WRONG WITH IT, SO GOODLUCK ONCE I TAKE YOUR CASH, HAHAHAHA".

Amazon3d
06-20-2013, 08:11 AM
Maybe you sold it to KB lol

kb0nly
06-20-2013, 10:35 AM
Ha! Nope he didn't sell it to me!

Which one did you sell for $200?