PDA

View Full Version : 1984 honda 125m not shifting correctly

Slayer123
06-20-2013, 09:24 PM
ive been having these shifting problems lately a lot of the time when i shift up a gear on the three wheeler it will either not shift smoothly, not shift, or it will shift and then pop out of gear not to mention it sometimes takes a couple good forceful pulls to get it in gear. it should shift oh so smoothly idk what the issue would be but i changed the oil in the thing too. any ideas? thanks!

kb0nly
06-20-2013, 09:49 PM
Yep... You need to tear into the right side and replace your shift drum stopper, i would BET on it.

I have fixed more then a few of them now. You need a right side gasket, a clutch outer cover gasket, a clutch nut socket, a shift drum stopper arm, maybe the bolt for it too, and a little time.

I would tear it apart first of all and make sure that you didn't break the aluminum boss off the case, that can happen if you get too forceful shifting it, if thats ok and you just broke off the tip of the stopper arm or snapped off its pivot bolt then its about a half hour job to tear it down and put it back together. If you need the manual click on the link in my signature below and download it.

Its not too hard once you get the side off, you just have to remove the clutch outer cover, remove the lock nut, pull the clutch assembly off the crank then pull the gear that it mates with on the transmission shaft, that has a snap ring and you need a snap ring pliers for that, and then you have full access to the shift drum and stopper. If you download the service manual from my server go to page 90 of that pdf file for the parts diagram the stopper arm is upper left.

Only way to know whats going on is to tear into it, and STOP driving it, because you could have parts floating around that can do even more horrific damage. Also clean the oil screen while your in there and you will find plenty of gunk to clean out around that lock nut on the clutch as well, might as well service it at the same time.

Slayer123
06-21-2013, 08:07 PM
so i have to tear into the right side... do you mean the side with the back brake or the side with the pull starter? sorry for the stupid question... lol

kb0nly
06-21-2013, 09:11 PM
Not a stupid question at all!

The right side is the side with the rear brake pedal, in other words your sitting on it and your right side. Oh depending on if you have factory exhaust or not you might also have to unbolt and remove your exhaust, two nuts at the head and then the bolts that hold the muffler. Spray down the head studs with penetrating oil and let em soak a bit you don't want to break a stud.

You might also want to order a new exhaust gasket/donut if you end up ordering parts or you might have an exhaust leak at the head on re-assembly.

Slayer123
06-22-2013, 07:46 PM
is there some sort of a diagram you know of i can use to take this stuff apart because i dont wanna go into this not knowing a lot. thanks!

Slayer123
06-23-2013, 04:37 PM
i took the case off and just looked around a bit i didnt take anything apart in there but if the shift drum stopper arm is what i think it is than that looks totally fine. i dont know much about this stuff but i did notice some dings and scratch marks inside there. nothing to major i dont think but they probably shouldnt be there. if you could send me a diagram of the parts or something that would be cool too. but if not i know i can get a repair manual for the thing out my local public library too. and idk if you would want me to take pictures of the inside for you too just let me know. Thanks!

kb0nly
06-23-2013, 05:08 PM
The manual with the complete diagram is on my manual server, just click the link below in my signature to take you there and get it!

The diagram is on page 90 of that pdf file from my server.

Well dang, 99.999% of the time a shifting issue on a 125M is the stopper. The only other thing i can think of, change the oil, and adjust the clutch. But compare to the diagram first before your decide there is no problems in there. Could be a bent shift fork too, that would suck, have to split the cases to fix it. I always tell people don't shift it hard, if you have to use force stop and figure out whats wrong because you shouldn't need force to shift it. Using force will just ruin it worst.

DasUberKraut
06-23-2013, 05:09 PM
Take pictures. Any of the OEM parts websites like Bike Bandit, Rocky Mountain ATV, Honda Parts House can provide you with an exploded view parts diagram.

Here's what a broken stopper looks like.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w33/Duggalo/IMG_20130503_142651_856_zps5f896010.jpg

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w33/Duggalo/IMG_20130503_044850_592_zps1da13ed2.jpg

DasUberKraut
06-23-2013, 05:15 PM
Kb... I like the guys that kick the shifter so hard you'd think they were trying to curb stomp someone. I've witnessed people standing on them to get a machine to shift too.

kb0nly
06-23-2013, 05:20 PM
Kb... I like the guys that kick the shifter so hard you'd think they were trying to curb stomp someone. I've witnessed people standing on them to get a machine to shift too.

LOL.. Yep i have seen it also, i barely gotta tap my toes to shift mine.

barnett468
06-23-2013, 06:39 PM
Hello

Did this suddenly occur or did it start after something was changed like oil or clutch adjustment etc?

Does it always pop out of the same gear?

Since nothing looks obviously wrong you might try the following. You may not find anything but it’s free and easy to do. Get a friend to help you. These are just suggestions.

1. Put rear end on blocks.

2. Remove spark plug and lay it on head with plug wire connected.

2. Start in neutral.

3. Have friend pull chord as he shifts bike slowly through the gears. You can watch the shift drum etc and see if anything unusual occurs.

If this does not work it might be a bent shift fork as mentioned above.

Check clutch 5,7 and 9 in the OEM parts fiche below for proper function.

http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-atc125m-1984-usa_model55/partslist/E++06.html#results

If this looks fine then remove and clean clutch plates.

Inspect clutch hub and basbket for damage that could prevent plates from sliding freely.

If this appears fine and the oil you were using was a new type to this bike and it does NOT say "designed for wet clutch systems" then reassemble and try that. One member had a very similar problem and installed proper oil and it started shifting easily and properly after 15 minutes of riding. Again, cheaper and easier than taking your engine apart.

Slayer123
06-23-2013, 06:49 PM
the part i was thinking of that looked fin to me was infront of the gears i didnt even need to take the gears off to get to it. the part in the picture is behind the gears so ill have to take those gears off some how to get to the stopper

Slayer123
06-23-2013, 07:22 PM
171723This is the part i thought was the shift drum stopper but it looks fine it is right in front of all the gears
171724This is was i think is the shift drum stopper behind the gear
171726This picture i was just wondering if there was supposed to be a pin in that little hole too im not sure.

kb0nly
06-23-2013, 08:09 PM
I can tell you right now your stopper is broke... In your second picture the hook of the spring is on the top of the stopper arm, it should be underneath it providing upward tension, so it broke and the spring came off!

The part you thought was the stopper is part of the shifter assembly, no pin on that other part.

As i described in my other reply to you, you need to remove the clutch assembly, see that cover with the bearing in the center and the two philips screws? Remove that, under that there is a nut, you need the special socket to remove it, remove that nut and the entire clutch assembly comes off. Then the left gear thats over the stopper you just need to remove the snap ring holding it on the shaft, then pull the gear off.

I won the bet... ;-)

Slayer123
06-23-2013, 08:20 PM
alright sweet thats a good sign i guess haha. the stopper didnt look broken to me but i wouldnt know what a good one would look like anyways! but where could i get the special socket to take the nut off?

ps2fixer
06-23-2013, 08:23 PM
I agree with KB, I have a 125M with the same issue, broken boss :(.

You will either need to have someone weld it back on, and tell them to beef it up some, or replace the right case half with one that isn't broken. The welder can probably weld it together, just make sure he/she knows what they are doing, no point in paying to get it fixed to have it break again, or have other issues caused from the welding. BTW, You caught it early, mine has the bolt head worn down from rubbing on the drive gear, besides the fact the 3 wheeler came in a box lol.

Slayer123
06-23-2013, 08:36 PM
so what parts would i have to order than? just the arm, gasket and a spring? and than i put it all back together and im good to go?

ps2fixer
06-23-2013, 08:43 PM
The engine right half case is broken (the boss), so it needs repaired or replace. Gaskets, cleaning, put together, and don't forget OIL! To take off the clutch you will need a special socket. I home made mine out of a pipe, but I wasn't willing to wait for the shipping time for the proper tool at the time. Also the drive gear is held on by a snap ring, so you will need the snap ring tool as well if you don't already have one.

The right half center engine case is part number 11100-968-010, for exact matching only 125M machines will interchange from 84 and 85 based on the part number. It is item #1 in the diagram on this site: http://www.servicehondapsn.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=2568940&category=ATVs&make=Honda&year=1984&fveh=132998

Of course it isn't produced new any more, but you could get lucky to find a NOS (new old stock) one, or a good used one on ebay, or just pay someone to fix it for you that can weld/tig.

kb0nly
06-23-2013, 08:59 PM
His boss looks ok, the head of the bolt is where its supposed to be, i'm betting just the tip of the arm broke off. Look down behind that gear, do you see the end of the shift stopper arm? Should have a little roller tip on it, but since the spring is off i am betting the tip of the arm is broke off. Make sure you look for it! Usually its in that right side loose somewhere if it broke off.

As for parts...

Shift drum stopper...

http://dratv.com/268n.html

Shift drum stopper spring..

http://dratv.stores.yahoo.net/sdrstsp.html

Clutch nut socket...

http://dratv.com/clutnuttool4.html

Other than that you will need a new gasket for the outer clutch cover unless it comes off in one piece, i doubt it though.

http://dratv.stores.yahoo.net/clutnutcovga.html

It looks like your right cover gasket survived removal, but he has them also if you need one. Be careful with the bolt that holds the shift stopper on, when you reinstall it be ginger with it, they snap off easily and only need like 8 ft lbs of torque, so basically snug!

Slayer123
06-25-2013, 12:58 AM
just took the thing apart and it was the clutch drum stopper. it was broke exactly where you said. idk where the extra piece went but it isnt in there anymore... i wonder if it fell out when i pulled off the clutch cover the first time because i did that over the grass. im going to my local motorcycle shop to order the parts tomorrow too! Thanks

kb0nly
06-25-2013, 02:46 AM
Just to be sure look it over real good but it probably did drop out. The openings to the center are not large enough for it to get into the middle of the motor. I know cause I took a stopper and checked the roller won't fit through anything on the ones I have worked on.

If you got a local place that can get the parts your lucky! I have no choice but to order

ps2fixer
06-25-2013, 04:20 AM
If you need the drum shifter linkage with the 2 stoppers I have one from a 1982 ATC110 that I was going to fix my 125M with. Here is the part number, and what machines interchange based on part number.

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detail/honda/HP-24630-046-010.html

Actually.... I just noticed you can order it new from partzilla for $22.27, your honda dealership can order it too I bet.

kb0nly
06-25-2013, 10:35 AM
Dr ATV has them for a lot cheaper!

ps2fixer
06-25-2013, 12:13 PM
Who or where is Dr. ATV?

Slayer123
06-25-2013, 07:45 PM
just ordered the parts today the stopper was 12 bucks and the gasket for the cover was 14 bucks... haha oh well

kb0nly
06-25-2013, 09:16 PM
just ordered the parts today the stopper was 12 bucks and the gasket for the cover was 14 bucks... haha oh well

Not bad at all! About the same price as online...

To answer the other question...

www.dratv.com

Has almost every ATC part you need.

sammiefish
11-16-2015, 08:58 AM
(nevermind i think i figured it out, ignore below)

sorry for the digging up this old post... but...

I have this problem too... (84 125m) have all parts on the way... including the big case gasket...
BUT, I cant find the clutch nut gasket in my diagrams... that is referenced just above... the round one
from dratv. I dont see it listed in the gasket kit diagrams?? hmmm... what is this thing...

honda 200m
11-20-2015, 10:37 PM
is your clutch tight enough

sammiefish
11-21-2015, 02:38 PM
Opened her up today. My shift stopper was fine. It was the case boss for the bolt that was broken. Arrrggghhh. I'm going Tuesday to get 'er welded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sammiefish
11-21-2015, 02:39 PM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/21/735fc447e0d11e288186f2d251b780e8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sammiefish
11-23-2015, 08:32 AM
Has anyone had luck having the case nub welded back on?

Mike280
04-18-2016, 03:03 PM
I have this same issue. Anybody use a longer bolt or stud to catch those couple threads still in the case and jbweld it?

ps2fixer
04-20-2016, 06:04 PM
I have heard of people having success using a longer bolt and jb welding, but tried it and it didn't last. If you know a welder, that would be your best option.

Mike280
04-21-2016, 08:10 AM
I have heard of people having success using a longer bolt and jb welding, but tried it and it didn't last. If you know a welder, that would be your best option.

thanks. I'm getting it welded next week I will post some pics when done. Is there a main thread that has consolidated pics of this issue I can't find it.

ps2fixer
04-21-2016, 01:08 PM
This one has a couple photos.

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/155006-Another-Honda-ATC-125m-Transmission-Problem

CAJUNCANNON03
04-21-2016, 10:11 PM
Honda Parts

kb0nly
04-22-2016, 04:50 AM
I had one welded up last year, local welding shop did a great job welding it up building it up with extra material around it and cleaned up the threads inside. Worked like new after assembly.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk