PDA

View Full Version : 200x failing to spark

honda200xguy
06-21-2013, 08:02 PM
So my 1st gen 200x (1983) has little or no spark...
Where should i start and what should i do to figure this out?
I know it getting spark has something to do with the CDI? and the stator? i think.
YES i put a new spark plug in..and no its not fowled because i just rebuilt the engine 100% and just put it back on the frame.
and just NOW realized it has no spark..i can't remember if it did before i rebuilt it.
help please.

honda200xguy
06-23-2013, 11:08 PM
anyone?????:wondering

kb0nly
06-24-2013, 12:53 AM
Check your basics! If you need the wiring diagram and such i have the 200X service manual on my server, link is below in my signature.

Check the output of the source coil / stator with a voltmeter set to AC or even just a basic test light its the Black/Red wire, if you have voltage there check for input at the CDI on the same wire, by checking both ends of each wire you eliminate any problems in the harness. If you have output from the stator and input at the CDI then check the input and output of the pulse generator, aka the pickup coil on the advancer, the green and blue/yellow wires to that.

If you have input to the pulse gen but no output then you know its the pulse gen, if you have no input to the pulse gen then you probably have a bad CDI.

But if you have input and output to the pulse gen then check for voltage at the ignition coil, if that has voltage then check each end of the plug wire for a good connection.

You just have to chase through every part till you find the one not working!