PDA

View Full Version : My Honda 200e/s 2 wheeler conversion

joefixit0
06-21-2013, 09:15 PM
Here's my latest project, a honda 200 2 wheeler conversion made with mostly parts I've had sitting around. 200e frame and motor, 200s front forks and fenders, (front and rear) and a yamaha bw 200 swing arm. I will add more pics if you guys are interested!

kb0nly
06-21-2013, 09:45 PM
Cool! Keep the pics coming also interested in seeing this progress!

TxPowderCoater
06-21-2013, 10:13 PM
heck yeah! show that bad boy off, I wanna see more

Larry T Moore
06-21-2013, 10:39 PM
*weeps at what was a 3 wheeler*

kb0nly
06-21-2013, 11:47 PM
*weeps at what was a 3 wheeler*

Normally i would agree if its a butch job, but so far its looking like he is doing it right.

bigworm626
06-22-2013, 12:27 AM
Keep it up!

Akracing
06-22-2013, 12:28 AM
Looks Awesome.... I Have A Rough 200es In The Garage... Gives Me An idea:lol:

my1423
06-22-2013, 01:18 AM
Not bad should be really fun.

Few things to help out from things I have learned from friends builds and mine.
The jack shaft slack will drive you nuts!

Since you are using an 83 big red you have to be really careful on the chain to prevent breaking the case or wearing it.
The bw200 inner sprockets are 530 not 520 chain. Not sure if they make a 530 front for the 83 or if the 530 chain will clear the case inside.
Might want to check. You can always cut the inner jack shaft sprocket down to a 520 but trust me, try to keep 530 on it.
That chain is really under stress on speed changes and with the case being so closed in the risk is much more.
The 200m my bud has broke many a front chain.

My bw200 has not broken the front on me. Slack on it really annoys me riding it.
Noisy and jerky!

Try to get the angle of the swing arm pivot, front sprocket, and jack shaft all in a straight row.
tack the bits in place and sit on the rear and see your alignment with the shocks compressed.
The chain will always rub the guide on the swing arm but you can move the shock mounts around or the pivot to make it not rub most of the time.

Saw one recently on a ride. Really neat way they did it up.
They added a little plate to move the pivot back 3 inches and 3 beefy chain rollers right in front of the pivot as chain guides.
One in the middle of the chain, one above, one below.
This way the chain will never rub the swing arm and will stay tight in a line.
As the arm drops the lower and center wheel hold the chain in place for the shaft.

The front end will need work.
Rode one that the guy cut the neck and pushed the front end out a few degrees. Guessing 5 or so.
The bike was really twitchy and hard to control in rough stuff with the stock 3 wheeler nearly vertical rake.
Flipping the forks around helped.

Adding length to the forks really helps as well.
The one I just saw had the kawasaki front end on it.
They cut and extended it to make level the bike for the front is already low and the frame rake made it lower.
Like this front end but with 3 inches added to it.
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/oldsite/files/Sads/sKaw1983klt200bklt200cB.jpg

joefixit0
06-22-2013, 01:58 AM
I totally understand where you're coming from, I would never cut up a perfectly good 3 wheeler, this is made entirely of single parts that I have aquired from buddies, and /or previous projects, and believe me I still had a tough time cutting up the frame!

joefixit0
06-22-2013, 02:02 AM
I actually used a bw outer sprocket for the inner sprocket to match the stock honda 520 sprocket, and tried to keep it as tight as I could initially, hopefully it will last, if not I may have to add a tensioner of some sort. Thanks for all the other info on the front end stuff, this is all definitely an experiment for me.

joefixit0
06-22-2013, 02:13 AM
Here's a few more pics, I appreciate all the input so far...

joefixit0
06-22-2013, 02:30 AM
And some more pics, still getting evrything figured out, but trying to keep it as much honda atc as I can..

my1423
06-22-2013, 04:47 AM
Thats cool!
Nice Work!
Got to fab up a neat skid plate and crash bars.
Bud did not add those and broke the clutch cover a while back.

Do you have any fold up pegs? If not might want to make some.
Those stock ones with no give will take you down since the bike is so wide.
Used some fold up ones from another year, think it was a 200s but can not remember.

A guard and chain on the shifter is needed as well. To exposed as a bike.

The look it has screams auxiliary fuel tank.
Like the ones the old trail 90/110 bikes had.
Might be a neat add one to offset the pipe on the opposite side.

Like the way you made the stock pipe look like a stock bw! Nice retro look in the mounting!

You might have room for the chain rollers i mentioned.

Are you adding anything like a tab for the set screws that adjust the offset bushings?
Or did you replace them with regular bushings?

My buds bike how he changed the rake was to cut the front down tube out.
Torched the top tube right behind the bracing and bent for his rake.
Then he rolled a new down tube so it curved right into the old spots.
Had to cut off the tank mount bolt and move it back a little.
Gave the tank a little upward tilt. Not much.

Your work is way better then my buds cobble work.
Cant wait to see it all done so I can show him.
I got another old frame outback that has issues. Might convince him to rebuild his.
He built his swing arm out of pillow blocks, 2 inch square tube, and an old street bike swinger. Its ugly.

ColtonGG33
06-22-2013, 02:45 PM
That is awesome! Looks really good. I've seen some people do this before but not near as good ( I'm not talking about anyone on here) keep up the good work!. So what are you gonna do about a seat?

joefixit0
06-22-2013, 05:27 PM
Actually doing some final assembly now, should be an interesting ride. The seat from the 200e still fits, as I did not change that part of the frame, I will also try to find some busted up old fenders that I can trim into side panels, and to fill the space under the seat. I left all the factory mounting tabs for these as well. I also welded in tabs on the rear to run a front 200s fender.

ColtonGG33
06-22-2013, 07:15 PM
This is gonna be awesome to see all done! You gotta upload some videos of it when its running.

coolpool
06-23-2013, 01:48 PM
Looks awesome and nice work. I'm thinking a set of old CR number panels on the sides would look nice.

joefixit0
06-29-2013, 10:48 PM
I finally got some more parts and some time to work on the 2 wheeler again, new kenda rear tire, new sprocket and chain, front brake shoes and wheel bearings. I had it running today for a couple minutes, just with a gas squirt bottle, it sounding pretty good! Just have to coat the tank and get a battery and some fenders, paint the rear rack, and some other misc. odds and ends. I'm excited to give it a test ride...I'll post more pics as it progresses.

kb0nly
06-29-2013, 11:00 PM
Don't coat the tank, all that brings is regrets.... LOL

I would clean the rust out, unless its full of holes?

joefixit0
06-29-2013, 11:10 PM
Thanks for the advice, there are no holes in the tank, just a little rusty, I think I will try and give it a good cleaning first, I've heard too many bad stories of the tank liner not adhereing properly...:)

SUPERTEX
06-30-2013, 08:03 PM
Looking great if you do coat the tank please let me know what you use and how the whole process on the coating goes, and how it turns out because i have a 200e tank that is very nice on the outside but for some reason it is bad off on the inside and has started to leak out of a few pin holes on the bottom side.

But i would really like to use the metal tank instead of the plastic one i have on my Big Red the metal one just looks nicer.

kb0nly
07-01-2013, 12:17 AM
If it ain't got holes, buy a couple gallons of Apple Cider Vinegar, regular Vinegar don't have enough kick... Fill the tank, put the cap on, let it sit somewhere warm, and come back after a couple days and be amazed. You will be pouring the rust out, then you need to wash it, last one i did i used my little power washer to flush it out good then after shaking out as much water as i could i filled it with gas and it was ready to ride. This ATC90 tank was RUSTY inside, it was just surface rust but really rough looking, its shiny and new now.

I have used both the apple cider vinegar and The Works toilet bowl cleaner. The toilet bowl cleaner works a lot faster but can also eat paint and through thin spots in the tank. The apple cider vinegar is strong enough to eat the rust but won't harm the tank otherwise.

I usually empty the tank through a couple coffee filters sitting in a funnel back into the jug, then if the tank looks like it needs more time i just pour the filtered apple cider vinegar back in and let it soak again. Costs about $8 here for two gallons, and its the cheapest and most environmentally safe, as well as tank and human safe, way to do it.

my1423
07-01-2013, 01:40 PM
Warning vinegar will eat the aluminum petcock!
Remove it and plug the hole unless you plan to replace it.

joefixit0
07-02-2013, 02:52 AM
Well I'm getting close to done now, just waiting on a rear fender, I actually took it for a spin today, borrowed the seat and battery from my 200es, I love it! The gearing is a bit taller than the original big red, but actually a perfect ratio for the 2 wheeler. Steering is not bad, I put a little extra air in the front tire and that seems to help. This thing will climb hills like crazy, feels real stable, with the wheel way out behind, as it is nearly 6 inches longer than the original 3 wheeler. Overall a real blast to ride! Thanks kb0nly for the vinegar trick, it did the job!

my1423
07-02-2013, 10:02 AM
Looks great!
If you decide you want a little better handling/ narrower stiffer, front tire, more front travel, and more front height a 200x front end will help.
Here is a thread with how someone else did it.
Cut the stock pin and welded it onto the 200x triples.
http://www.3wheeler.org/vb/showthread.php?48720-Putting-a-200x-tree-on-the-110

EddyO
07-04-2013, 10:48 PM
That is very cool keep us updated on how it rides/handles.

cap
02-07-2014, 04:41 PM
Very nice build! any updates to report on. I have a Big wheel swing arm in the garage and when I layed it under my 200M I didn't think it would line up on the drive sprocket and still keep the wheel centered. I see now the wheel sits offset in the swing arm, so it looks like everything lined up for you. Nice job, how is the front chain working out?

DohcBikes
02-07-2014, 05:22 PM
Awesome!! Hadn't seen this before, the rear rack is my favorite!

Dual z guy
02-13-2014, 12:37 AM
Great job on the conversion!! I like it.

Trimoto74
02-13-2014, 06:25 PM
I too have a 200e laying around..... hmmmm..... pretty fricken cool!

fabiodriven
02-13-2014, 08:12 PM
I'm very impressed, that came out great! You gonna put fork boots on it? Nice fabrication!

cap
02-13-2014, 08:37 PM
I have a 200E parts pile and a big wheel swing arm??
Don't think I could weld that nice though.

Looks like joefixit0 is not active hear for awhile.

joefixit0
04-01-2014, 06:59 PM
Hey wow, thanks for all the comments, I haven't been on here in a while, here's a couple pics of the finished product except for fork boots and side panels...if any one has a really crappy pair of 200e es or m rear fenders that I can cut the side panel part out of let me know. I need basically the triangle and the plastic along the underside of the seat only. I'd never cut up a nice fender! I ended up lengthening the front forks about 3 inches to get the front up, handles way better now. If you check out the pics, I just added the bottom clamp part from a bent pair of forks that I had sitting around the shop. The 2 wheeler has plenty of power in high range, I barely have used low at all. One other mod I think I may do is to narrow the footpegs down a bit, because this thing is way wide, and if you have to put a foot down in a hurry, you'd be likely to get it sucked under!:)

DohcBikes
04-01-2014, 08:51 PM
Frontend extension looks great! Dang man I love that bike!:beer

It looks really functional, most conversions do not.

crazycooter
04-01-2014, 09:15 PM
That's cool! I want to build one now.

joefixit0
04-01-2014, 09:59 PM
The front chain is working fine so far, the trick was starting it out initially with almost too much tension so it would stretch to the right length, also I tried to use a good quality chain so the stretching is minimal.

cap
04-04-2014, 02:23 PM
Hard part is done!

Thanks go to Joefixit0 for the design work.

joefixit0
04-04-2014, 02:48 PM
Looks good, feel free to ask if you want any more pics or have questions.

NeverLift
04-04-2014, 03:23 PM
Gnarly build. I love this thing. Great work. I want to see some videos.

joefixit0
04-04-2014, 09:04 PM
Here's a video I made of the machine, sorry the camera was slightly out of adjustment, and I'm an amateur film maker! :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbINxJRN75c&feature=youtu.be

cap
04-30-2014, 11:54 PM
I have finished my Joefixit tribute Honda BW200 FatCat, well almost. I still need to hang fenders, and fashion a rack for the rear and chase a couple oil leaks. I think it's great and is a real blast to ride!
From a pile of rancher junk to a mean desert cruising machine, he ah!!
Thanks Joe for the inspiration!

czac
05-01-2014, 08:09 AM
Nice video... lol that looks fun as heck to ride and... great music too, fits it great!

czac
05-01-2014, 08:10 AM
I have finished my Joefixit tribute Honda BW200 FatCat, well almost. I still need to hang fenders, and fashion a rack for the rear and chase a couple oil leaks. I think it's great and is a real blast to ride!

looks awesome! now, do it to a shaft drive! Please? lol

cap
05-01-2014, 09:36 AM
looks awesome! now, do it to a shaft drive! Please? lol

It's been done by atc500x, came out awesome!

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/105698-Fat-Cat-250sx

ironchop
05-01-2014, 09:46 AM

that's a great looking machine there. I wanna ride the hell out of it!!

Nice work.

Welcome to the forum.

czac
05-01-2014, 11:01 AM
It's been done by atc500x, came out awesome!

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/105698-Fat-Cat-250sx

wow, that did... he must be some sort of evil genius or something...lol Id love to make my Yammie into one. that would be killer for cruising around in the woods. no more having to judge if your ass end is gonna fit between the two trees up ahead.... lol

MPDano
10-01-2014, 07:57 AM
Thanks for the advice, there are no holes in the tank, just a little rusty, I think I will try and give it a good cleaning first, I've heard too many bad stories of the tank liner not adhereing properly...:)

Not true in my case. I used the Por15 kit 3 years ago in my 79 Honda Odyssey and it's holding up just as it did the day I coated it. You have to follow the instructions to the T, but it's well worth it. My tank should have been thrown away as it was that rusty inside. It had pinholes everywhere too.

20226520227520227420227620226620226720226820226920 2270202271202272202273

MPDano
10-01-2014, 07:59 AM
Hey wow, thanks for all the comments, I haven't been on here in a while, here's a couple pics of the finished product except for fork boots and side panels...if any one has a really crappy pair of 200e es or m rear fenders that I can cut the side panel part out of let me know. I need basically the triangle and the plastic along the underside of the seat only. I'd never cut up a nice fender! I ended up lengthening the front forks about 3 inches to get the front up, handles way better now. If you check out the pics, I just added the bottom clamp part from a bent pair of forks that I had sitting around the shop. The 2 wheeler has plenty of power in high range, I barely have used low at all. One other mod I think I may do is to narrow the footpegs down a bit, because this thing is way wide, and if you have to put a foot down in a hurry, you'd be likely to get it sucked under!:)

Genius work man. I too would like to tackle this on. Thanks for the progress pics.

Leo

cap
07-18-2015, 02:03 PM
I'm still riding my Joefixit style BigWheel.
Tired of running over my legs I finally cut down the pegs.

cap
07-18-2015, 02:04 PM
Anyone else build one of these cool bikes yet?

Made some bar risers today also, I'm 6'1" so now it's even more comfy!

Old risers for spacers.

whyat
07-19-2015, 01:24 PM
Very nice job.

knappyfeet
07-23-2015, 12:37 AM
Anyone else build one of these cool bikes yet?

Made some bar risers today also, I'm 6'1" so now it's even more comfy!

Old risers for spacers.

I want one now. It appears to be fairly straight forward. You both did an outstanding job.....really inspirational. Now I just need a yamaha swing arm and an old big red pile.

joefixit0
09-24-2016, 10:56 PM
Here it is after 3 years and quite a few miles, still going strong! Additions include front rack with custom headlight lift bracket, aluminum side covers and 10 gauge steel skid plate.

Modes
10-15-2017, 09:10 PM
Here it is after 3 years and quite a few miles, still going strong! Additions include front rack with custom headlight lift bracket, aluminum side covers and 10 gauge steel skid plate.

You have mentioned a couple of times that you extended the front forks. How did you do that?

czac
10-16-2017, 07:31 AM

that thing is so badd a**.... good job on the build! I bet its fun to ride!

TK ROCKET
12-17-2017, 09:27 PM
Looks awesome !

Thor34
03-19-2018, 12:44 PM
Not bad should be really fun.

Few things to help out from things I have learned from friends builds and mine.
The jack shaft slack will drive you nuts!

Since you are using an 83 big red you have to be really careful on the chain to prevent breaking the case or wearing it.
The bw200 inner sprockets are 530 not 520 chain. Not sure if they make a 530 front for the 83 or if the 530 chain will clear the case inside.
Might want to check. You can always cut the inner jack shaft sprocket down to a 520 but trust me, try to keep 530 on it.
That chain is really under stress on speed changes and with the case being so closed in the risk is much more.
The 200m my bud has broke many a front chain.

My bw200 has not broken the front on me. Slack on it really annoys me riding it.
Noisy and jerky!

Try to get the angle of the swing arm pivot, front sprocket, and jack shaft all in a straight row.
tack the bits in place and sit on the rear and see your alignment with the shocks compressed.
The chain will always rub the guide on the swing arm but you can move the shock mounts around or the pivot to make it not rub most of the time.

Saw one recently on a ride. Really neat way they did it up.
They added a little plate to move the pivot back 3 inches and 3 beefy chain rollers right in front of the pivot as chain guides.
One in the middle of the chain, one above, one below.
This way the chain will never rub the swing arm and will stay tight in a line.
As the arm drops the lower and center wheel hold the chain in place for the shaft.

The front end will need work.
Rode one that the guy cut the neck and pushed the front end out a few degrees. Guessing 5 or so.
The bike was really twitchy and hard to control in rough stuff with the stock 3 wheeler nearly vertical rake.
Flipping the forks around helped.

Adding length to the forks really helps as well.
The one I just saw had the kawasaki front end on it.
They cut and extended it to make level the bike for the front is already low and the frame rake made it lower.
Like this front end but with 3 inches added to it.
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/oldsite/files/Sads/sKaw1983klt200bklt200cB.jpg

my1423,

I am working on a conversion myself and I am curious about the lengthening of the front forks. How do you go about lengthening the font forks?

Thanks,
Thor34

joefixit0
03-21-2018, 11:38 PM
I cut the clamping part of the forks off of a pair of bent forks that I had and welded them to the bottom of the forks, gaining approx 2" in height.251143

Thor34
03-22-2018, 07:00 AM
Ah, Ok I see it. Thanks for the follow up. Your bike is awesome, I saw your youtube video before i found you on the forum. Definitely and inspiration for my build.