PDA

View Full Version : A new idea.

dirtydeeds
06-28-2013, 09:27 PM
Let's say there was a way to put IRS on a trike. Would it be a good idea?

It would probably climb hills more predictably, be more stable at speed and offer a bit more ground clearance.

The main problem I see is that it may not corner well at slower speeds.

Thoughts?

SiiCHo
06-28-2013, 10:27 PM
I see issues with cornering at any speed, especially high speed. Seems to me like it would just roll to the outside of the turn and flip easier than they already do with a solid axle. Now if you could come up with a way to put a limited slip diff and half shafts, that could be an improvement

dirtydeeds
06-28-2013, 10:59 PM
I thought about that. There is body roll with independent suspension, no doubt. I'm not yet convinced that it would be completely detrimental. If it was; quads with ind. suspension on all 4 corners would be rolling all over the place. It could very well dive into corners being that there is less on the front to stop it from doing so.
I suppose I need to ride a quad with ind susp in order to grasp its true effects.

cummins062wd
07-01-2013, 05:34 PM
I agree with siicho

SiiCHo
07-01-2013, 09:40 PM
I thought about that. There is body roll with independent suspension, no doubt. I'm not yet convinced that it would be completely detrimental. If it was; quads with ind. suspension on all 4 corners would be rolling all over the place. It could very well dive into corners being that there is less on the front to stop it from doing so.
I suppose I need to ride a quad with ind susp in order to grasp its true effects.

quads DO dive into turns, but having 2 wheels in the front keeps the quad stable. as you slow approaching a turn, your weight shifts to the front wheels, as you turn, your weight shifts to the outside of the turn, due to inertia. having 2 wheels in the front is more stable. period. now think of a trike, if you were to grab your handle bars with it sitting still and pull sideways, which way will it tip? forward and to the side. the same way inertia will take it while cornering. adding IRS would just aggravate this problem. this is why the reverse trike design is WAY more stable. (can-am spyder) if you were to have IRS on a trike, the only way to keep it somewhat stable would be to have super stiff springs and shocks to prevent roll, or some type of sway bar-- both of which would defeat the purpose. have you ever cornered really hard in a bone stock car? (im not talking about a sports car) it will body roll to the front outside like crazy... now lower that same car, stiffen the springs, and add stiffer sway bars, and it will corner like a champ, comparatively.

RIDE-RED 250r
07-01-2013, 09:50 PM

Yes you do...

I have not ridden one of the couple IRS sport quads as of yet, and I'm sure they don't roll as much as a 4x4's.

But having said that, I have ridden Grizzlies, King Quads and such and while they ride like Cadillacs at mild trail speeds they do not corner well when trying to ride aggressively. Not that it is necessarily poorly equipped for what they are designed to do. But when you push them into doing things they weren't designed to do, things get pretty tippy and uncomfortable.

Stick with a solid rear axle on a trike.

3wheeled roofer
07-01-2013, 10:44 PM
Free style wheelies like the wheelie king doug domokos. That isn't the right spelling but I think that would be the only real use.https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9YINDOL7oOU

mudmike
07-02-2013, 02:58 PM
I see issues with cornering at any speed, especially high speed. Seems to me like it would just roll to the outside of the turn and flip easier than they already do with a solid axle. Now if you could come up with a way to put a limited slip diff and half shafts, that could be an improvement

my concern wasn't that it would roll my concern is that it just would not turn. What i mean is if you wanna go left (talking about tight turns) you turn the bars slightly left then lean right and bringing the left tire off the ground this allows it turn. If it had IRS w/o a diff my concern is i would turn slightly left lean the bike right the IRS would have so much travel both wheels stay on the ground and it would just push the front wheels like a plow (kinda like if you are on a 2wd quad and turn the bars while in soupy mud).

hatc200x1
07-02-2013, 07:48 PM
The best reason for IRS would be for ground clearance IMHO, would be way better for mud as you dont have a nice solid axle hanging you up.