PDA

View Full Version : 07 silverado classic cluster question

threewheelin-feelin
06-28-2013, 09:28 PM
ok guys i know the 99 to 07 gm pickup had bad clusters but i havent seen a problem like mine before. my amp gauge was the first to malfunction. sometimes it will peg all the way to the right. sometimes it will go to 17 volts. sometimes its fine and i have checked with a volt meter and its charging at 14 where it should. and some times the battery light come on. next my temp gauge started randomly reading high and i notice when i shut the truck off it would not return all the way back over to the left. the volt gauge also would not return to the left. now the gas gauge is doing the same thing. but its always random. some times they return all the way back to the left and work perfectly for days then they will mess up again and may not work right for days. so im trying to figure out what to do. replace the cluster? or the stepper motors? all of them ive seen either dont work or peg all the way to the right. also if it makes a difference my speedo and tach and oil gauge work fine.

MIK6
06-28-2013, 10:04 PM
My 04 cluster is junk too! No oil pressure, no tac, no speedo.. I found a place near buy that charges $200 to repair it after I remove it.. ive just been using my garmin as a speedo, just when you get pulled over dont tell the officer, no speedo is another ticket.. lol

MIK6/ Mike

threewheelin-feelin
06-29-2013, 02:17 AM
My 04 cluster is junk too! No oil pressure, no tac, no speedo.. I found a place near buy that charges $200 to repair it after I remove it.. ive just been using my garmin as a speedo, just when you get pulled over dont tell the officer, no speedo is another ticket.. lol

MIK6/ Mike

lol yeah man gm should be replacing these for free they are junk! i hope gm has stepped up there game on the 08 to present full size pickups and suvs cause the 99 to 2007 was full of recalls and bulletins. i had less trouble out of my old 1988 silverado then this 07 i have. im slowly losing faith in GM and i have been a die hard GM guy since i was a kid. i have had this truck 2 years and i have had it in the shop for a bulletin on the 1-2 shift solenoid. just had it at the beginning of june in the shop for a recall on the blower motor resister melting. i had to do both knock sensors. the vent at the tank is bad throwing a service engine light. at around 50k i had both front wheel bearings go bad wich it was fixed under warranty but i still feel it was premature failure. ive got weather stripping that is leaking into my cab in the rain. and now my cluster is going insane. i dont even have 100 k on the truck yet i think im right at 91k. i am very frustrated right now.

MIK6
06-29-2013, 09:34 AM
The dash recall is good till 100k, mine died at 101........ so im SOL!
Get in and push the issue, make them rebuild all the guages, they will keep going bad..

MIK6/ Mike

threewheelin-feelin
06-29-2013, 11:11 AM
Dude i feel for ya........i stopped with the big 3 crap a long time ago when my f150 had dual tanks and the gas gauge was like a tachometer ! I mean COME-ON can`t we make sh!t better then that ? They`re not much cheaper then Toyota thats the rout i took but then again toyota don`t make i ton dually or van w/diesel ! Sorry i was`nt any help chevy should fix it free or sue them !:mad::mad::mad::wondering:mad::mad::mad:

im not feeling happy about the tundra either. it has had its share of recalls and my girl friends dad as had a few issues with his. not to mention the price of parts for the tundra. i also feel very uncomfortable in the tundra the seat in them suck i think. i just dont know i think im going to start looking for another 80's style chevy pickup

Slingblade
06-29-2013, 11:31 AM
You can buy the updated stepper motors on ebay, 6 for about $30. If you plan on keeping the truck, go ahead and change them all, as they seem to closely follow each other in death.

If you're handy with a pencil type solder gun it's really not a hard job. With some you get instructions on calibrating, if not plenty of info via the net.

UPNATM
06-29-2013, 01:36 PM
Sounds like the cluster to me, but before you drop the $300, to replace it, I would have it properly diagnosed.
Clusters are replaced on an exchange basis, and to order the correct one for your truck, you are going to need to pull it, and get the OE part number off of the back of the unit. The dealer can order the new cluster with your miles already programmed into it.

ok guys i know the 99 to 07 gm pickup had bad clusters but i havent seen a problem like mine before. my amp gauge was the first to malfunction. sometimes it will peg all the way to the right. sometimes it will go to 17 volts. sometimes its fine and i have checked with a volt meter and its charging at 14 where it should. and some times the battery light come on. next my temp gauge started randomly reading high and i notice when i shut the truck off it would not return all the way back over to the left. the volt gauge also would not return to the left. now the gas gauge is doing the same thing. but its always random. some times they return all the way back to the left and work perfectly for days then they will mess up again and may not work right for days. so im trying to figure out what to do. replace the cluster? or the stepper motors? all of them ive seen either dont work or peg all the way to the right. also if it makes a difference my speedo and tach and oil gauge work fine.

threewheelin-feelin
06-29-2013, 10:14 PM
Sounds like the cluster to me, but before you drop the $300, to replace it, I would have it properly diagnosed.
Clusters are replaced on an exchange basis, and to order the correct one for your truck, you are going to need to pull it, and get the OE part number off of the back of the unit. The dealer can order the new cluster with your miles already programmed into it.

thats what im trying to figure out is how to test it to find out if its the motors or the cluster. i was a apprentice mechanic at a gm dealer for 2 years and never had to test one. so im lost. i would hate to replace the motors and then it be the cluster

300rman
07-01-2013, 10:05 AM
You can buy the updated stepper motors on ebay, 6 for about $30. If you plan on keeping the truck, go ahead and change them all, as they seem to closely follow each other in death.

If you're handy with a pencil type solder gun it's really not a hard job. With some you get instructions on calibrating, if not plenty of info via the net.

Yep, thats what I did for a friend. Easy job if you are good with the soldering/de-soldering processes.

Pretty sure the clusters read the mileage from the PCM and simply display it, rather than actually store the data.

UPNATM
07-01-2013, 10:58 AM
Yep, thats what I did for a friend. Easy job if you are good with the soldering/de-soldering processes.

Pretty sure the clusters read the mileage from the PCM and simply display it, rather than actually store the data.

Actually, the IPC holds the milage, and doesnt pull the info from the PCM.
When we order them, we have the option of having ISS (the company that supplies the cluaters for GM)
to either have them program the miles in, or have the tech program them with tech 2 mdi scanner.

zzmegad
07-01-2013, 06:24 PM
yeah the cluster holds the info. there is a ton of info on the net and companies selling upgraded stepper motors with lifetime warranty.

here is one guy I was looking at http://www.gmgaugerepair.com/

I'm not sure if 07 is the same?

threewheelin-feelin
07-03-2013, 12:23 AM
yeah the cluster holds the info. there is a ton of info on the net and companies selling upgraded stepper motors with lifetime warranty.

here is one guy I was looking at http://www.gmgaugerepair.com/

I'm not sure if 07 is the same?

yeah im trying to deside right now what i want to do. i may mess it up worse if i try it my self lol

buster-717
07-12-2013, 09:20 PM
my local dealer was able to pull some strings and they replaced it for free.it was a 04