PDA

View Full Version : 350x bad cam

averysdad
06-29-2013, 07:38 PM
What will happen if i ride a 350x with bad cam journals the guy tells me that you can hear it grinding. What if I just keep riding it like like that until find a head and cam. Will it hurt the bottom end or cyl or just mess the head up more ????? Guy wants 700 for it

Thunder God
06-29-2013, 08:02 PM
First check to see if he put the oil filter backwards, very common reason for the top end to meltdown. And Yes, if you continue to run it you will only do more damage to all parts, especially the oil pump.

averysdad
06-29-2013, 08:12 PM
Well idk if I'm going to buy it if I can't ride it until its fixed but I really want one lol I mean I should replace the oil pump any way when I do the head what else's will it hurt???

averysdad
06-29-2013, 08:57 PM
Help me out guys

barnett468
06-30-2013, 06:52 AM
What will happen if i ride a 350x with bad cam journals the guy tells me that you can hear it grinding. What if I just keep riding it like like that until find a head and cam. Will it hurt the bottom end or cyl or just mess the head up more ????? Guy wants 700 for it

Well, it's sending metal into your motor lower end and all the bearings there and splashing it up on the cylinder wall so the piston and cyl might get nicely ground away.

averysdad
06-30-2013, 09:46 AM
Thanks Barnett that makes a lot of since now. no telling how long this guys been riding it with the bad head the bottom end may be full of metal what should I look for. Going to look at this bike 12:00 today every one

barnett468
06-30-2013, 10:19 AM
Hello

Thanks Barnett that makes a lot of since now. no telling how long this guys been riding it with the bad head the bottom end may be full of metal what should I look for. Going to look at this bike 12:00 today every one

Well one thing you can do is take an expandable magnet, stick it in the oil hole after riding and see if it has metal on it. Only steel will stick. If it pulls some out you can show it to him and possibly get the price reduced or maybe you'll just get kicked out, lol.

Ride it hard, you can't hurt it more than he has and look for the following:

clutch slipping,

shifts smoothly with no popping out of gear under hard acceleration etc.

Look for lite gray exhaust smoke. That means burning oil.

Check brakes and make sure they don't "drag".

plan on expensive total rebuild. If it's less you lucked out.

averysdad
06-30-2013, 11:29 AM
Thanks for helping me out barnett wish more people would chime in.I have a 200x that needs a total rebuild but it will be alot cheaper I think maybe ill just stick with the 200x I can ride it the thing just leaks oil and smokes needs brakes and plastics. I'm going to go look at this 350x any way may get excited and buy it. What would you guys do keep the 200 or get the 350 ? I don't have lots of money or free time. Every one talks bad about the 200x kicker gears and says get a 350x but they don't say much about the heads going bad all the time on the 350x. I can't find a 2 stroke at a good price plus I like to ride around slow with my son at times some say you can ride 250rs slow some say you can't

Howdy
06-30-2013, 12:15 PM
A good running 200x is an all around good bike. You can do a lot of upgrades to get more power out of the motor. Yes the weakest part is the kicker gears just as the 350x's weakest part is the frame ( 85's ) and the heads. Every machine has a weak spot, and almost every machine has it's good points.

I personally wouldn't run a 350x with a bad head. The possibility of doing more damage to parts that are getting harder to find in good condition scares me.

Howdy

averysdad
06-30-2013, 05:22 PM
Thanks I didn't even go look at the 350x to big of a risk if it needs a full rebuild. I'm just going to rebuild my 200x whene I get the time money and the nurve up to split the case till then ill let it smoke and leak oil

cepdave
07-02-2013, 08:36 AM
Any chance this bike is in the northeast? I have a spare motor and would love to get my hands on a cheap roller to build. :p