PDA

View Full Version : My 1982 200E Big Red

SUPERTEX
06-30-2013, 06:43 PM
Just finished putting my FREE Honda ATC 200E Big Red back togeather after getting it about a month ago!!!!

Got it for free just about in pieces wish i had took a few pictures but its been raining alot and just had it under a tarp untill i had all the parts in.

Got a bunch of nuts,bolts,fender washers,rubber grommets,exhaust gaskets,oil screen & oil,plug, and air filter from the Honda dealer here in town
Got a few parts from a friend who has about 15 Honda three wheelers laying around and a plastic tank sense my tank leaked gas
Ordered a new China made Carb, direct bolt on and it works very well!!

New lithium Ion battery and it was electric starting, got all the parts but 1 bolt still waiting to come in from Honda's japan warehouse, but thats about it

Put a tail light bulb in and now all the lights work too!!!

!00% functional and running good just let me know what you think??

Thanks all!!!172333172332172331172330

kb0nly
07-01-2013, 12:20 AM
Looking good!!!

What type of battery did you put in? Lithium? I didn't know they made a Lithium ATV/Motorcyle battery, i wanna hear more about this!

Ghostv2
07-01-2013, 12:41 AM
Cant beat free. Looks like a good rider, hope you enjoy it. I know i would. :)

ScreaminRed
07-01-2013, 12:19 PM
Have fun! Those things are workhorses! :)

TxPowderCoater
07-01-2013, 12:57 PM
great! price is right and you have the satisfaction of knowing you built it. good on you!

SUPERTEX
07-01-2013, 09:40 PM
The battery is a Shorai, kinda high on price but it can be left anywhere almost has a really long shelf life wont go dead if just left sitting, the website said a 30min start up a month should keep it fully charged and working for like 5 years

http://www.shoraipower.com/ This is the website check it out!!!

And tons of extra power now such power in a small package!!! LOL

slap
07-02-2013, 08:54 PM
nice Im picking one up this week

barnett468
07-02-2013, 09:33 PM
Hello SUPERTEX

The battery is a Shorai, kinda high on price but it can be left anywhere almost has a really long shelf life wont go dead if just left sitting, the website said a 30min start up a month should keep it fully charged and working for like 5 years

http://www.shoraipower.com/ This is the website check it out!!!

And tons of extra power now such power in a small package!!! LOL

The Shorai’s are made in China. I would check their warranty policy and then find out how long it might take to get a replacement if need be. Since they are not readily available on every street corner like Interstate is, it might take a while. If it needs to be shipped for warranty I would find out if they are going to pay for shipping both ways also. Check out the Antigravity site below and compare.

BATTERY FORUM SHORAI DISCUSSION

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=15891901

ANTIGRAVITY LIGHT WEIGHT BATTERIES

http://antigravitybatteries.com/

SUPERTEX
07-03-2013, 12:11 AM
in the atv racing scene here in florida there pritty popular, my dad raced 250r's in the 80's and hes still pro racing a 450r today he runs them and most of the pro guys have them too set up on 24volt systems, they really are nice batterys and he just baught a spare of there site and it was at our door in like 3 days, but he has one he left outside in the rain and sun for 3 weeks after it had been ran dead a year before that, i got it charged it up for a full day and put it in my trike and its running just fine

They seem to be alright batterys barnett but like i said a bit high on the dollar, and yes i know there from china but so is tne carb breathing life into my 200e, dont knock it till you try it lol

barnett468
07-03-2013, 07:14 AM
Hello

If you re-read my post you will see there was no specific “knocking” of the battery. Some people simply won’t buy any part made in China and it is often hard to tell the country of origin on overseas parts simply because they often try to use American sounding names for their product and for some odd reason they conspicuously refrain from boldly proclaiming the item in question is “Made in China” etc by stamping it in large print on the box like US mfg’s seem to do with everything they make, lol.

Since I have no idea how much you knew about the batteries I was simply trying to be helpful and offer another option for you to investigate before buying one.

Yes the $25.00 carbs do work fine and are a killer deal however that is an easy part to make and your personal experience with the Chinese battery has also been good. Not everything from there is bad but that being said, the last time I looked I don’t remember them being the worlds leader in the manufacturing of quality parts and since they STILL can’t make a rocket go much farther than 50 miles…

Just sayin.

PS

Ok, you can make me look like a dummy here but what exactly do you guys use them for? Obviously one can power some nice bright halogen lights with them and if I lived on Florida that's exactly what I'd do if I was crazy enough to go night riding. Been there once and yup you guys have gators, runnin wild in the streets along with those crabs and things. I was afraid to get out of my car, lol. It's just about the only state where there's no point in filing a missing persons report in because if someones missing there, ya ain't gonna find em, lol.

barnett468
07-03-2013, 08:29 AM
Hello SUPERTEX

I forgot to include the link below in my previous post.

ROCKET BUILT FROM CHINESE PARTS EXPLODES

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n3/148150-china-made-rocket-explodes-during-launch-in-russia/

Big G
07-03-2013, 11:32 AM
No rips in seat, no cracks in plastic, good rubber = looks like a clean, straight trike! Good work Supertex.

SUPERTEX
07-03-2013, 10:08 PM
LOL barnett funny stuff, and im sorry if i came across as angry iv just been so amazed by these battery's i had to explain it out, i really do appreciate your info and input, as for what i do with the battery lol i run a front and back light on a 200e for now but i might be upgrading to halogen bulbs soon and the most important thing is the battery was my dads old one after he baught a new one getting rdy for his next race season and it was totally FREE too!!

I do understand that china is not the answer for anything really but sometimes they get it right thos damn carbs just work and work well, i mean much better then the factory ones iv tried rebuilding

And one more thing i live right on the edge of the everglades witch is the largest swamp basically in the US and its not uncommon to run a gator over or have one in your back yard from time to time. Real stuff ha ha ha

SUPERTEX
07-03-2013, 10:10 PM
Big G I thought the same thing when i saw it i knew it was a pile of parts when i got it but it was free and i saw all the good stuff like the plastics and such, the original gas tank is also in very nice shape but i guess it sat for a long time with fuel in it because it has a few pin hole leaks on the very bottom of it so i had to install a plastic tank witch does not look to bad to me!

SUPERTEX
07-06-2013, 10:29 PM
Just took the 200E for its first big ride today about a hour or so i let my wife drive my 85 250ES and i drove the 82 200E looked nice having 2 Big Reds ride around the neighborhood lol, anyways after riding it for a bit i stoped and tightened the clutch cable and set it right and it is shifting and releasing perfect now, im glad because i was thinking it might be mest up a bit, it was good for the old machine scene it had been sitting for sometime.

On another note my wifes first time on a three wheeler of any kind did great shes hooked now i think iv lost my Cadillac the 85 250es Big Red there just such nice machines and are so easy to learn on, very forgiving.

kb0nly
07-07-2013, 01:55 AM
I will have to check out those Shorai batteries, expensive yes, but if they last longer than these damn flooded cell ATV batteries its worth it. I get a year maybe two out of a $50 battery, so it might be time to spend more. I have tried the sealed AGM batteries, i get about the same time out of them as well. The winter is rough on them.

SUPERTEX
07-07-2013, 01:06 PM
Im not too sure i was reading up on all the weather conditions when we first started buying them but i think i saw that they handle the cold very well also, not a real big problem in South Florida tho it might get in the 40's or 50's once a year or less

200bigredrebel
07-08-2013, 01:56 AM
looks like an awsome trike. congrats on the new ride. :)

kb0nly
07-08-2013, 02:28 AM
My trike can see -40 so cold is definitely a factor. She did alright this past winter though I did have to pull start it with a low battery many times. Started keeping it plugged into a maintainer that helped some. These cheap batteries just lack on cranking amps.

barnett468
07-08-2013, 11:01 AM
Hello SUPERTEX

LOL barnett funny stuff,

Isn’t that rocket story just “bleepin” hilarious. If your Chinese CDI melts down at least you’re on the ground.

and im sorry if i came across as angry iv just been so amazed by these battery's i had to explain it out,

It did seem a little bit that way to me, apology accepted, no worries. Unfortunately you may occasionally see some members bashing another for absolutely no reason here. Fortunately it's just a small handful that have nothing better to do or constructive to say.

i really do appreciate your info and input,

Thanks for the kind words.

the most important thing is the battery was my dads old one after he baught a new one getting rdy for his next race season and it was totally FREE too!!

Well the fact it still works is obviously a testament to the Chinese made thing and free is hard to beat. Too bad the parts on the rocket weren’t built to the same standards, lol.

I do understand that china is not the answer for anything really but sometimes they get it right thos damn carbs just work and work well, i mean much better then the factory ones iv tried rebuilding

Ok so here’s our list if good Chinese products so far:

Batteries
Carbs
CDI’s?
Fortune cookies.

That’s a start

Bad things:

Rocket parts, lol

And one more thing i live right on the edge of the everglades witch is the largest swamp basically in the US and its not uncommon to run a gator over or have one in your back yard from time to time. Real stuff ha ha ha

Oh yeah, I’ve been there, saw that, that’s why I said that, it’s nuts there!

SUPERTEX
07-08-2013, 04:42 PM
LOL the parts list from china is awsome funny.

The only thing i cant seem to work on my 200e carb is the choke unless its just that way cuz fully choked its still really hard to get it to start cold, after iv had it running for a few mins the electric start will start it no problem, cold it will just run the battery dead before it cranks is there something im missing with these cold starts because even pull starting it is hard and im not talking about the compression, maybe i need to adjust the timing?

Any help on this cold start problem would be nice thanks!

barnett468
07-08-2013, 05:06 PM
Hello SUPERTEX

Once warm does it burble upon acceleration just above idle?

Will it start at all with no choke?

How long must it remain partially choked before it idles?

How cold is the air when starting eng cold?

What color is plug ground strap, porcelain and end of threads?

Do test below first

Put some gas in clear glass, if it is apple juice color or darker it is bad and will cause your plug to look like that.

GAS LEVEL TEST – If your gas level is low in the float bowl then your carb will be lean. Install clear plastic tube on bowl drain, hold open end of tube level with top of carb and open bowl drain valve. The gas will flow into the tube. It should be from level to 3/16" below the bottom of the carb body where it meets the bowl. If it is incorrect then adjust float accordingly.

If level is good it's probably lean on pilot and nedfs around 2 sizes bigger.

SUPERTEX
07-08-2013, 05:34 PM
Hello and thx Barnett here are a few i know off the bat

Once warm does it burble upon acceleration just above idle? No once warm it runs just fine.

Will it start at all with no choke? Choke doesn't seem to work at all or in some cases not allow it to fire over, and yes it does start with no choke but after some time of pull starting combined with the electric start.

How long must it remain partially choked before it idles? It doesn't seem like the choke works and i do have it hooked up right, i just hold down the throttle for a min or 2 and after the engines warm it will idle.

How cold is the air when starting eng cold? The air i haven't tested, but its summer in Florida and its pretty hot during the day.

And for the gas test ill do it but its brandnew rec gas with no ethanol in it, and i just washed the tank new fuel line and new carb.

barnett468
07-08-2013, 05:49 PM
Hello

Ok should check plug but sounds very lean for start but close for running. If it was me I'd probably remove choke and make sure it is clean then if so try 2 sizes larger pilot. One will do nothing and 3 might make it burble when riding. I think you can actually drill the fuel hole in the choke 1 size larger on this carb and fix the prob. This way it's rich with choke for starting but pilot remains same so it won't burble during riding. I'll find out. Flyingw or txpowdercoat might know.

SUPERTEX
07-08-2013, 06:00 PM
Alright thanks and also i didn't say but i put the plug in last weekend too but it could look like anything now, a new plug doesn't mean much of anything.

And by pilot what do you mean, i haven't token the new carb apart yet so i don't really know on drilling the choke out but i will be looking into that, so what im getting is i can maybe leave the pilot alone and just drill out the choke a bit for it to work on a cold start and the pilot that came with the carb will run the machine just fine after that.

On my 250es carb drilling would be easy the whole assembly comes out the side but on my 200e its just a lever with a cable hooked to it you can either pull it up manually or attach a choke cable to it, it looks like all the choke stuff is inside the carb.

barnett468
07-08-2013, 06:10 PM
pilot jet - small brass jet inside float bowl

drill choke - i'll find out asap.

if choke can be drilled pilot can remain the same.

barnett468
07-08-2013, 06:21 PM
Ok had them mixed up. Yours can not be drilled it is connected to a plate in the carb bore. Do you know if this plate is still there and flat, not bent open when choke is closed.

If plate is good you will need to go up on pilot which makes no sense on a stock bike at 85 degrees. Maybe your pilot was previously changed to smaller jet.

SUPERTEX
07-08-2013, 06:23 PM
Ok thanks again Barnett for any info its very help full, i hope it can that will make things easy as hell!!

SUPERTEX
07-08-2013, 06:27 PM
Well damn no this is a new carb i bought it came out of a box and onto the trike, the only thing iv done to it is adjust the idle screw a few turns

barnett468
07-08-2013, 06:34 PM
Well damn no this is a new carb i bought it came out of a box and onto the trike, the only thing iv done to it is adjust the idle screw a few turns

Well does this mean it does or does not have a butterfly?

Is this a new orig carb, that would be very pricey?

barnett468
07-08-2013, 06:36 PM
I think you saw one post then the other, lol

If it's chinese they might have forgotten it, lol

barnett468
07-08-2013, 06:40 PM
It's also possible if it's chinese that it simply isn't closing the butterfly enough because it is out of adjustment somehow. If it has a hole or spring loaded door in it, it should probably fully closed if not it should only close little more than 3/4.

SUPERTEX
07-08-2013, 06:42 PM
LOL i dont know if they have forgotten anything and i did see one post then the other, i guess i could crack the brand new carb open and take a look at the choke assembly, what can i do for the choke, i was really hoping to fix the choke so i can cold start it easy but without messing with damn carburetors lol they are a pain in my ass.

If i do have to mess with the jets or pilots where do i get replacements for it i still have my factory carb but the trike had sat for several years and it was bad off.

Here is the carb that i bought for the 82 200e http://www.ebay.com/itm/270920908010?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Please help me with this and thanks again!!!!!

barnett468
07-08-2013, 07:27 PM
Hello SUPERTEX

OK a couple things to do. It's easy, easy , easy!

1. GAS LEVEL TEST – If your gas level is low in the float bowl then your carb will be lean. Install clear plastic tube on bowl drain, hold open end of tube level with top of carb and open bowl drain valve. The gas will flow into the tube. It should be from level to 3/16" below the bottom of the carb body where it meets the bowl. If it is incorrect then adjust float accordingly.

2. With bike warm set idle slightly low, then at idle turn fuel mix screw on left side 1 turn in then 1 turn out in 1/2 turn increments letting it sit 30 seconds to stabilize after each 1/2 turn. If idle increases noticeably in either direction leave it at best setting, readjust idle screw on rt side of carb to desired idle and tell us what happened.

3. Remove carb and adjust choke as mentioned in my post above by bending the little metal tab that the plastic handle pushes on providing it does not close as much as my adjustment recommends. Let us know how far it closed originally.

4. Remove float bowl and get tiny number off of tiny brass jet, not the one in the very center.

5. Reassemble and try full choke when eng is cold and ride and report back.

If it starts better but burbles off idle we will drop the needle 2 positions by raising the clip

You will probably still need 1 or 2 larger pilot.

barnett468
07-08-2013, 07:30 PM
jetsrus.com or local honda shop maybe.

SUPERTEX
07-08-2013, 08:19 PM
Ok thanks for all the info Barnett, i will do as you say prob next weekend or if i have a day of this week, but also on another note i never messed with the needle adjustments in my carb it didnt even look like you could i need to take it back down and take a good long look at it, i just was go go go with it, my 250es was bolt up and go no problem so i decided to just do the same thing.

barnett468
07-08-2013, 08:39 PM
For future reference

NEEDLE

Remove slide

remove cable

remove either big clip or screw holding plate down

turn slide upside down and wiggle needle out

lay needle on table with open end facing down

put finger on clip or it will fly

push on needle and clip will come off

reposition and reverse process

Don't scratch table, lol.

SUPERTEX
07-08-2013, 10:51 PM
LOL ok thanks

KFWA
07-09-2013, 12:46 PM
hello, I'm new to the forum and just purchased an 84 200ES Big Red. I have already restored a 200x and an ATC 125m, plus I have a number of other quads of various makes and models.

However this one has me stumped. I can handle the mechanics, but the electrics are a pain to me. I hate looking at electric schematics in the back of a Clymer magazine - I'm a visual guy moreso than any other way.

Anyways, this 200ES is in much worse shape than I thought when I bought it. The wiring has been rigged on it where the iginition is on without the key and a replacement starter button has been added to replace the existing one. The solenoid on has 1 wire going to it. I connected a battery charger to it the battery in "jump" mode in an attempt to start it and the fist thing I noticed is the lights came on with no option to turn them off. I attempted to start it by pushing the button and all it did was dim the headlight a bit. Of course the pull starter is just a cover. Its odd to me that people just gut those pull starters - this is the 3rd ATC I've bought with the pull start internal mechanics missing.

So I've purchased a replacement wiring harness, ignition with key and light/starter switch and I was hoping someone could point me to a dummies guide on how to redo all this from scratch without having to read a schematic in the back of a service manual.

I'd really like to do my best to restore this 3 wheeler back to original - or as close as possible.

Also as noted, after working on the 200X , my XL 200 dirt bike, and now initially starting this one, and also working on my '85 TRX 250, I can appreciate the replacement cost comparison between the 200 CC honda engines and the 250's of that era. The carbs prices in particular with the abundance of cheap aftermarket carbs for the 200 really make me appreciate the 200cc honda's I have opposed to the 250cc.

now that I think about it - I can probably just use the 250 TRX as a guide for wiring and base it on the 200ES as they probably have the same setup.

SUPERTEX
07-09-2013, 11:01 PM
Hello KFWA the wiring on the old 200's isn't that complicated if you go piece by piece and good luck on that, but if you make a whole new post you will get alot more reply's, due to the fact that this thread is getting old and were just about figured all my stuff out so not many people will be looking here for your question.

deuce228
07-16-2013, 10:13 PM
Nice looking machine!

tripledog
07-16-2013, 11:02 PM
I'll give you twice what you paid for it, LOL. Nice score; the 200es is an awesome ride!