PDA

View Full Version : Old Three Wheeler Racing

xxjessepxx
07-01-2013, 09:10 AM
So back in the day when these things were legal, what classes were they raced on? Like how today in two wheel motocross there's 250's and 450's.(RIP 2-Strokes) Also, what machines were raced? I know the ATC 250R, the Tecate, and the Tri Z, but what else was raced? Like the conversions or the one off machines.

Please add pics if you have any because I would like to see them and a picture is worth a thousand words.

barnett468
07-01-2013, 11:02 AM
Hello xxjessepxx

When I raced in 84,85,86 I lived in So Cal and was aware of only 2 cc classes which were 0-200 and 0-250. They had novice, intermediate and expert/pro.

The tracks for 3 wheelers in So Cal were always smooth by my standards and consisted of short track [flat oval] and TT type tracks [people today call them MX tracks, lol]which started smooth with a few turns a couple jumps and occasionally some elevation changes. They did not race them on MX tracks like Saddleback or Carlsbad due to liability and rider sniveling reasons etc, lol. The 4 wheelers were occasionally run on Carlsbad MX track, it was a nasty, rough, hard packed track.

There Were only Tecate’s and Honda’s in my 3 wheel races or the ones I saw. I rode a Tecate and a Suzuki Quad in the pro class.

Ghostv2
07-01-2013, 01:49 PM
So back in the day when these things were legal

They are still legal to ride, produce, sell, and own. Just saying. :D

Outlaw #24
07-01-2013, 02:57 PM
What barnett468 said ! Today In here in Iowa it is called the Outlaw 3 wheeler class. At Trifke Fest there was about 5 or 6 different clases. But it is all for fun and it's all about, US AND OUR 3 WHEELERS, Ashtabula is at the end of this Month and they Have an open class and 200cc-350cc class and there is scuttlebut that they might run a 200cc class if there are enough riders to sign up! But anymore there are usually only 1 class at most race venues! Hope that helped xxjessepxx?

atctim
07-01-2013, 04:13 PM
They are still legal to ride, produce, sell, and own. Just saying. :D

Not legal to produce anymore, not since the CPSIA of 2008. Thanks the gov't for that one.

‘‘(c) REQUIREMENTS FOR 3-WHEELED ALL-TERRAIN VEHICLES.—
Until a mandatory consumer product safety standard applicable
to 3-wheeled all-terrain vehicles promulgated pursuant to this Act
is in effect, new 3-wheeled all-terrain vehicles may not be imported
into or distributed in commerce in the United States. Any violation
of this subsection shall be considered to be a violation of section
19(a)(1) of this Act and may also be enforced under section 17
of this Act.
‘‘

Ghostv2
07-01-2013, 11:13 PM
What about the people building modern day trikes? I know its not going to affect the every day man making conversions but what about people like TPC and all? I know its still only conversions but is it targeting only big companies? How does TPC and others like them get around it?

Big Mike
07-01-2013, 11:43 PM
What about the people building modern day trikes? I know its not going to affect the every day man making conversions but what about people like TPC and all? I know its still only conversions but is it targeting only big companies? How does TPC and others like them get around it?

TPC and the others get around it by removing any Vain numbers and putting a For Competition Only decal on the neck

Joseph Farrow
07-02-2013, 01:37 AM
In general 3 Wheeler racing started gaining ground in and around 1982 and hit it's high point around '86. Most Nationals consisted of a youth class max cc 125 then you had pro and amature classes. The biggest classes were the 200cc class (mostly Honda 200x's) and the 250cc class (mainly Honda 250R's). You did have Kawasaki and Yamaha in the mix but it was mostly an all Honda show. 3 Wheeler racing at its high point was hudge. If the CPSC had not gotten involved it's crazy to think what may have been. All of the Big 4 were starting teams and sponsoring riders. My brother and I raced the Nationals several years both on ATC and Quads. I loved the ATC's the best only swiching to Quads because I had no other choice.

The last year the AMA/AATVA recognized the Three Wheeler Classes was 1988. I made the choice to run the Nationals on my Three Wheeler that final year just so I could say I stuck with them until the end. I could have very easily switched to Quads a lot earlier. Looking back I know I made the right decission.

This picture is at the Final race of the GNC Series at Loretta Lynns 1988.

Ghostv2
07-02-2013, 02:53 AM
Haha, i like that one.
"Three-wheelin's still a good feelin'."

xxjessepxx
07-02-2013, 11:49 PM
Thanks everyone for the information so far.

I still want to know:

In the atv nationals, like pro racers, what classes did they have to race in?

Thanks

Poco Loco
07-03-2013, 12:01 AM
Hey Joeseph,was your bros name Judsen?

Joseph Farrow
07-03-2013, 03:10 PM
In the early years you had 125/200/250/Open in the pro class. Later on you only had IIRC 200/250. (Pre Quads)

Hey POCO LOCO my brothers name is Judson. :cool:

shortline10
07-03-2013, 03:14 PM
Their was a pee wee class down here as well for the atc70s and tri-zingers .

In the early years you had 125/200/250/Open in the pro class. Later on you only had IIRC 200/250. (Pre Quads)

Hey POCO LOCO my brothers name is Judson. :cool:

Poco Loco
07-03-2013, 03:42 PM

Hey POCO LOCO my brothers name is Judson. :cool:I remember you guys back in the day. I would read about you guys and your racing. I kinda feel like I already know ya. Ha. Good to see your still active in the sport. It will keep you young. Im turning back the clock. Getting back into racing. Im lovin it.

Your avatar pic. Danny's machine. Was that the Danny Duncan from santee ca.?

barnett468
07-03-2013, 05:31 PM
Hello xxjessepxx

Sorry, I still only know of the 2 classes I mentioned in the ATV Nationals in So Cal. They might have included a 0-125 class in other states in addition to the ones Shortline and Joseph referred to. They never had an open class anywhere.

Just curious, why are you so interested in the PRO National class only?

Hello Joseph, your last name sounds familiar, did you or your brother ever race the following in So Cal?

San Diego indoor night race during monster truck event.

Carslbad 3 wheeler or quad?

Ascot night race quad.

Corona 3 wheeler night race.

Saddleback short track or TT.

Perris annual GP.

Angel [Anaheim] Stadium night race during AMA PRO MX intermission.

LA Coliseum day race 3 wheeler only.

Do you know or ever meet Jimmie White, Chris White or Donnie Luce or Gary Denton?

barnett468
07-03-2013, 06:02 PM
OOPS, forgot one, Mickey Thompsons Off Road Championship in Pomona?

manbearpig
07-03-2013, 07:06 PM
Danny's machine. Was that the Danny Duncan from santee ca.?

yes, one in the same. i have an atc70 built by danny's machine (AKA Danny Duncan, AKA Duncan Racing)

Joseph Farrow
07-03-2013, 11:44 PM
I remember you guys back in the day. I would read about you guys and your racing. I kinda feel like I already know ya. Ha. Good to see your still active in the sport. It will keep you young. Im turning back the clock. Getting back into racing. Im lovin it.

Your avatar pic. Danny's machine. Was that the Danny Duncan from santee ca.?

ATV racing was a big part of my life for a lot of years. I got out of the sport but I have always kept up with what was happening even if just passing by a new stand and picking up a Dirt Wheel or 3 & 4 Wheel Action and looking thru the pages. My brother and I were talking about some of our old race bikes, in particular our old 3 wheelers and that is what lead me to 3WW. All of our leads on our old bikes went cold so were wanting to build some early 80's 90/110 Racers. A lot of knowledge and info here on 3WW.

The picture in my avatar is from the High Point National at Mt. Morris Pa. The bike is Danny's Machine Works personal 200x race bike. Danny built our 180 110's when we first got into racing in the early 80's. When Lauren took over Danny's Machine Works and changed the direction and name of the business to Duncan Racing, Lauren started coming to the nationals and we began to talk. Judson and I were both running 200x's at the time and expressed interest in Danny building us a 200x. Lauren was more focusing on two strokes with the new Duncan Racing. He told us about their 200x so Judson and I bought it. The only thing we changed on the bike was we added 350x front forks.

Joseph Farrow
07-04-2013, 12:27 AM
Hello xxjessepxx

Sorry, I still only know of the 2 classes I mentioned in the ATV Nationals in So Cal. They might have included a 0-125 class in other states in addition to the ones Shortline and Joseph referred to. They never had an open class anywhere.

Hello Joseph, your last name sounds familiar, did you or your brother ever race the following in So Cal?

San Diego indoor night race during monster truck event.

Carslbad 3 wheeler or quad?

Ascot night race quad.

Corona 3 wheeler night race.

Saddleback short track or TT.

Perris annual GP.

Angel [Anaheim] Stadium night race during AMA PRO MX intermission.

LA Coliseum day race 3 wheeler only.

Do you know or ever meet Jimmie White, Chris White or Donnie Luce or Gary Denton?

Hey barnett468 I dont think I ever officially raced 3 wheelers in California but I know I race Quads. I was out there in '83 and we went to Ventura to the Ventura County Fairgrounds. Pretty cool local TT/Flat track race. We also went to the 1983 Off Road Championships at the Santa Cruz Fairgrounds. Meet all the Old School Super Stars. Dean Sundahl was the man at that time. He was my hero. "King Dean" Team Honda was there in a major way. Dean, Marty, Wax, Steve Wright, Mike Coe, Tom Gain, and Curtis. If I am not mistaken, I think it was Jimmie's first major race on the Kawasaki. He ended up finishing 3rd in the 250 class behind Mike Coe and Dean Sundahl.

Gary Denton was made for a Quad. He was the king of the Hole Shot. In '91 my brother and I were part of a 10 man US team that went to Tokyo Japan for the US Off-Road Grand Prix in the Tokyo Egg Dome. All of the Super Cross guys went, RJ, Jeff Stanton, Damon Bradshaw, Jeff Word....
The US guys competed against the Japanese guys. Pretty cool concept. The US team consisted of Gary Denton, John Scott, Doug Gust, Charlie Shepherd, Barry McCarty, Chad Clemen, Donny Banks, John Lukos and us. Curtis was building our bikes at the time and he was able to come over as our mechanic.

Definitely enjoyed every second of my ATV days. Got to travel and meet a lot of really nice people and made friends for a lifetime.

Poco Loco
07-04-2013, 08:33 AM
Yes I remember Danny. He worked out of that converted house on Prospect Ave. in Santee ca. I would bring him projects that I couldnt handle. I was very young then so there were many trips to that ol house. I figured Id ask because I thought there might be another shop with that name somewhere else in the U.S. Loren and Lenny were little chimps then. Many years later I got a few chances to line up at the gate with lenny. I never saw loren on the track. He was the brains of the two, I dont think he raced. At least not to my knowledge.

Are you and your brother doing any racing anymore?
ATV racing was a big part of my life for a lot of years. I got out of the sport but I have always kept up with what was happening even if just passing by a new stand and picking up a Dirt Wheel or 3 & 4 Wheel Action and looking thru the pages. My brother and I were talking about some of our old race bikes, in particular our old 3 wheelers and that is what lead me to 3WW. All of our leads on our old bikes went cold so were wanting to build some early 80's 90/110 Racers. A lot of knowledge and info here on 3WW.

The picture in my avatar is from the High Point National at Mt. Morris Pa. The bike is Danny's Machine Works personal 200x race bike. Danny built our 180 110's when we first got into racing in the early 80's. When Lauren took over Danny's Machine Works and changed the direction and name of the business to Duncan Racing, Lauren started coming to the nationals and we began to talk. Judson and I were both running 200x's at the time and expressed interest in Danny building us a 200x. Lauren was more focusing on two strokes with the new Duncan Racing. He told us about their 200x so Judson and I bought it. The only thing we changed on the bike was we added 350x front forks.

barnett468
07-04-2013, 11:53 AM
Hello

Hey barnett468 I dont think I ever officially raced 3 wheelers in California but I know I race Quads. I was out there in '83 and we went to Ventura to the Ventura County Fairgrounds. Pretty cool local TT/Flat track race. We also went to the 1983 Off Road Championships at the Santa Cruz Fairgrounds. Meet all the Old School Super Stars. Dean Sundahl was the man at that time. He was my hero. "King Dean" Team Honda was there in a major way. Dean, Marty, Wax, Steve Wright, Mike Coe, Tom Gain, and Curtis. If I am not mistaken, I think it was Jimmie's first major race on the Kawasaki. He ended up finishing 3rd in the 250 class behind Mike Coe and Dean Sundahl.

Gary Denton was made for a Quad. He was the king of the Hole Shot. In '91 my brother and I were part of a 10 man US team that went to Tokyo Japan for the US Off-Road Grand Prix in the Tokyo Egg Dome. All of the Super Cross guys went, RJ, Jeff Stanton, Damon Bradshaw, Jeff Word....
The US guys competed against the Japanese guys. Pretty cool concept. The US team consisted of Gary Denton, John Scott, Doug Gust, Charlie Shepherd, Barry McCarty, Chad Clemen, Donny Banks, John Lukos and us. Curtis was building our bikes at the time and he was able to come over as our mechanic.

Definitely enjoyed every second of my ATV days. Got to travel and meet a lot of really nice people and made friends for a lifetime.

Thanks for the reply.

VENTURA – Yeah, I raced a Tecate once there in 84 at night. I liked it there.

DEAN SUNDAHL – I as well as all the other Kawi guys had great respect for him as a rider. Kinda like the Marty Smith of 3 wheelers.

GARY DENTON – Don’t know if you know this but he was a local pro MX rider in So Cal in the mid 70’s. He rode for DG and rode the Nationals. Saw him often at Saddleback and Carlsbad on his bike. Raced him in the pro bike class and later in the quad class. He only weighed around 140 lbs, lol.

RICK JOHNSON – I saw him race before he was first signed, I told Kawi to hire him, they said "we don't need him we have Jeff", I said, "yeah but the last time I remember Jeff couldn't ride 3 AMA classes in the same day", morons.

JIMMIE WHITE – He started at Honda but they weren’t enamored with him and he said they gave him little, plus he said he hated it there. He said it was run like prison camp or something and when Kawai asked him to ride he jumped at the chance. Too bad for Honda. Once he was at Kawi he was shocked by the laid back atmosphere. There was basically 0 pressure to win. The race mgr figured, you guys are adults, you’re gonna ride as fast as you want and NOTHING we say will make you go any faster, lol. Pretty simple philosophy. It was the same in the MX dept.

JEFF WARD – Super nice guy, first watched him when he was still riding XR’s. When he got his first full size bike his dad would have to hold it up until he left the starting line because he couldn’t reach the ground. It was hilarious unless you were racing against him, then it was just plain embarrassing, lol. His dad owned a finance company and mysteriously got everyone that applied, a new home loan, including me, and his sister did everybody's escrows, lol.

JAPAN – That place is bizarre isn’t it? I was sent there to do a simple test on the 86 T3 prototype, I ended up having to redesign around 1/2 of it. Got drunk with the president of the company in the middle of town. We walked with our arms around each other singing in the middle of the streets while going from 1 Karaoke Bar to the next. The people all knew who he was and looked shocked, horrified and scared, lol. It wasn’t exactly dignified or culturally correct for him to do that, especially with a blonde long haired American lol.

Joseph Farrow
07-05-2013, 03:27 PM
Yes I remember Danny. He worked out of that converted house on Prospect Ave. in Santee ca. I would bring him projects that I couldnt handle. I was very young then so there were many trips to that ol house. I figured Id ask because I thought there might be another shop with that name somewhere else in the U.S. Loren and Lenny were little chimps then. Many years later I got a few chances to line up at the gate with lenny. I never saw loren on the track. He was the brains of the two, I dont think he raced. At least not to my knowledge.

Are you and your brother doing any racing anymore?

I have some pictures of thier old shop in Santee. If I ever get my new computer and scanner hooked up I'll post some pic's.
Lauren raced motor cross on bikes in the 70's. IIRC I think Lauren race some in the dunes at Glamas on their 90. I have a pic of him with the bike and some trophys.

As far as us doing any racing now days its like I tell people that know we used to ride that ask the same thing. I always tell them I couldn't ride across the street now if I had to. LOL I wouldn't mind doing a little woods racing (XC). It may be something I get into down the road. My wife wouldn't want to hear it.

The last several years we have been into restoring Muscle Cars. i.e. Chevelles. My first car was a 1968 SS396 Chevelle, been hooked ever since. Just finished restoring a '72Ragtop. Kinda want to take a break from cars for a while and take a stab at putting together a BAPP replica Racer or even a 70-71 US90.

Joseph Farrow
07-05-2013, 05:07 PM
Hello

Thanks for the reply.

VENTURA – Yeah, I raced a Tecate once there in 84 at night. I liked it there.

DEAN SUNDAHL – I as well as all the other Kawi guys had great respect for him as a rider. Kinda like the Marty Smith of 3 wheelers.

GARY DENTON – Don’t know if you know this but he was a local pro MX rider in So Cal in the mid 70’s. He rode for DG and rode the Nationals. Saw him often at Saddleback and Carlsbad on his bike. Raced him in the pro bike class and later in the quad class. He only weighed around 140 lbs, lol.

RICK JOHNSON – I saw him race before he was first signed, I told Kawi to hire him, they said "we don't need him we have Jeff", I said, "yeah but the last time I remember Jeff couldn't ride 3 AMA classes in the same day", morons.

JIMMIE WHITE – He started at Honda but they weren’t enamored with him and he said they gave him little, plus he said he hated it there. He said it was run like prison camp or something and when Kawai asked him to ride he jumped at the chance. Too bad for Honda. Once he was at Kawi he was shocked by the laid back atmosphere. There was basically 0 pressure to win. The race mgr figured, you guys are adults, you’re gonna ride as fast as you want and NOTHING we say will make you go any faster, lol. Pretty simple philosophy. It was the same in the MX dept.

JEFF WARD – Super nice guy, first watched him when he was still riding XR’s. When he got his first full size bike his dad would have to hold it up until he left the starting line because he couldn’t reach the ground. It was hilarious unless you were racing against him, then it was just plain embarrassing, lol. His dad owned a finance company and mysteriously got everyone that applied, a new home loan, including me, and his sister did everybody's escrows, lol.

JAPAN – That place is bizarre isn’t it? I was sent there to do a simple test on the 86 T3 prototype, I ended up having to redesign around 1/2 of it. Got drunk with the president of the company in the middle of town. We walked with our arms around each other singing in the middle of the streets while going from 1 Karaoke Bar to the next. The people all knew who he was and looked shocked, horrified and scared, lol. It wasn’t exactly dignified or culturally correct for him to do that, especially with a blonde long haired American lol.

Barnett468 Just read your entire first tread. Pretty amazing stuff. Sounds like you were in the right place at the right time. It was deffinitely a different world than it is today.
Your insite in the ATV world is priceless. Appreciate the info.

I have a Jeff Ward story for you. My cousin used to race mini bikes and 125 in the early to mid 70's. His name is Gene McKay. Jeff and Gene used to race together all the time. Gene's sister Penny used to date Jeff. LOL

Wendy Oaks MX
Springville, IA Ran from the early 70s to late 80s. hosted a YAMA national in 1974. i saw Gene Mckay on Noguchi yamahas consistantly beat Jeff Ward on his blue xr75s. Tammy Kirk of dalton Ga. was also racing.Had she gone mx instead of dirt track she would have definitely given mercedes gonzales a run for her money. In 1985 wendy oaks held an lorettas amatuer regional here are some the A riders listed. mike larocco, greg bowen, donny schmit, rich halstead along with several from oh, in, wi,mn,mi. Track is pretty much pasture land now.
http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy-ab&q=gene+mckay+motocross&oq=gene+mckay&gs_l=hp.1.1.0l2j0i22i30l2.15031.19187.1.23937.10.9 .0.0.0.0.703.3516.4-4j2j1.7.0....0...1c.1.19.psy-ab.opeVYcBcslY&pbx=1&fp=1&biw=1366&bih=564&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&cad=b

As far as Tokyo you are correct it is definitely a bizarre place........ I too had an experience which consisted of Budwiser and Garth Brooks' "Friends in Low Places"......The best I can remember. All I know is I was up for around three days with no sleep. When the plane touched down in Memphis I didn't even know it. :(

barnett468
07-05-2013, 06:03 PM
Hello xxjesseepxx

Hopefully you get more of the info you are looking for. At least whenever someone posts on your thread it brings it back to the top where someone with more info might see it more easily.

Hope you had a good 4th.

JOSEPH

Barnett468 Just read your entire first tread. Pretty amazing stuff. Sounds like you were in the right place at the right time. It was deffinitely a different world than it is today.

You read it all? Lol, lol, lol. I’ve got off the hook Kawi stories. I also worked at Norm Reeves Honda, Kawi, Bultaco, BSA, back in 75 and 76. I raced 125 and 250 and open, we sponsored Jeff Jennings. The races at Saddleback and Carlsbad in the off season were like a National.

Your insite in the ATV world is priceless. Appreciate the info.

Thanks and so is yours! Not many of us around.

In 1985 wendy oaks held an lorettas amateur

Sorry but you lost me here, what is Wendy Oaks?

They had a Loretta race other than at her ranch?

Team Green borrowed me in 84 or 85 to wrench for their riders at ponca city and loretta’s. Eddie Warren was one of the riders assigned to me along with a couple other super fast kids. Loretta’s was in a “dry” town but her care taker “ole red” moonshined us up real good, lol.

As far as Tokyo you are correct it is definitely a bizarre place........ I too had an experience which consisted of Budwiser and Garth Brooks' "Friends in Low Places"......The best I can remember. All I know is I was up for around three days with no sleep. When the plane touched down in Memphis I didn't even know it. :(

That’s what you get for drinkin Budweiser when they had Asahi and Kirin, lol. I actually met Kent Howerton over there during my stay, he rode for us then. We took the scary Super Train to Kobe and had a huge steak that cut with a fork and melted in your mouth. In true Texan style he said, “it’s ok but they’re still better in Texas. I just laughed at him.

Do you remember the store signs being just 6” over your head? That’s how they were in Kobe, lol.

xxjessepxx
07-06-2013, 10:09 PM

So I would think that the 250 would be two strokes, unless for some reason they would allow someone stupid enough to ride a 250 utility, like a big red,

but would the 200 class be like 200x's, so four strokes, or was it sleeved down 250 2 strokes

and what was raced in the 125 class?

Also, were ppl racing 250r's in the open or some of the custom 500cc trikes?

THANKS for everyting

barnett468
07-06-2013, 10:33 PM
Hello

So I would think that the 250 would be two strokes, unless for some reason they would allow someone stupid enough to ride a 250 utility, like a big red,

ANY 0 - 250

but would the 200 class be like 200x's, so four strokes, or was it sleeved down 250 2 strokes

Any 0 - 200 Lot's of sleeved down 2 strokes.

Also, were ppl racing 250r's in the open or some of the custom 500cc trikes?

There was no open class that I know of.

200 CC PRO NATIONAL RACE 1985

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRg3VeEe4HY

250 CC PRO NATIONAL RACE 1983

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZ0PuvGfSws

You never answered my question. Why do you want to know such exact things, it's ok but very unusual.

xxjessepxx
07-06-2013, 10:48 PM

Sorry i never actually saw this part of your post.

Interested in pro level because any local track could have there own classes that might not be the same as another track.

Local level doesn't have consistency, but the pro level has the same classes at every race.

Cassmanbearcat
07-06-2013, 10:54 PM
this is great reading and learning about the old days for barnett and joseph glad you guys are here to give us such great info....thanks....

barnett468
07-06-2013, 11:31 PM
Hello xxjessepxx

Sorry i never actually saw this part of your post. Interested in pro level because any local track could have there own classes that might not be the same as another track.

The only discrepancy I see is the inclusion of 0 - 125 class in some areas as Joseph and shortline mentioned. Why is that so interesting?

Local level doesn't have consistency,

They absolutely did where I lived for every year I raced.

but the pro level has the same classes at every race.

The two videos I gave you the links to of National races did NOT have a 0 - 125 cc race that I know of.

Poco Loco
07-06-2013, 11:58 PM
Barnnett and Joesph, you guys should dig up some old pics and put them on. Would be nice to to see the old stuff.

barnett468
07-07-2013, 12:11 AM
Hello Poco Loco

Barnnett and Joesph, you guys should dig up some old pics and put them on. Would be nice to to see the old stuff.

Unfortunately, I never took any because I though there would always be another day to do that if I wanted but I bought a couple from the local track photographer but unfortunately lost them. I just wasn't really one for having pictures of that stuff or myself but I love looking at others. The pictures I do have I can't post, lol.

Rlaymon
07-07-2013, 05:11 AM
Barnett468,

They absolutely had an open class back in the days. As a member of Team Green do you remember a guy named Tim Helter? His number was 007 if I remember correctly. He had a Tecate with a KX 500 engine in it. I remember Honda had a few open bikes as well. There were all types of custom 3 wheelers back then with all sizes of engines in them. A friend of mine even raced a little known brand called Tiger who made a 500. I rode it once, boy was it fast but had some scary handling. I think he got rid of it and went back to his Tecates. We had a local builder not to far from me named Chuck Edwards who stuffed a CR 480 engine in a 81/82 ATC 250R frame and raced it. Someone mentioned a guy named Barry McCarty, he was sponsored by Chuck for a few years. Those were the good old days when you could build what you want and race it. Not like today with all these class rules for the squares ha ha

barnett468
07-07-2013, 08:54 AM
Hello Rlaymon

The following info is not intended to contradict you in any way, it along with my previous comments are based upon my experience only, not that of any one else’s.

They absolutely had an open class back in the days.

I’ve made my reply to this. I left Kawi in 88 and have no idea what happened after that. If you personally raced a bike in an over 250 cc class at a National event or saw a National class for them then I wouldn’t dare say you were wrong, it just didn’t happen where I was at as far as I know.

As a member of Team Green

I was only an official member of Team Green twice, once to wrench for the Nationals as mentioned above and the other was to be part of a 3 man Team consisting of Jimmie White, Donnie Luce and myself to race the annual Perris GP in So Cal. It rained like no tomorrow. Honda was there with their usual dancing girls, space heaters, tons of spare parts and a huge pop up. We were there with the Team Green box van, a tiny 12’x12’ pop up and not even a spare spark plug. We rode Jimmies bike. He got the holeshot, I rode second and Donnie rode last. Never saw Honda until after we were all sitting under our pop up again. They did not have mechanical problems. I think they were not mud riders, just a bunch of Nancy's, lol. I am glad the track surface was not hard and dry though.

I was sponsored by Kawi R and D which is a division of Kawi Japan, not Kawi USA, It’s complicated.

do you remember a guy named Tim Helter? His number was 007 if I remember correctly.

I did not know him or know of any association he had with Team Green. These things were none of my concern.

He had a Tecate with a KX 500 engine in it.

This would not have been built or sponsored by Kawi while I was there for the following reasons. All the mfg’s only sponsored production models that were available to the public. There is no point in building and/or sponsoring a bike the public couldn’t buy. I would have seen them build it since we only had one machine shop and I was in it almost every day. They were not capable of building one so they would have had to ask me to do it. Kawasaki would not have given them the funding for it nor allowed it to happen.

How would Kawi benefit from him winning on it and how would they market the win? “Team Kawasaki factory rider Tim Helter destroys the competition on a bike that we don’t make. Hurry down to your local Kawasaki dealer where you can neither see, or buy one, now or ever!” Lol.

I remember Honda had a few open bikes as well. There were all types of custom 3 wheelers back then with all sizes of engines in them.

I personally never even saw or heard of these at the time.

[QUOTE=Rlaymon;1238386]A friend of mine even raced a little known brand called Tiger who made a 500. I rode it once, boy was it fast but had some scary handling.

I can imagine, lol. I actually put an 80 hp 3 cylinder snow mobile engine in a jet ski as an R and D project, lol.

Rlaymon
07-07-2013, 09:47 AM
barnett468,

No disrespect intended but you kind of contradict yourself. The 3 wheeler Nationals ended in '87, so you leaving in '88 really has no bearing on any of this. The open class dates back to the very beginning of it all. Dean, Wax, and Coe all rode open ATC's for Team Honda as far back as '81, as well as many privateers. If Kawasaki had no reason to build a 500 for the reasons you say, then why would they build 200cc machines? They even built a 125 for a young kid named Jackie Meadows. Both Tim and Jackie were on Team Green back in the '80's. Tim got his 500 engine directly from Kawasaki. Rumor was that it was a spare engine from one of Ward's practice bikes. Do you remember a guy named James Degaine?

Poco Loco
07-07-2013, 10:30 AM
Barnett, all that racing history and not 1 pic? WTF? Your kidding me. Somethings fishy here...I never knew a guy who raced and doesnt have a pic of it. Garage pics of you and your trikes, rec riding at the local spot, a shot at the pits with other team members....nothing?

barnett468
07-07-2013, 10:44 AM
Hello Rlaymon

No disrespect intended but, you kinda contridict yourself.

If you think this is the case you simply misunderstand what I said. I never contradict myself.

The 3 wheeler Nationals ended in 87 so you leaving in 88 really has no bearing on any of this. The Open class dates back to the very begining of it all. Dean, Wax, and Coe all rode open ATC's as far back as 81.

I didn’t even know people raced 3 wheelers until after I started at Kawi, I was an MX guy. I was originally hired to do the development of all the Kawasaki off road bikes including the police bikes and all watercraft and new product concepts. My previous comments remain the same.

If Kawasaki had no reason to build a 500 for the reasons you say, why then would they build 200cc machines?

How should I know, I ran ATV R and D not the marketing dept! I suggest you call up Kawi marketing and ask them. That is an excellent question however, to which I have no definitive answer only guesses. Marketing was none of my concern. I never thought about it but it doesn’t make much marketing sense does it? It is possible they were considering building a 200 as a production bike since it would be an easy deal and once people saw it out there and doing well they would rush to buy one once they were available.

They even built a 125 for a young kid named Jackie Meadows.

Never happened in the shop I was in while I was there, it was the only shop Kawi had.

Both Tim and Jackie were on Team Green back in the 80's.

As I mentioned, who rode for team green was none of my concern so I don’t remember anything about them. I was more interested in following MX anyway, lol.

Tim got his 500 engine directly from Kawasaki...rumor was it was a spare engine from one of Ward's practice bikes.

If this is the case it would have had to come from Norm the MX shop mgr. All that stuff was supposed to be destroyed when no longer current, but…, lol. If it came from Norm it would have been free so Kawi/Team Green would not have had to pay for it. We actually used to bet how long it would take for a bike to blow up with the throttle taped wide open when it was destined for the scrap yard, lol. Norm did the honors.

Do you remember a guy named James Degaine?

Haaaah, ha, lol, lol. Obviously. What do you want to know about him? My question for you is, do you know Bruce S. his predecessor, lol. James had an annoying habit of taking my lap times for some reason that is unknown to me and never telling me what they were. He would just stand there and smile and say “don’t worry about it”, it drove me bonkers. Can’t believe he ever left there, he got a job with either a big tire mfg. or their race team in So Cal. Kawi’s pay was pretty low so most ex Kawi guys went to Honda. I guess he finally got smart enough to leave for greener pastures.

Let me know how and what he’s doing if you had recent contact with him. He’s a great guy and deserves the best.

Poco Loco
07-07-2013, 11:21 AM
What no reply at all ??? Dude your profile has nothing at all. Not even a shred of information...Hmmm. At least photoshop something....
Barnett, all that racing history and not 1 pic? WTF? Your kidding me. Somethings fishy here...I never knew a guy who raced and doesnt have a pic of it. Garage pics of you and your trikes, rec riding at the local spot, a shot at the pits with other team members....nothing?

Are you a ghost writer of fiction novels?..........I might have been born in the night, but it wasn't last night.....Im calling bullsht on all of this.

Rlaymon
07-07-2013, 12:40 PM
barnett468,

I am not trying to discredit you or argue with you but, you do contridict yourself with these statements.

This would not have been built or sponsored by Kawi while I was there for the following reasons. All the mfg’s only sponsored production models that were available to the public. There is no point in building and/or sponsoring a bike the public couldn’t buy. I would have seen them build it since we only had one machine shop and I was in it almost every day. They were not capable of building one so they would have had to ask me to do it. Kawasaki would not have given them the funding for it nor allowed it to happen.

How would Kawi benefit from him winning on it and how would they market the win? “Team Kawasaki factory rider Tim Helter destroys the competition on a bike that we don’t make. Hurry down to your local Kawasaki dealer where you can neither see, or buy one, now or ever!” Lol.

I do not understand how you can say they had no reason to build a 500 since Kawi did not produce a production bike but, that is contrary to the fact they made 200 and 125 bikes. They did not have those in production either. You also state
They were not capable of building one so they would have had to ask me to do it. Kawasaki would not have given them the funding for it nor allowed it to happen. You then go on to say
If this is the case it would have had to come from Norm the MX shop mgr. All that stuff was supposed to be destroyed when no longer current, but…, lol. If it came from Norm it would have been free so Kawi/Team Green would not have had to pay for it. So, by this admission you are stating they did build bikes without your help. I asked you about James Degaine because he is the one who built Jackie's 125. This again is contrary to what you said about them not being able to build anything without your help (as quoted above).
Fact of the matter both Honda and Kawasaki built custom 3 wheelers that were not production models which is contrary to your statement
All the mfg’s only sponsored production models that were available to the public. There is no point in building and/or sponsoring a bike the public couldn’t buy. Honda had 125, 200, 350, 480, and 500 two strokes and even had a 500 four stroke. I read on this site were Micky Dunlap was contracted by Honda to build a 250 four stroke. Kawasaki had the 125 that Jackie rode, several 200's and the 500 for Tim.

Yes, I know who Bruce Stjernstrom is. I would also call in to question your comment
Kawi’s pay was pretty low so most ex Kawi guys went to Honda. I can not speak for you or others however, I remember a rumor that Jackie was making over 50,000 back then. Not to shabby for a 14-15 year old kid if you ask me. How you have never heard of him is puzzling to me since he was groomed to be Jimmy's replacement.

I have to agree with poco loco, something is fishy here. It does not add up.

barnett468
07-07-2013, 01:07 PM

Nope, like I said, what ever photos I did have were sadly lost, around 40 years worth of them to be more specific. I am also not a narcissist like others so that's why I didn't have people going around chasing me with a camera.

Poco Loco
07-07-2013, 01:21 PM
No worries. Im sure all your racing friends will post some pics of you working with all your race teams. There should be hundreds of photos out there. you know everybody. They have all the pics.....Throw us a frickin bone here...
Nope, like I said, what ever photos I did have were sadly lost, around 40 years worth of them to be more specific. I am also not a narcissist like others so that's why I didn't have people going around chasing me with a camera.

Mickey Dunlap
07-07-2013, 02:24 PM
If you get on this forum you better have your facts right,or you will get called out:lol:

Kawasaki and most the factories will give out parts or machines for projects,it's a lot cheaper for them to give stuff out and even pay a little to do market research. Kawasaki gave Powroll a 110 to build a 125 class racer for Jackie to race. Kawasaki also gave me everything I needed to build a KLX 200 four stroke to race against the 200x's too. I didn't get very far with that project because I went back to racing the 200x half way into 85'.

barnett468
07-07-2013, 02:28 PM
Rlaymon

You obviously have some agenda for some bizarre reason which doesn’t interest me. You and Poco Loco are turning a fun thread into a piece of “bleep” for no reason IMO. Attempting to attack someones credibility especially when you don't know the person or the first thing about them seems at the very least. rude.

I am not trying to discredit you or argue with you but, you do contridict yourself with these statements.

For the second time I never Contradict myself, you obviously are trying to make something out of nothing as mentioned above. Like any human being I may occasionally make incomplete comments and on rare occasions misremembered ones when they are things that occurred a long time ago but that's about it. If you don't then you must be perfect and/or too young to be forgetting things. I don't fit either of those categories unfortunately.

I do not see how you can say they had no reason to build a 500 since Kawi did not produce a production bike but, that is contrary to the fact they made 200 and 125 bikes. They did not have those in production either.

Do you need someone to read and explain my previous post to you? For the second time, they might have considered building one so gambling on simply buying a few down sleeved cylinders for a market test or whatever wasn't going to break their piggy bank. Also for the second time I was in R and D not marketing.

You also state You then go on to say So, by this admission you are stating they did build bikes without your help. I asked you about James Degaine because he is the one who built Jackie's 125. This again is contrary to what you said about them not being able to build anything without your help (as quoted above).

My comments in my previous post are concise, again, have someone explain them to you if you want. I NEVER said they were incapable of doing ANYTHING at all. Show me where I did, that comment simply doesn't exist. How much skill does it take to bolt on a 200 cc cylinder. I could be wrong [which I’m not] but I believe it would take just a tiny bit more skill to hack up a frame and install a 500 don’t ya think? I also NEVER saw them build a 200 either. They would not have to bring it into the machine shop simply to bolt a 200 cylinder on now would they? Since I had my own job why would I be over at Team Green everyday watching what they were doing? Besides, they had a friend of mine named Harry Klemm to build what they needed.

Fact of the matter both Honda and Kawasaki built custom 3 wheelers that were not production models which is contrary to your statement

No it is not, for the third time now, have someone explain my comments to you since you obviously either misconstrue them or are simply outright trying to twist the facts. Some people here are a bit smarter than that and see what you are trying to do.

I have no idea what Honda did other than apparently screw Mike Coe out of a Championship so they could give it to Marty Hart along with some other things.

Honda had 125, 200, 350, 480, and 500 two strokes and even had a 500 four stroke.

Don’t know, don’t care. Don’t see what that has to do with Kawi.

I read on this site were Micky Dunlap was contracted by Honda to build a 250 four stroke. Kawasaki had the 125 that Jackie rode, several 200's and the 500 for Tim.

Same reply as above.

Yes, I know who Bruce Stjernstrom is.

Interesting, you even spelled his name correctly which is unusual for anyone to do.

I would also call in to question your comment I can not speak for you or others however, I rember a rumor that Jackie was making over 50,000 back then.

Well since you can’t speak for me or others as you admit and Jackie’s pay was a “rumor” as you say then why are you trying to. Jackie was not an employee of Kawasaki. Equating Marty Smith’s, Jeff Wards or Brad Lackeys pay to that of a regular employee like James or myself is simply ridiculous. Do you really think James or I was getting Millions of dollars a year like Jeff was, lol ,lol, lol.

[QUOTE=Rlaymon;1238449]Not to shabby for a 14-15 year old kid if you ask me.

Certainly wouldn’t be if it could be documented.

How you have never heard of him is puzzling to me since he was groomed to be Jimmy's replacement.

I already told you why I don’t remember him but I will tell you again for the second time now. What Team Green did was NONE of my concern. I might of heard his name tossed around but since I was still an MX guy I wouldn’t have given it a second thought and quickly about it. I had more than enough work to focus on.

Only because you are trying to make something out of nothing like others here have tried and failed to do just like you will.

You are starting to sound like someone else I recently ran into elsewhere. That person ended up embarrassing himself horrendously.

barnett468
07-07-2013, 03:07 PM
poco loco

No worries. Im sure all your racing friends will post some pics of you working with all your race teams. There should be hundreds of photos out there.

Really, 100’s of photo’s from my friends taking photos of me, lol, lol. Since I wasn't Jimmie White or Jeff Ward I can't imagine why they would waste the film, lol. Even if there were, I don’t know where any of those people would be 25 years later. Unlike some, I continued on with life and didn’t remain stuck in the past.

No worrie you know everybody.

I do, really? I never knew that. I obviously don’t know Jackie Meadows or Tim Helter even though I know of them now, perhaps you are mistaken about who I know, what do ya think?

They have all the pics.

Do they, really? It’s amazing how much you know about my friends, please tell me more!

Throw us a frickin bone here...

Why, lol?

PS - I have a pretty good idea who put you up to this, lol. Ya know, some people choose to be nice and make friends, others don't. Your choice seems clear.

Rlaymon
07-07-2013, 03:35 PM
barnett468,

There is no agenda other then to come here and read about 3 wheeler racing, past and present. I certainly have no desire to get into a back and forth argument with you. I read some of your comments and saw how they were not factually true and inconsistent. Two other people seem to agree on some level that your not on the up and up. When someone as highly respected as Mr. Dunlap comes here and basicaly says the same thing I have been saying, that is enough for me. I do not need to sink to your level of insulting someone in an attempt to win the day. It is easy to come on the internet and claim you are this and that. Reading what you have posted, how you react when someone questions you, tells me all I need to know. Sad you can't have a conversation with someone without them stooping so low as to throw out insults. You may or may not be a Kawasaki R&D guy. I could care less at this point. Besides, Kawasaki's are known for being unreliable. Since your information is just as unreliable you just may very well be a Kawasaki superstar.
I only hope the rest of the members on this site are not like you.

Have a nice Day :cool:

Poco Loco
07-07-2013, 04:15 PM
You might be able to fool the fans...but you cant fool the players....
poco loco

Really, 100’s of photo’s from my friends taking photos of me, lol, lol. Since I wasn't Jimmie White or Jeff Ward I can't imagine why they would waste the film, lol. Even if there were, I don’t know where any of those people would be 25 years later. Unlike some, I continued on with life and didn’t remain stuck in the past.

I do, really? I never knew that. I obviously don’t know Jackie Meadows or Tim Helter even though I know of them now, perhaps you are mistaken about who I know, what do ya think?

Do they, really? It’s amazing how much you know about my friends, please tell me more!

Why, lol?

PS - I have a pretty good idea who put you up to this, lol. Ya know, some people choose to be nice and make friends, others don't. Your choice seems clear.

barnett468
07-07-2013, 05:06 PM
poco loco

You might be able to fool the fans...but you cant fool the players....

Correct me if I'm wrong but you NEVER rode a PRO race of any kind in your life from what I can tell by your comments, and your comment appears to me that you might be suggesting you are a "player"! If in fact that's the case, that's ridiculous IMO. Whether I like him or not, Mickey Dunlap was at least a player and helped generate interest in the sport in some way so if you are suggesting in the least, that you are in any way, even remotely near the same level as he is regarding racing knowledge and skill level, I think that might even make him laugh, at least it does me. :lol:

Mickey Dunlap
07-07-2013, 05:55 PM
poco loco

Correct me if I'm wrong but you NEVER rode a PRO race of any kind in your life from what I can tell by your comments, and your comment appears to me that you might be suggesting you are a "player"! If in fact that's the case, that's ridiculous IMO. Whether I like him or not, Mickey Dunlap was at least a player and helped generate interest in the sport in some way so if you are suggesting in the least, that you are in any way, even remotely near the same level as he is regarding racing knowledge and skill level, I think that might even make him laugh, at least it does me. :lol:

Don't be jumping on my band wagon trying to win these guys over. By "Player" I think he means these guy on this forum know more about the 3 wheeling world then myself or any of the old racers put together. They even corrected me a few times on some facts when my mind fartedrtfm,which happen more and more each year.:lol: Some of these guy are on a whole different level as far as knowing the facts and history of 3 wheeling,they eat sleep and live this stuff,big time players.:TrikesOwn

manbearpig
07-07-2013, 05:57 PM
poco loco

http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/k557/proct103/pocoloco_zpseda9912c.jpg (http://s1115.photobucket.com/user/proct103/media/pocoloco_zpseda9912c.jpg.html)

barnett468
07-07-2013, 06:16 PM
poco loco

What no reply at all ??? Are you a ghost writer of fiction novels?..........I might have been born in the night, but it wasn't last night.....Im calling bullsht on all of this.

Hello, Name is Bob. I am an old racer from back in the day. I will see if I can dig up some pictures. Most of them were lost when our house burned down in 96. I think my mom still has some from when we played around on the farm.

Uh oh, it appears poco loco is calling “bullsht” on Rlaymon’s claim that he was “a racer from back in the day” too, simply because he also “suspiciously” doesn’t have any photos of him racing either, unless you want to count the ones he plans to post of himself riding around the farm that his mom has as proof, lol. lol.

I strongly suggest to any members that “claim” they used to race 3 wheelers “back in the day”, that they prove it by supplying at least some photo of someone racing something somewhere or else he will say you’re “bullsht” also, and we wouldn’t want someone of his stature and importance in the professional racing community to doubt you. Oh…, loco, I’m sorry, weren’t you an amateur “racer”, lol.

Wow, this really is bad, even Rlaymon thinks his own story about not having any photos to “prove” he used to race is fishy, :lol:

Rlaymon’s original comments above can be seen in the link below.

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/159411-Old-racer?highlight=Rlaymon

manbearpig
07-07-2013, 07:16 PM
http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/k557/proct103/Untitled_zps4c6ce97a.png (http://s1115.photobucket.com/user/proct103/media/Untitled_zps4c6ce97a.png.html)

hey barnett can you tell me about this bike? i found it in an old magazine clipping

barnett468
07-07-2013, 08:02 PM
http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/k557/proct103/Untitled_zps4c6ce97a.png (http://s1115.photobucket.com/user/proct103/media/Untitled_zps4c6ce97a.png.html)

hey barnett can you tell me about this bike? i found it in an old magazine clipping

Oh, sure manbearpig I'll bite and give you your shot at me, lol. The answer to the best of my knowledge is no I don't think so. That being said, there was a pet project bike built by a very smart albeit slightly goofy engineer named Randy in 83 that we tested against the original T3 prototype for him. I don't remember how it looked exactly but it was a bit cobbled together cosmetically like that one and slightly taller than an orig T3 like that one but it had forks with the axle in the back side like a Honda when I tested it. We tested it one day only in the mountain pass north of Azusa. He quit to make more money working at Taylor Dunn as a "bleepin" golf cart engineer. I don't remember if he took it with him or left it at Kawi.

Ok, it's your turn now.

barnett468
07-07-2013, 08:06 PM
PS

The swing arm on Randy's bike was also different than a stock T3. I personally took it to National Heat Treat in Anaheim to get it heat treated because he had done a bit of welding on it.

barnett468
07-07-2013, 08:16 PM
PS

Randy's bike was an air cooled 250.

barnett468
07-07-2013, 08:36 PM
Mickey Dunlap

Don't be jumping on my band wagon

What Mickey…ya have room for Rlaymon on your wagon [his quote below] but not for me, lol?

When someone as highly respected as Mr. Dunlap comes here and basicaly says the same thing I have been saying, that is enough for me.

Don’t worry you have nothing to fear, I PROMISE not to jump on your band wagon, lol.

I was simply stating what I believed to be some facts regarding your history. I suppose I could have said ‘I think Mickey was this and that” instead of positing it as a fact but that would just seem cheap to me, but have it your way, I apologize for giving you more credit than you feel you deserve, lol.

When trying to win these guys over.

Oh, don’t worry about me, I have a lot more friends here than you might think, plus does it really sound by my responses that I’m trying to win ANYONE over? I could care less, lol. People either like me or they don’t. They either believe me or they don’t. I don’t lose a minutes sleep over it, because unlike some others, I don’t need the recognition of others to feel good about myself. That statement is not directed at you.

By "Player" I think he means these guy on this forum know more about the 3 wheeling world then myself or any of the old racers put together. Some of these guy are on a whole different level as far as knowing the facts and history of 3 wheeling,they eat sleep and live this stuff,big time players.

First off poco loco is new here, so he would have absolutely no idea of what members here know about the “old” days of 3 wheeler racing. Plus I have exchanged a few PM’s with him a few weeks ago when he was getting into an argument with Dougspcs and another member and being a bit sarcastic to them so I happen to know a little more about him than the rest here. See quotes from the exchange below.

Even though some people here do seem to know a lot about somethings I have not been here long enough myself to experience the info regarding old school racing you are referring to but that has been your experience here so I won’t question the experience you have had, however, no one can tell me what I did and did not do at Kawi or what I did or did not see while I was there or whether I raced this or that etc.. This has become the main issue here.

They even corrected me a few times on some facts when my mind fartedrtfm,which happen more and more each year.:lol:

I’m pretty sure that in the cases where they did that, it was in a friendly, respectful, manner, and NOT, like what the witch hunt it has turned into here.

Unfortunately I also understand about fading and/or misremembered memories, lol.

Poco loco: Signed up 5-25, posts below from 6-18 just 3 weeks after signing up.

Make sure that tank is vented too. There is an arrow on the gas cap. When its pointed forward the vent is open. When its pointed to the back the vent is closed.

350x doesn't have that style cap Loco..direct vented cap with rubber hose

Thats funny, both my 350x's Ive owned have an arrow on the cap. I guess you dont have a 350x gas cap or maybe you just confused. Or both...If it doesnt have an arrow, then dont worry about the arrow...duh.

The arrow on the 350x cap has nothing to do with venting... The arrow in there strictly to let you know the cap is on properly. It is a fulltime vented cap, with a rubber hose that goes into the top triple tree.Think twice before " duh " ing an experienced member....

You guys should read the owners guide. Point the arrow to the rear and the vent is closed. Point it forward and the cap vents. I guess both you guys dont know why Honda put that on the cap for. Do you think they put it on there because it looks cool???.....Schools in session boys. Who owns who?....Duh. Do your research, or pull more unaccurate facts outta the air.

barnett468
07-07-2013, 08:58 PM
http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/k557/proct103/pocoloco_zpseda9912c.jpg (http://s1115.photobucket.com/user/proct103/media/pocoloco_zpseda9912c.jpg.html)

I don't understand the point of your post, did you forget your text?

What I see is a yellowed photo showing the right side of an unidentifiable person riding a 3 wheeler in the air in the daytime in some sandy hills with some text at the bottom where someones name and city has been whited out with white out tape or photo shopped badly and member poco loco's name and the city of clap saddle has been inserted, lol. I also see there is no mention of it being during a race.

Shall I find a nice photo of someone riding a bike, cover the original riders name and city [if it is listed] with white out or photo shop, insert my member name in it's place and post it on the site?

Howdy
07-07-2013, 10:07 PM
Barnett, your attitude when you first started posting is what turned so many members to question everything you say. Had you originally posted your name when ask then you might have gained a warmer welcome.
Also, you blasted a long term highly respected member when they ask a valid question. That turned other against you.
As for me: I personally could care less either way. All I know is that a quite a few of the threads your involved in ends in a lot of negative drama. This is because of the things mentioned above. I told you this in a PM or 2. The drama must stop or I will put a stop to it.
Howdy

manbearpig
07-07-2013, 10:14 PM
first, no shot at you. just found an old trike in a mag that looked pre tecate. from your kawi R&D experience, i thought you might know something about that bike, where it came from, and who built it.

second, that picture of the guy on the trike is Poco Loco. photo is in DirtWheels late 80's. i whited out his name and city for his own privacy. from what ive read about you not revealing your real name, you should understand this. there are plenty of people on here can back up the fact that the guy in the pic is, in fact, poco. your claims made it seem like one of my buddies didnt have much knowledge about the 80's racing scene, or of trike racing at all. in response to that, i posted the picture of him in the sports largest (still existing) publication. with this short explanation, that picture should make more sense within the context of the time it was posted in. you're right, the picture is not of a race, but Poco was around and in the racing scene that was goin on in "Clap Saddle" back in the day far more than anyone realizes. best part of it all, hes STILL out on the track haulin ass on 3 wheels.

barnett468
07-07-2013, 10:55 PM
Hello manbearpig

first, no shot at you.

Ok, just checking, you can understand my reservations under the circumstance.

just found an old trike in a mag that looked pre tecate. from your kawi R&D experience,

How do you know I worked at Kawi R and D, that's a hazardous thing for one to say on this thread, lol?

I don't have any photos to prove I even exist! I could be a computer program for all you know.

i thought you might know something about that bike, where it came from, and who built it.

What did the text say about it?

second, that picture of the guy on the trike is Poco Loco. photo is in DirtWheels late 80's. i whited out his name and city for his own privacy.

I never doubted it so why does he doubt me?

from what ive read about you not revealing your real name,

As you probably know by now, no one would know it so what’s the point. All they will say is something like “we never heard of you so you must not have worked at Kawi etc.” I could make up any name and no one could prove if it was correct or not.

you should understand this. there are plenty of people on here can back up the fact that the guy in the pic is, in fact, poco. your claims made it seem like one of my buddies didnt have much knowledge about the 80's racing scene, or of trike racing at all. in response to that, i posted the picture of him in the sports largest (still existing) publication. with this short explanation, that picture

I was responding to first strike unwarranted, unprovoked attacks by him. Read the last post I made about your friend poco. He was sarcastic to other members right off for no reason, what do you have to say to that? How can you defend that? Heck, even my good "friend Mickey was much more civil than both of these guys and everyone knows how much he likes me, lol. You on the other hand are a bit more even tempered and at least seemingly rational than your friend poco and others, but I'm still a bit wary. The post I made about the 10 worlds ugliest trikes you sad "been there done that" because you had seen the post before. It seemed a bit odd and a little unfriendly IMO. All I did was post a link I saw somewhere oither than on the 3ww site, why did simply doing that warrant your reply.

manbearpig
07-07-2013, 11:16 PM
I was responding to first strike unwarranted, unprovoked attacks by him. Read the last post I made about your friend poco. He was sarcastic to other members right off for no reason, what do you have to say to that? How can you defend that? Heck, even my good "friend Mickey was much more civil than both of these guys and everyone knows how much he likes me, lol. You on the other hand are a bit more even tempered and at least seemingly rational than your friend poco and others, but I'm still a bit wary. The post I made about the 10 worlds ugliest trikes you sad "been there done that" because you had seen the post before. It seemed a bit odd and a little unfriendly IMO. All I did was post a link I saw somewhere oither than on the 3ww site, why did simply doing that warrant your reply.

the sarcasm... sh!t, thats just poco loco. everyones sarcastic. its just how you let it rub you.

i would have said "been there done this" in response to anyone posting that thread in particular. again, INTERPRET IT HOWEVER YOU WANT

looks like im yelling... but all i did was click a few options on this nifty little tool bar here. im just sittin here watching the sunset over the pacific ocean without a care in the world. its all in how you want to read it :Bounce

Poco Loco
07-07-2013, 11:56 PM
Well it looks like Dorthy just ran up and slid the curtin open on the "Great Wizard Of Oz". I guess if you cant muster up 1 pic from many years of pro wrenchin and racin and hangin at the pits and riding at the local track with many of the pro or even the low life riders like myself, you might raise a few eyebrows on these tales. So I guess were supose to just have to give you a free pass on all the incredable stories you have enlightened us with...well Im a show me kinda guy...Im kinda simple..Not too flashy....I lil short on the vocab and schoolin. But, I do know when theres sumpin fishy. And let me tell ya... I can smell it.

Poco Loco
07-08-2013, 09:03 PM
Well Mr. Wizard, shame on you for comparing me to Micky. I should reach rite through my monitor and B-slap you one. Yes I never raced pro, but I have smoked a few on the track while racing. At least I can back up my claims with proof. Im not hiding anything. I cant say the same for you.
poco loco

barnett468
07-09-2013, 01:34 PM
By “Player” I think he means these guy on this forum know more about the 3 wheeling world then myself or any of the old racers put together. They even corrected me a few times on some facts when my mind fartedrtfm,which happen more and more each year.:lol: Some of these guy are on a whole different level as far as knowing the facts and history of 3 wheeling,they eat sleep and live this stuff,big time players.

Ok, so Mickey Dunlap says you guys know more than him etc. etc. As mentioned, I won’t question that. Here’s a chance to prove if you are a “Player” by showing how much you know.

Since Mickey Dunlap may know or can guess at least part of the answer and since this is about what you guys know and not about what he knows I hope he can reserve his comments and let you guys figure it out on your own otherwise there’s no point to the challenge. ,

A few also believe that for some reason if I post any photo, of any one, riding any off road bike, it will somehow “prove” I worked at Kawi and I raced the PRO class, etc, etc.

Well, since some of you seem to want it sooooo bad it might keep you up at night, and you are even half as good as Mickey Dunlap says you are, here’s a chance to "kill 2 birds with one stone". The first part is EASY, and ALL you need to do is find one measly photo, and I’ll even give you some HUGE hints as to where to find it. If you can’t figure the first part out with all the hints I have provided I simply don’t know what to say.

Simply finding the photo is NOT the major part of the challenge, since the only thing that will prove, other than I worked at Kawi and raced as a pro according to some of you, is that whoever posts a photo of it simply has WAY too many old magazines lying around.

Also, for the zillionth time, even if someone figures my name out it will mean nothing to them simply because I am NOT famous like Jimmy White or Dean Sundahl, so get over it and give up. How many “names” of Rand D employees from Kawi, Honda, Yamaha and/or Suzuki does ANYONE [besides possibly Mickey Dunlap] know that worked at any of these places from 1981-1988 or at ANYTIME for that matter? I’m just another non famous, working guy, that was fortunate enough to have raced a bit and have a cool job at a cool place, nothing less, nothing more.

It appears that with the exception of Joseph Farrow, Mickey Dunlap and possibly a few others here that no one else is providing their real name. Why not? There also appears IMO, to either be a double standard [hypocritical] or possibly merely a difference of opinion as to whether someone has to post their name so they can “prove” they did this and that, and that they are simply not a computer program. This is evidenced by one member saying “i whited out his name and city for his own privacy.” What’s up with that? See full quote below.

that picture of the guy on the trike is Poco Loco. photo is in DirtWheels late 80's. i whited out his name and city for his own privacy.

It just seems strange to me that someone who claims he raced, and whose friend tries to protect the privacy of, does not disclose his own name yet sounds so vehemently determined to try and force and goad me into telling him what my name is. These things are evidenced by the quotes posted below the “TEST/CHALLENGE”.

TEST/CHALLENGE

Look in your stacks of old National magazines for a photo of 2 Tecates riding side by side. It’s taken of their left side from around a 50’ elevation with a telephoto lens at Saddleback Park and it was about 4-8 weeks prior to the official release of the bikes so now you should know what months to search in. I don’t think the riders names are in the text, and the caption says something like “spy photo of new Kawasaki 3 wheelers at Saddleback Park”.

I am one of the riders so tell me the following:

1. What is my name?

2. What is the name of the other rider?
Here’s a hint, he was a top 10 125 National PRO MX rider from Hollister California around 1981.

3. Are these bikes both the same?

4. Are they concept vehicles built to determine the viability of mfg them, or prototype vehicles, or pre production vehicles or production vehicles.

5. What became of them?

6. Post the photo and accompanying text.

The following are merely a few quotes from this thread. With the exception of manbearpibs post at the bottom which I abbreviated, all are presented in their entirety with no alterations whatsoever.

Poco Loco's photo request starts out benign enough.

My reply

Hello Poco Loco Unfortunately, I never took any because I though there would always be another day to do that if I wanted but I bought a couple from the local track photographer but unfortunately lost them. I just wasn't really one for having pictures of that stuff or myself but I love looking at others. The pictures I do have I can't post, lol.

Then he INSTANTLY gets EXTREMELY negative and abrasive for absolutely no reason whatsoever IMO.

This is before my next reply.

What no reply at all ??? Dude your profile has nothing at all. Not even a shred of information...Hmmm. At least photoshop something....

This is also before my next reply, notice the word “bullsht” in his text.

Are you a ghost writer of fiction novels?..........I might have been born in the night, but it wasn't last night.....Im calling bullsht on all of this.

This is my terrible, horrible, vicious, sarcastic, aggressive, antagonistic, abrasive, evil, wicked, nasty, reply to him after the nice things he said. I guess I should apologize for unnecessarily responding so badly to his “courteous” posts.

Poco Loco's reply

No worries. Im sure all your racing friends will post some pics of you working with all your race teams. There should be hundreds of photos out there. you know everybody. They have all the pics.....Throw us a frickin bone here...

These are Poco Loco's last 2 posts which were made AFTER HOWDY's and AFTER I quit replying to him or referring to him in my posts. IMO these posts are still unnecessarily sarcastic and abrasive etc.

Well it looks like Dorthy just ran up and slid the curtin open on the "Great Wizard Of Oz". I guess if you cant muster up 1 pic from many years of pro wrenchin and racin and hangin at the pits and riding at the local track with many of the pro or even the low life riders like myself, you might raise a few eyebrows on these tales. So I guess were supose to just have to give you a free pass on all the incredable stories you have enlightened us with...well Im a show me kinda guy...Im kinda simple..Not too flashy....I lil short on the vocab and schoolin. But, I do know when theres sumpin fishy. And let me tell ya... I can smell it.

Well Mr. Wizard, shame on you for comparing me to Micky. I should reach rite through my monitor and B-slap you one. Yes I never raced pro, but I have smoked a few on the track while racing. At least I can back up my claims with proof. Im not hiding anything. I cant say the same for you.

He claims to not be hiding anything in his post above, I guess that’s because he has his friends hide things for him as evidenced by the post below. I also never compared him to Mickey, that would be simply incredulous IMO.

that picture of the guy on the trike is Poco Loco. photo is in DirtWheels late 80's. i whited out his name and city for his own privacy.

BTW – I’ve forwarded the above quotes as well as others to one of the sites moderators as they have instructed me to do with posts that I feel are offensive and/or are from other members that make UNWARRANTED, UNPROVOKED, FIRST STRIKE abrasive and/or sarcastic etc. remarks towards me.

Red Rider
07-09-2013, 02:03 PM
Barnett, your posts are too long.

I quit reading most threads you respond to because of this, and all of the drama that results. Your defensive style is very familiar too. It's almost as if you're a previously banned 3ww member, who's returned under the guise of an alias to have some fun. I call BS.

Poco Loco
07-09-2013, 05:33 PM
Jesus Mr. Wizard, you sure are a long winded one.... Out.

Mickey Dunlap
07-09-2013, 07:16 PM
Barnett, please keep me out of your posts. It's not that you didn't work at Kawasaki,or that you don't want people to know your name,it's just the way you talk and act. I know you have always been this way but as old as you are you should be able to see why everyone gives you crap. From those that did know you as "the skinny long blond hair squirrel guy" they are not surprised you still act this way.I know you feel like you have to be Mr. Know it all but it really turns these guys off! Whoops did I give away a hint on which guy you are in the pic? I don't have the mag.,but I remember the pic for some reason.

Mosh
07-09-2013, 08:39 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnLDMqPBeKQ

barnett468
07-09-2013, 09:53 PM
Barnett, please keep me out of your posts.

Hello so and so, I will not mention your name anymore in my posts as you request and I’m not bothered by your request for me to do so. If I slip up it’s only because I forgot. I also have no intention or desire to debate anything with you or ruffle your fesathers.

It's not that you didn't work at Kawasaki,or that you don't want people to know your name,

Well, that's an interesting comment because that was not your opinion the last time we exchanged pleasantries and now you've gone and ruined it for all the doubters that wanted to believe more than anything that I was lying, lol, so something obviously changed your mind since then. I guess you finally reached somebody since then to confirm I worked there because as far as I remember even though my name appears several times in a magazine or two over the years there is no reference to me working at Kawi in any of them, but there was occasionally a few magazine spies around that we always tried to avoid but if they talked to the local riders they might have mentioned something since some of the track regulars new me from my MX days.

it's just the way you talk and act.

That’s your opinion which I recognize you have a right to and I have no desire to argue the point.

I know you have always been this way

Again, no argument or negative remarks from me, but I know that you personally don’t know anything about me so anything you say in this regard is simply info you have garnered from reading and interpreting my posts on the site or by talking to others that know me which again would be their subjective opinion just like the positive opinions my friends have are. If you ever talked to me in person I'm sorry, bit I don't remember it however if that's the case i'd love to know when and where.

as old as you are

Yeah, thanks for reminding me that I’m no spring chicken and not getting any younger, lol.

you should be able to see why everyone gives you crap.

I don’t care what the people that make first strike unwarranted, unprovoked, attacks against me say or think about me. I’ve never been like that and never had any friends that were because I choose to distance myself from people like that. What some people do here, is try and turn around my occasional reply to those attacks ie., abrasive comments etc., around and somehow hope that they can convince others that I was the aggressor. Unfortunately for me that seems to work pretty well for them with others that are either unwilling and/or incapable of forming their own opinion. Also, unfortunately for those that think and/or hope I have no friends I have many PM’s from many new and long time members that see what’s really going on and are supportive of me.

From those that did know you as "the skinny long blond hair squirrel guy" they are not surprised you still act this way.

LOL, Wonder who told you that, it would be interesting to know. I would appreciate it if you would PM but if you don't want to that's fine with me to. It's just kind of fun to know who still might be around from the "old" days since there seems to be fewer of us left as time goes by.

I know you feel like you have to be Mr. Know it all

Again that’s just your opinion which you are positing as a fact. I have no doubt that a few others may share it but ANYONE that really knows me well knows that couldn’t be farther from the truth. You can’t get to know everything about a person simply by reading their comments on the internet.

but it really turns these guys off!

Same reply as above.

Whoops did I give away a hint on which guy you are in the pic?

That’s ok, they still don’t know my name and since it sounds like you probably know it by now, you realize why there is no point for me to tell anyone what it is simply because they wouldn’t know it, much less be able to pronounce it, lol. Also, if you do know it, thanks for not posting it.

I don’t remember the photo well but it would have to be a good size telephoto to blow it up big enough to see my hair, lol. I don’t know if you ever went there but they took it from the top edge of the bowl track where I beat Jimmie and I think Marty Hart and Donnie Luce [sorry, couldn't help but throw that in] in the short track race and got passed by Marty Hart in a TT race there on another occasion, like I was standing still, lol.

I don't have the mag.,but I remember the pic for some reason.

Hey, look on the bright side, your memory isn’t as bad as you suggested it was, lol.

Mickey Dunlap
07-09-2013, 10:45 PM
If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck ,it's a duck.

I talk with a lot of people in the industry because there are a lot of us still in this industry.In talking with them they gave their view of you. Trust me I was being nice the way I said it on here. And no I'm not going to PM you. You told me to ask everyone about you and I did. Did you ever wonder why you were let go,my guess is no because you don't really hear what people are telling you so you really can't understand it. You really have no clue and you are too old to change now.

Yes I raced SaddleBack,I won the championship their for Honda in 84',The Baja Cross,Jimmy got second over all. That was the last race there.

If you want to keep posting your little dribble back and forth then I will give out your name,then they can look into your back ground a little more. I would stop now if I were you,this is not what this forum is for.

Joseph Farrow
07-10-2013, 12:12 PM
Okay back to the OP's question. In the early days you had several different promoters putting on what would be considered Nationals. You had Score/Coyote Racing/Baja Tri Cross (3Wheeling Magazine) and others, mostly located on the West coast. It was not until the AMA/AATVA got involved and started what is now considered National races.
It was up to the promoter to determine the classes. I found a program from the 1983 Off Road USA Odyssey-3 Wheeler Championships at Santa Cruz. It is what was going on at the time in regardes to a National type race.

As you can see there was a "Pro" 125/200/250/Open class. But the main classes thru to the end were the 200 and 250 class both in Amateur and Pro.

You have to remember that back in the 80's it is not like today.... Unless you were a camera freak you really didn't take pictures. Now day's everyone has cameras on their phones.

Here is a picture of Mickey "D" for ya. (He won the Main ahead of Curtis, Marty, and Steve) ;)

Some early Kawasaki Days (Jimmies first season on the Kawasaki)

Also for all you Jackie Meadows fans who thought he only raced Kawasakis. Check out "Big" Jack with Jackies Tricky Dicks Conversion CR Honda.

Mickey Dunlap
07-10-2013, 12:44 PM
There you go,back on track.

That looks like the 218cc I got 6th or something in the 250 class,first non Factory rider. I ran the 18 inch tires to hook up better with the more torque on that one with the Gold rims I think. Honda must have started buying me off by then so I had the gold rims,just didn't go Red yet. lol

xxjessepxx
07-10-2013, 01:02 PM
Okay back to the OP's question. In the early days you had several different promoters putting on what would be considered Nationals. You had Score/Coyote Racing/Baja Tri Cross (3Wheeling Magazine) and others, mostly located on the West coast. It was not until the AMA/AATVA got involved and started what is now considered National races.
It was up to the promoter to determine the classes. I found a program from the 1983 Off Road USA Odyssey-3 Wheeler Championships at Santa Cruz. It is what was going on at the time in regardes to a National type race.

As you can see there was a "Pro" 125/200/250/Open class. But the main classes thru to the end were the 200 and 250 class both in Amateur and Pro.

Thank you for returning to the OG question, and for not actin like an @$$ like some people.(Names won't be mentioned be we all know who, *COUGH* barnett468 *COUGH*) That is the kind of info I was looking for.

PS: Barnett, are you replying to the post or writing a novel? Your posts are LLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN NGGGGGGGGGG

atc007
07-11-2013, 08:20 AM

You have to remember that back in the 80's it is not like today.... Unless you were a camera freak you really didn't take pictures. Now day's everyone has cameras on their phones.

Here is a picture of Mickey "D" for ya. (He won the Main ahead of Curtis, Marty, and Steve) ;)

Some early Kawasaki Days (Jimmies first season on the Kawasaki)

Also for all you Jackie Meadows fans who thought he only raced Kawasakis. Check out "Big" Jack with Jackies Tricky Dicks Conversion CR Honda.

Awesome stuff Joe ! Thanx for posting.My Question is this. How many States did you see the week prior and the week after that pic Mickey? Most will never know the dedication he and many others put into this effort. A TON of traveling.

Mickey Dunlap
07-11-2013, 01:30 PM
Awesome stuff Joe ! Thanx for posting.My Question is this. How many States did you see the week prior and the week after that pic Mickey? Most will never know the dedication he and many others put into this effort. A TON of traveling.

My answer is I don't remember all the states I went through,but the trips always started in Bend Or. I know in 83' I put 32,000 miles on my truck traveling all over the west coast as far as Houston TX., but Powroll drove their van there because they didn't like me going that far by myself. That was also the 3RD race I had gone to with in a short time and the time spent driving and not out riding started to show up on the track,and I couldn't hang on so I got 2nd place. Second place SUCKS!

Living in OR. in 84' was costing Honda too much money in travel,every time they wanted me in Cal. for testing it took me 24 hours to drive there with my bikes. That's why they said I had to move to Cal. for 85'. I liked OR. better then so Cal.,it's a cool place to visit,but I didn't like living there. I had mover to Ventura Cal. in 82' to race,but the cost of living was too high for me at that time to make a living racing. I had a job at Ventura Honda but I was taking off too much time to go racing so they let me go after a long weekend and I didn't get back until Tuesday. I was coming back to tell them I was moving back to Washington so it didn't matter. It was the only job I was ever let go at so it still hurt a little. lol

Went back to Washington to work at another Honda shop,lasted about 4 months before I went to Powroll to get my 200x engine built and ended up calling the Honda shop saying I wouldn't be back.lol That was my last real job working 9 to 5. lol

atc007
07-11-2013, 08:25 PM
+ All the East coast stuff. Fla, Pa, Ny Ohio,,, There's a really good reason there were only a few factory riders. It took almost beyond human dedication. Look at the Awesome racers in this thread alone who never got a factory ride and probably would have loved too !

Mickey Dunlap
07-11-2013, 08:43 PM
+ All the East coast stuff. Fla, Pa, Ny Ohio,,, There's a really good reason there were only a few factory riders. It took almost beyond human dedication. Look at the Awesome racers in this thread alone who never got a factory ride and probably would have loved too !

I didn't go east in 83'. In 84' I went to my first race for Honda in NY. Then to one race in Ia. that I wasn't invited to go by Honda because they said it was to far for me to drive and they didn't have room for my 2 stroke in the trailer. So me being the way I am,I bought a plane ticket and showed up anyway. Then I borrowed one of Powroll's sponsored riders 200x and went out and beat everyone on the two strokes.Just happen to be a better 4 stroke track. Honda wasn't happy with me showing up and then winning against our $30,000 two strokes with a borrowed bike. lol

It wasn't until 85 that we went to OH.,by then I was back on my 200x that you have now. My last race for Kawasaki was in FL.,but I try to forget about that race.

atc007
07-11-2013, 08:51 PM
Fla,,Hey,you can't win em all..AS BAD AS YOU WANT TOO!

Mickey Dunlap
07-11-2013, 09:51 PM
Fla,,Hey,you can't win em all..AS BAD AS YOU WANT TOO!

I hate that saying,some loser came up with that! lol

ylwgtr
07-14-2013, 05:53 AM
the real question is.....did man ever go to the moon?

Keith Salyer
11-07-2013, 03:24 PM
Gosh i'm tired after reading all that.....

Keith Salyer
11-22-2013, 12:07 AM
That Florida race was a trip all the way around. I was winning my heat race with a nice cushion and my motoplat started going south. Rodney Gentry finally got by me and several others before the end. Come main event time I get first choice second row so I lined up on the inside. Before the flag dropped my trike quit again so in the video on youtube Miami 200 two stroke main I am sitting on the sidelines (sucks) watching Mickey and the gang race my race...

Joseph Farrow
12-19-2014, 12:08 AM
Figured I'd dig this tread back up now that "you know who is gone" lol

Had a family friend give my parents some pic's from our growing up days and in them were some Old Three Wheeler Racing pic's.
These are of Me and My Brother from the very early 80's. I'm guessing 80-81. We are wearing the L&W Cycle Shop Shirts. Man these pic's bring back memories.

Josh in FLA
12-19-2014, 11:49 PM

What are the red sleeves on the rear axle and what purpose did they serve?

Thanks,
Josh

Red Rider
12-20-2014, 04:33 AM
What are the red sleeves on the rear axle and what purpose did they serve?They appear to be axle boots. I put some on my '81 110, and they looked bad ass. They served no purpose, but they looked cool. Keep in mind, I was only 17 at the time.

Joseph Farrow
12-20-2014, 06:37 PM
Axle Boots..... They made you go faster, jump farther, win more races..... LOL
Served no purpose other than maybe protecting your axle from ware. BAPP was the one's who started the Axle Boot thing.