PDA

View Full Version : another gas tank thread... but i need help

200bigredrebel
07-03-2013, 02:13 AM
hey guys, i have been looking at some of the older threads on gas tank resto and its got me wondering if my original tank is salvageable. i put fuel in it to see if it did hold and it did. so i decided to paint it. but as time went on it kept popping pin holes in it and i kept patching it up with JB weld... (face palm) well any way, i hope u guys can help me. here are my questions. is the tank still usable or is time to condemn it and get plastic. if it can be repaired what can do to clean it? and what can i do to reseal it. thanks in advance for all the help guys. :)

here are some pics of the tank in the condition it is in now.

my1423
07-03-2013, 02:54 AM
I prefer metal tanks to plastic.
Pretty rough shape!
I would sand blast it.
Seal the big holes.
Do an epoxy sealer inside.
Many have had bad luck with them, but if you clean it as the directions say, and follow directions you can get a very good seal.
Paint it with linex bed liner.
Linex will not bubble if you do get a hole.
Extra exterior seal.
Paint over that to desired color and enjoy for 20 Years.

cepdave
07-03-2013, 07:29 AM
I'm not a "Purist" in that it doesn't bother me to own or see other ATV's with aftermarket plastics. However, I am a purist when it comes to metal tanks. I would never put a plastic tank on my bike, they just look cheesy to me. I would think you could get it repaired professionally for cheaper than the cost of a new plastic tank.

I have a 350X and I see plenty of decent rider quality tanks on Ebay for less than the cost of the new plastic tanks.

TxPowderCoater
07-03-2013, 07:52 AM
I have an 83 and the tank was toast with a million pin holes. I also work with metal and prefer the metal tank buuuuuut,
This one had so many holes in it, just wasnt worth the time to remove all of the bad areas and lay in new metal when I could buy a clarke plastic tank for 250.
Is a well made heavy wall tank and I couldnt be more happy with the fit and quality of construction and best of all, no worrys with leaks and I didnt spend 2 days or more repairing this one.
The most important part, if the purist dont like my bike because of the plastic tank.....it doesn't bother me in the least, I have other things to worry with in life.
The bikes are a lot more fun when you can ride them reliably.
just my .02

200bigredrebel
07-03-2013, 10:20 PM
thanks everyone for the feedback. =) i would like to use my steel tank. i'm just not sure.... :wondering it would be better if the plastic one looked like the actual tank... i curse my empty wallet. lol

SUPERTEX
07-03-2013, 10:34 PM
Soo true i also am up in the air i had to put a plastic tank on my 200e cuz of pin holes but the plastic tank was free anyways, iv been trying to find a shop in town that will repair the metal on it, and iv heard of apple vinegar left in a metal tank for a few days will clean it very well and wont hurt anything.

fastatc70
07-03-2013, 10:53 PM
I had a atc70 tank that had ton of pin holes in it. I sent the tank to a local radiator shop. For 50 bucks they sand blasted the inside and sealed the tank with something called red coat. I got it back and it was done to perfection. Hasn't leaked in 10 years.

200bigredrebel
07-03-2013, 10:54 PM
Soo true i also am up in the air i had to put a plastic tank on my 200e cuz of pin holes but the plastic tank was free anyways, iv been trying to find a shop in town that will repair the metal on it, and iv heard of apple vinegar left in a metal tank for a few days will clean it very well and wont hurt anything.

i think i'm going to have to do this as well. when i get the chance i'll try that apple vinegar. =) question though, do u think it would be safe to put marbles in the tank while the vinegar is in it. or just let the vinegar do the work? its just i notice some crude on the bottom of it. and i don't want it to hit the carb. O.O

200bigredrebel
07-03-2013, 11:10 PM
I had a atc70 tank that had ton of pin holes in it. I sent the tank to a local radiator shop. For 50 bucks they sand blasted the inside and sealed the tank with something called red coat. I got it back and it was done to perfection. Hasn't leaked in 10 years.

i didn't know this either. i get this check out as well. thanks for the info. =)

jimthetruckdriv
07-03-2013, 11:29 PM
I had a bad tank, (Johnson motorsports). Got me some stuff called, Kreem fuel tank liner, its worked for two years now. I used Muriatic Acid to clean it, then sealed it

my1423
07-04-2013, 01:58 AM
To clean the inside vinegar and muratic acid work great.
Both eat aluminum.

Make sure to remove the petcock and seal the hole with a cork ect.
I put drywall screws in the tank and shake to knock all the grime off.
Count them prior to make sure you get them all back.
Tool mag pickups can pull them out.
Marbles maybe hard to get out.

The muratic takes only an hour or less.
Put it in, shake and keep rolling it about.
Wear a mask and stay upwind. Fumes are awful.
Make sure to flush it many times after to get all the acid off.

The vinegar takes time. 1-2 days. That is how I found out about the petcock.
Let my tank sit for 2 days. Came back and it was empty and my concrete had a dark stain.
Ate my valve into 2 pieces.

The radiator shop has dip tanks that will take the tank to bare metal and remove the rust.
They can also braze up the holes and reinforce the seams.
As far as the coating, there are at least 8 brands you can use.
If you do it read the directions several times and follow them.

If you have it done let the shop do whatever they recommend if they have used it before.
Takes some practice with some of the products.
Tank needs to be clean and the directions strictly followed.
Have seen many with botched redkote.
Usually from not letting them dry properly or using opened kit that sat around for several years between kits.

200bigredrebel
07-05-2013, 02:54 AM
thanks everyone again for the fast replies. =) i think i will go to the shop and get a price check. i think its time to leave it to the pros if i can. cause by the way my pics look, my methods just are not working for it.

Howdy
07-05-2013, 07:48 AM
Red-Kote is pretty easy to use and I have found it very durable myself. I spilled some outside on the concrete at the shop about 10 years ago and it's still there just like it was then.

As far as the kreem stuff goes. I bought a couple kits years ago. Followed the directions and the stuff peeled out of the tank. I ended up throwing the tank in the trash. That is just my experiance. Others love it but Not me.
Howdy

SUPERTEX
07-05-2013, 08:11 PM
I was also told about radiator shops from a few older guys in town but most of the good shops have closed sense there time and the ones left do not wish to work on a old gas tank, if i can find a shop that will fix it iv been told this is the best method.

200bigredrebel
07-17-2013, 03:14 AM
update, =) hay guys. i finally got some dollars scrape together and found a radiator shop who still does gas tanks. and the end results are great so far. not a single leak they even sordered the outside too. here are the after pics. what do u think?

kb0nly
07-17-2013, 11:57 AM
If it don't leak no more then whats not to be happy about! LOL

Looks like they sealed the crap out of it, awesome. I have an old school rad shop here to, he hot dips the rads and tanks and it takes off the paint and rust. For tanks he media blasts the outside then brazes all the holes and keeps leak checking it until its done. When i had him do some all i had to do when i got them back was a smoothing of any repairs and a light sanding and primer and paint. Those old shop guys can do this stuff with their eyes closed.

Looks like you got it coated to, did the shop do that or you?

200bigredrebel
07-17-2013, 02:52 PM
If it don't leak no more then whats not to be happy about! LOL

Looks like they sealed the crap out of it, awesome. I have an old school rad shop here to, he hot dips the rads and tanks and it takes off the paint and rust. For tanks he media blasts the outside then brazes all the holes and keeps leak checking it until its done. When i had him do some all i had to do when i got them back was a smoothing of any repairs and a light sanding and primer and paint. Those old shop guys can do this stuff with their eyes closed.

Looks like you got it coated to, did the shop do that or you?

the shop did the red kote too. man i'm so glad that it don't leak anymore it bout brought a tear to my eye. lol its just i thought it would be good post some pics just in case my untrained eye missed something. it is great though that we still have some of old shops still around. cause i didn't know what i going to do if this didn't work out. lol