PDA

View Full Version : Newb rules too tight!!!

cepdave
07-03-2013, 08:28 AM
I joined this forum because I found it to be the most informative 3 wheeler site. While I was browsing, before I joined, I found it annoying that I couldn't even look at pictures unless I joined. I understand the need to keep spammers out, but for goodness sake, lighten up a little. Opening it up to let outsiders have read only access to pictures will only help the site perform better. Random people will look at more pages and spend more time on the site. This will make it even more popular on Alexa and the search engines.:crazy:

Now that I've joined and actually "Read All the Rules", I'm blown away that I can't even offer to sell or trade some completely relevant items that people on this site would want to purchase for two months and after 10 posts. Understand the 10 post idea, I totally get it. Two months though :mad:

All I can say is thank God the veteran members are seem eager to interact with NEWBs in the NEWB forum. :p

I just pulled this motor out of my bike, not sure what to do with it though. :naughty:

Hope everyone has a happy and SAFE holiday. I'm gonna spend some time with the family and try to get my new motor running. ;)

dougspcs
07-03-2013, 10:08 AM
It didn't used to be this way, but you know what they say..it only takes one wanker to ruin the party. The world is full of rules because of the few who lake common sense!

So now every new member has to prove they can behave before they can play with the big kids.

It helps separate the new members from the NEWBs!

Ghostv2
07-03-2013, 10:11 AM
If non members could view pictures and do all this stuff, we would have a lot less members on here. It makes people want to join and forces you to interact thus creating a active community.

As for the 10 posts, i could easily find that do-able within one day without spamming here.

But the two months, its more of gaining trust around here. Would you trust a member with your money when buying an expensive item when he has one post and no profile picture, no information, etc?
Ive owned and worked for lots of forums and sites, so i can understand where they are coming from. :D

TxPowderCoater
07-03-2013, 10:33 AM
I too think its a whack assed set up. It caused me to buy from another source because I wasnt going to wait 2 months before I could write and post where I wanted.
It made me feel like for 2 months I wasnt allowed to sit at the adult table and contribute in threads where I had positive input but as you know, I couldnt post it.
I can see a delay before being allowed to sell on this site to make sure your not a spammer and gain trust, but to make you wait 2 months before you can contribute in the site, just doesnt seem right, wasnt very welcoming at all plain and simple.

cepdave
07-03-2013, 10:59 AM
Kinda like joining a biker club. Do we get hazed before we get "Patched"? :D

Amazon3d
07-03-2013, 11:02 AM
I actually like the waiting period very much. For one, it keeps the new member section quite active and it keeps people from just jumping in getting help then forgetting about the community altogether.
Additionally it keeps out the spam bots for the most part, there are the occasional smart ###'s that come around still but it makes this a better community for having the rules in place.

ScreaminRed
07-03-2013, 11:04 AM
I have no problem with waiting...patience, my friends...:cool:

thestud25
07-03-2013, 11:13 AM
Guys, the "Newb" rules came about because of "Newbs" coming on here and burning people on buying/selling. They also came to pass because of "Newbs" adding
duplicate, triplicate, quadriplicate(I know it is not a word) etc threads because they were too lazy or inept to use the "Search" function(it is not the best). Two
months go by quickly.

Ghostv2
07-03-2013, 11:29 AM
If your really itching to sell some trike parts, just sell on eBay like everyone else. There is a good chance it would be one of us here buying it. The only thing you cant do is post your link here (I think). Maybe there is a way you could share your eBay link, i mean not like you can burn anyone if you go through eBay. Have to brush up on the do's and don't's.

I know you would rather sell here and its better but what can you do, you got to play by the rules like everyone else.
It is what it is.

Billy Golightly
07-03-2013, 12:08 PM
Welcome to the site, enjoy your stay. The new member requirements are a product of over 10 years of running this site and making gradual tweaks and improvements to the process. I believe in quality, not quantity. :)

cepdave
07-03-2013, 12:11 PM
If your really itching to sell some trike parts, just sell on eBay like everyone else. There is a good chance it would be one of us here buying it. The only thing you cant do is post your link here (I think). Maybe there is a way you could share your eBay link, i mean not like you can burn anyone if you go through eBay. Have to brush up on the do's and don't's.

I know you would rather sell here and its better but what can you do, you got to play by the rules like everyone else.
It is what it is.

For now, just a 350X motor which is already on Ebay. I also have two sets of 86 plastics that will go up on Ebay soon. I'm going to refrain from posting the link here because I think the rules pretty much say no. Anyways, it's the 350X Barn Find motor on Ebay, go check it out. :p Maybe a Veteran will post the link for me in the in the proper forum. :Bounce

BTW,,,, I always love a good trade.

"Classified postings (For sale ads) are NOT PERMITTED IN THE NEW MEMBER AREAS!! Wanted ads are allowed, if you are in need of a specific part a veteran member may have it and be willing to help you out. You are absolutely prohibited from posting items for sale until you've reached full memerbship status. Such threads will be deleted and repeat offenders after a warning will be banned"

Bren_downe
07-03-2013, 01:31 PM
I joined this forum because I found it to be the most informative 3 wheeler site. While I was browsing, before I joined, I found it annoying that I couldn't even look at pictures unless I joined. I understand the need to keep spammers out, but for goodness sake, lighten up a little. Opening it up to let outsiders have read only access to pictures will only help the site perform better. Random people will look at more pages and spend more time on the site. This will make it even more popular on Alexa and the search engines.:crazy:
Now that I've joined and actually "Read All the Rules", I'm blown away that I can't even offer to sell or trade some completely relevant items that people on this site would want to purchase for two months and after 10 posts. Understand the 10 post idea, I totally get it. Two months though :mad:

All I can say is thank God the veteran members are seem eager to interact with NEWBs in the NEWB forum. :p

I just pulled this motor out of my bike, not sure what to do with it though. :naughty:

Hope everyone has a happy and SAFE holiday. I'm gonna spend some time with the family and try to get my new motor running. ;)

I wanna hear about the 150x in the the background?!!

captainweezy
07-03-2013, 01:51 PM
I wanna hear about the 150x in the the background?!!
Look again. Just a 350x.

DasUberKraut
07-03-2013, 02:16 PM
Patience is a virtue. We all had to do our time. We did so quietly. Knowing two months of restricted access will pay off with a plethora of knowledge and information for a lifetime.

Something to think about.

You could also just realize that these guys work very hard at running this site. They have families and jobs. They don't need to spend their time fixing problems on 3WW because they implement rules that work. They can enjoy their families and earn a check. Keeping 3WW the hobby it is. Not a chore. Feel free to thank them.

Larry T Moore
07-03-2013, 02:29 PM
I didnt have a prob with it..was a little frustrating but I got it...once i said in the newb what was going on alla Veterans came out and were big helps...in a way its like seeing how bad do you want it

Ghostv2
07-03-2013, 02:36 PM
Well, now that im sure you got a good idea of why we do the things we do here, i want to say welcome to the community. I hope you stick around and enjoy your time here like alll of us do.

JasonB
07-03-2013, 02:38 PM
i think the waiting period should be closer to 2 weeks since that kinda 'breaks' some people but I still see spammers make it on here occasionally. anyways, welcome to the boards, try and be patient. its worth it! in the mean time, go join 3wheeler.org and post over there while you do your time.

Outlaw #24
07-03-2013, 03:11 PM
I still await my time period and have no Problem with it for the various reasons that have previously been stated. I went to TF and have Photo's and videos to post and have posted some of them here. I will save some of that stuff when winter sets in and everything on the site slows down. The people of this site visit the New members thread regularly and are good at responding. You can Also PM the other members here and post your stuff here and PM with the people that are interested and Like I stated If you see something you are interested in Purchasing PM that person. Rules Are Rules abide by them like all of us. Just remember there are No Rules in Outlaw 3 wheeler Racing!!! Have a nice Holiday all. Just so you know I will post here just to keep the new people interested and You will get it here first.

Howdy
07-03-2013, 05:16 PM
Patience is a virtue. We all had to do our time. We did so quietly. Knowing two months of restricted access will pay off with a plethora of knowledge and information for a lifetime.

Something to think about.

You could also just realize that these guys work very hard at running this site. They have families and jobs. They don't need to spend their time fixing problems on 3WW because they implement rules that work. They can enjoy their families and earn a check. Keeping 3WW the hobby it is. Not a chore.
I have spent over 40 hours in the past month alone working behind the scene deleting and finding ways to block "Spammer" accounts. Our total membership on the site has went down ruffly 4000 members ( even I was shocked at the vast numbers of spammers ). To try and keep from deleting Good members I had to find and delete them 1 by 1. Finding them was done via 100's of different searches. I have to keep up the search to find these spammers, but it now is easier for me. The average user don't see most of the spammers ( thanks to most getting caught in the moderating software ). Thanks to some inovative thinking and searching we have limited new spammers to a minimum.
I also found we have ruffly 4-5000 users waiting for email confirmation. w00w!!

I don't get paid to do this ( and I am in no way complaining ). I do this for Love of the sport and the site.

Now back to original rant. We are constantly working to try inovative ways to make things better. The 2 month and 10 post waiting period isn't perfect, but it has helped drastically as before we were also getting spammers in all the public forums. This rule keeps the spammers ( and good members ) into a few forums. It drastically helps finding and removing them. New idea's are being kicked around to modify this rule. But until we figure out a workable solution it needs to remain.

Got idea's? By all means let a moderator know or post in this thread. We try to listen and good idea's originate form the collective members.

Here is a question: Would it be better if we changed it to where every new member needs to be approved before being able to post?
I know of quite a few forums have that. It can be very taxing for moderators, but it's an option. It would stop 99% of the spammers, but it would also slow down the new membership access until they are approved.
FYI, I actually had to wait over a year before I got approved on 1 forum. It is a great forum and I paitently waited. I wasn't dissapointed as it was Well worth the wait!!

Howdy

nlauffer
07-03-2013, 05:30 PM
I'm new to this forum and have found it extremely helpful even if I don't have full rights yet. I wondered about the 2 month deal at first. When I bought my 82 ATC 185s I wanted to find the best place to get help, parts, and trade parts. I found it. Three wheelers are not a 2 week venture for most. If it is, then those people should probably not waste the time of those who have put massive amounts of their own free time and knowledge in here. I am a member of this forum and two Chevy pickup forums. One of those I like way better than the other, because the people in it are friendlier and more helpful. Same here. If I would have been able to jump on here and post within a few days whatever I wanted, I might have used it and left. I have found it a great place to check on daily, though.

nlauffer
07-03-2013, 05:31 PM
Also, I still have a month til my two months are up, but I don't even know what else I would do here. This section has been very helpful as I still consider myself a true beginner in the three wheeler world.

Bren_downe
07-03-2013, 05:40 PM
Look again. Just a 350x.
Damn! Tricked by the glare.

RIDE-RED 250r
07-03-2013, 08:14 PM
I have spent over 40 hours in the past month alone working behind the scene deleting and finding ways to block "Spammer" accounts. Our total membership on the site has went down ruffly 4000 members ( even I was shocked at the vast numbers of spammers ). To try and keep from deleting Good members I had to find and delete them 1 by 1. Finding them was done via 100's of different searches. I have to keep up the search to find these spammers, but it now is easier for me. The average user don't see most of the spammers ( thanks to most getting caught in the moderating software ). Thanks to some inovative thinking and searching we have limited new spammers to a minimum.
I also found we have ruffly 4-5000 users waiting for email confirmation. w00w!!

I don't get paid to do this ( and I am in no way complaining ). I do this for Love of the sport and the site.

Now back to original rant. We are constantly working to try inovative ways to make things better. The 2 month and 10 post waiting period isn't perfect, but it has helped drastically as before we were also getting spammers in all the public forums. This rule keeps the spammers ( and good members ) into a few forums. It drastically helps finding and removing them. New idea's are being kicked around to modify this rule. But until we figure out a workable solution it needs to remain.

Got idea's? By all means let a moderator know or post in this thread. We try to listen and good idea's originate form the collective members.

Here is a question: Would it be better if we changed it to where every new member needs to be approved before being able to post?
I know of quite a few forums have that. It can be very taxing for moderators, but it's an option. It would stop 99% of the spammers, but it would also slow down the new membership access until they are approved.
FYI, I actually had to wait over a year before I got approved on 1 forum. It is a great forum and I paitently waited. I wasn't dissapointed as it was Well worth the wait!!

Howdy

^^^there you have it, from someone who knows first hand^^^

Another angle I see to it is this... I have been here a little while now, but I don't consider myself a "veteran" really. I have seen the new member rules weed out other forms of riff-raff that we really don't need or want here. Some folks have signed up and proceeded to jump right into stirring crap up, thumbing their noses to the folks who provide us with this board, etc... They end up getting run off right here, problem nipped at the bud.

And yes, many of us who aren't newbs swing in here daily, and multiple times a day.. I do. I like to help when and where I can. I would say pretty much every member here wants to help and is glad to do it...

It's surprising to me how many people jump in here who have never owned a trike, ever.. People like me who were around back in the hey-day. SO they have a little mid-life crisis and buy that trike they always wanted when they were a kid or whatever thinking they have little chance of finding good parts that it needs or things like that. Then they find this place!

So you can't buy/sell or post any place other than here for 2 months.... Don't sweat the small stuff man! :beer

EddyO
07-03-2013, 11:29 PM
Hi this is my first post. This site has become one of my favorite stops every day. Got my first 3 wheeler an 1983 Honda ATC 185S back in 83. Still have the 83 and have added 2 1985 250R's to the stable within the last year. I am okay with the rules as I know a lot of work goes into maintaining a site like this and you have to respect that. Hopefully I will get some more posts up and gain more access for when I start my rider and resto builds. Thanks to all the members who have responded to my PM's it makes you feel welcome!! Ed O

Poco Loco
07-03-2013, 11:38 PM
As a newbe, veteran rider racer, I love the waiting period. I have to sit on my thumb for 2 months. Ive seen so many post were it,s "i've been there and i've done that and i have good advice for this guy" but when i click on reply....nope your a newbie dumb ass without an opinion. Well i guess this guy can do without my help. Oh and the guys that need parts that i have, good luck. Im puttinn them on ebay or "that other forum" you know, the one with no waiting period. Keep the probation in force. Love it.....And theres lots of sherriffs here too to slap you in line when you prove them wrong. Huh. You know who you are. Love ya, loco