PDA

View Full Version : Honda 250es starter reduction gear broken. Help!!!

hheywire
07-04-2013, 07:59 PM
I just bought a bigred 250 and the one way bearing is bad and because of that when the engine kicks back it has nothing to slow it down except the starter
gears. my reduction gear has teeth missing and my little gear on the starter has some chewing but not too bad. I would like to find a reduction gear that's less
expensive. Everywhere I look it's over $100!!! Why is it so expensive, it's just a little gear! So if anyone knows a sight that is more price friendly please let me
know. Also I need to know, the gear that is one the starter motor shaft, is it a separate part from the shaft or are the teeth cut into it? I would like to replace it
too. Does this mean new starter motor? :(

barnett468
07-04-2013, 08:33 PM
Hello hheywire

Until someone else comes to help you, you can find the part numbers in the fiche below and enter the numbers in your computers search engine followed by the word honda and see who has them for sale. Try partzilla along with Ebay and the other vendors we already gave you.

http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-atc250es-big-red-1985_model18563/partslist/

jeswinehart
07-04-2013, 08:34 PM
Heyward, give Ben a shout via pm, I am thinking he may have what you are wanting. He has a posting up on page 2 of the classiefieds about parting out a 85 Bigred.
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/member.php/24830-just-ben

john

kb0nly
07-04-2013, 08:46 PM
If you go to my manuals server and get the 250ES service manual it shows the starter and reduction gears on page 127 of that pdf file. As for the starter, the 250ES has a machine gear output shaft on the starter sadly, not a gear on a splined shaft like the 200's did, so if that gear is chewed up even the slightest i wouldnt risk it messing up the reduction gear any. You can get brand new aftermarket starters for the 250ES for under $50 on ebay, last one i bought was like $42 shipped.

Also the motor spinning the starter over will take out the bushings and the brushes in the starter from spinning at higher than normal speeds as well, so make sure your one way clutch is working properly before replacing the gears!! They are hard to come by, which is why they are spendy. I see sets on eBay all the time though, and i am sure there is some guys on here that have some hoarded away that might sell a set.

hheywire
07-04-2013, 09:34 PM
Thanks for the input yall. I PMed ben and am waiting for his reply. As for the starter I think I am going to replace it just the fact the gear is chewed a little. Also I found a new
one way bearing for 50 bucks on ebay. Still looking for a reduction gear cheap but still no luck. I'll keep yall posted on what happens. Another thing, is there some sort of
compression release on the 250es. It seems like it should for how tight the compression is. I cant find anything to release it.

jeswinehart
07-05-2013, 06:04 AM
Nope, no compression release.

SUPERTEX
07-05-2013, 09:39 PM
Yep there is no compression release, and good luck on the one way bearing im going to be replacing mine on my 250es bigred in a few months after the rain stops here, let me know how it went.

just ben
07-05-2013, 11:00 PM
I do have starter gears but it looks like there is 2 gears for the reduction ,I was only able to find one and the shaft. I may have the other gear but will have to do some more digging. I also have a good oem starter.

SUPERTEX
07-05-2013, 11:10 PM
I just bought a after market starter for my 250es off of Caltric, they have all kinds of nice parts for cheap, and that doesn't mean there cheaply made either.

Bought a few carbs and stators off them too here is there ebay store http://stores.ebay.com/CALTRIC?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

hheywire
07-10-2013, 02:01 PM
Sorry I haven't been keeping up with my thread here. Been kind of busy. I will take some pictures when I break open my 250es, and keep yal posted on how it comes along.

hheywire
07-14-2013, 04:11 PM
I'm ordering the one way bearing for my big red tonight. I plan on breaking into the clutch side of the motor as well. I would like to know what other hondas used the same clutch plates for the manual clutch.

hheywire
07-17-2013, 06:02 PM
UPDATE. Ok the new one way bearing should be in by tomorrow. Today I set the valve lash on intake and exhaust which both were way off and really loose. Still haven't gotten a new starter reduction gear. Ben hasn't gotten back to me on weather or not he found one. He said he's got a new starter though. Tomorrow I should have the new one way
bearing and have the bike up and going tomorrow night.