PDA

View Full Version : Need a New Clutch, What now?

cepdave
07-05-2013, 09:07 AM
All I can say is thank goodness I got a good deal, as everything you buy on CL is usually at the very best embellished, if not a straight up lie.

Anyhow, I recently purchased a mostly stock 85 350X in unbelievably good condition for a great price. It came with two sets of plastics from an 86 and a spare motor that was "never started". The guy told me the motor was rebuilt for racing, had a 410 kit in it as well as a cam. It also came with a brand new 400ex carb.

SWEET! I take out the old motor which was in amazing condition and list it on Ebay. I then install the new motor. The sale also came with a new oil filter. I decide to check the filter to make sure it's at least there and that it's not installed in the wrong direction. Much to my surprise, the oil is BLACK!!! I change the oil and filter and wonder who builds only the top end of a motor and doesn't even crack the case open to at least see what inside. If I was building this motor, I would have also changed the clutch and made sure everything was okay on the bottom end.

Anyhow, I installed the new motor. It took me some time to get the carb right and get the decompression cable sorted out. I noticed when I installed the clutch cable that it was nice and stiff and also that it was at the end of the cable. I thought this was a good thing, though I was worried that it seemed the clutch was not fully engaged.

When I got the bike running, I took it for a ride. First thing I notice is that the clutch doesn't grab until the lever is almost completely out. Then I notice that it's slipping in all gears.

I searched the archives of the forum and found most of my answers. I have pretty much committed myself to installing a new clutch next week. Before I do that, I just want to make sure I'm not doing something dumb.

I saw a thread that said the clutch cable is different from 85 to 86, though it's not exactly clear what is different. I "WAS" almost positive the motor I took out was the original 85 motor and that the cable was also the original clutch cable.

From searching the archives, I'm now thinking the motor I took out may be an 86. The serial number is TE08E-5003831. Can anyone help me confirm this?

My worry is that I will replace the clutch only to find out I'm having the same problem because I don't have the proper motor/clutch cable combination. The new motor seems to have the same clutch lever configuration as the original motor. The serial number of the new motor stats with TE08E-XXXXX, I can't see t he rest of the serial number unless I take the header off.

Hope everyone is having a GREAT long holiday weekend!

TIA
David

dougspcs
07-05-2013, 09:44 AM
The differences between the 85 & 86 cables are slightly different length..I had this issue once also.

But that being said, assuming you've checked the cable free-play, you definitely need a clutch. Also from experience I'd tell you to choose nothing but OEM..

You sure it was a great idea to sell the original motor? If that 'rebuilt' motor isn't what the guy says you'll be kinda stuck!!

Open the side cover and have a look-see to make sure of no surprises in the bottom end..then do the clutch and see where it takes you. Personally if I had a 'spare' 350x motor I wouldn't sell it..I know making back some money on you buy is great, but try finding one in 3-5 years when you really need one!!

You sure would be happy to have a shelf motor then!!

Oh yeah, have an impact ready when you do the clutch and you won't need the 'special tool' to hold the clutch basket from spinning..you be able to hold it with you hand. The rest is all standard hand tools..

cepdave
07-05-2013, 10:08 AM
Wooohoooo... I think I solved it.

The old motor was indeed an 85 and sure enough the new motor is an 86. I need to either put an 85 lever on the case or get an 86 cable. The motor has all the 86 clutch brackets, so I think I'm gonna go down that road since my 85 cable got burned by the headers.

I would really like to hang on to the old motor, but need the money to fund the rest of the project. The new motor runs BADASS!!!! so I'm going to stick with that one. Also the old motor is absolutely perfect, so hopefully someone will do a full on restoration with it.

Cheers!
David

dougspcs
07-05-2013, 10:11 AM
Put up your link to the eBay item!

barnett468
07-05-2013, 11:07 AM
Hello again cedave

Glad to see you got it running, hope your leg feels better now, lol.

As mentioned, if your cable has free play and is not binding your plates are most likely bad. If you want, you can install new 4 stroke oil for wet clutches and see if that helps, but I wouldn’t hold my breath, lol.

I personally would buy either original fiber clutch plates or a “high perf” kit from Barnett clutches unless someone has had a bad experience with the Barnett's. They used to be good way back when but now everything has to be made out of "organic" material and that stuff is junk. You can probably reuse the metal plates providing they are smooth and flat however I would sand them with 600 wet/dry paper to remove any glaze. There is a minimum thickness spec in the manual for them. See link below. In your case I would buy the Barnett clutch springs in the link below irregardless of what plates you buy.

Any of the following original Honda numbers are correct. 6 plates are required.

22201-HA5-670
22201-KA3-712
22201-KAE-OOO

OEM FIBER PLATE ITEM 5, $16.90 ea

http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-atc350x-1986-usa_model7193/partslist/E++06.html#results

OEM FIBER PLATE ITEM 4 22201-KA3712, 2201-KAE-000 $11.75
http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Honda/ATV/1992/TRX250X+A/CLUTCH/parts.html

BARNETT COMPLETE KIT $108.00 P/N 303-35-10005

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CLUTCH-KIT-TRX250X-TRX300EX-ATC350X-3-Wheeler-Barnett-NEW-QPS-/380650964111

BARNETT HEAVY DUTY CLUTCH SPRINGS

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-ATC350X-XR250-New-Barnett-Heavy-Duty-Clutch-Spring-Kit-TRX250X-350X-XR250R-/290844884738

ORIG MANUAL If the link doesn't work then go to one below.

http://www.kb0nly.info/ATC/index.php?dir=ATC350X%2F

OSCAR MAYER OEM MANUALS

http://www.oscarmayer.net/atc/manuals/

HairyJR
07-05-2013, 11:24 AM

I agree with dougspcs, if you plan on keeping your toy and riding, you'll need those engine parts later, there already paid for right now....:idea:

barnett468
07-05-2013, 11:34 AM
Hello dave

The part numbers on the clutch arm AND left side case are different between 85 and 86. Someone here migh know if you need to change the case too for the other arm. Look them up in the link I gave you on original parts fiche.

The black oil is still not an encouraging sign.

Howdy
07-05-2013, 12:02 PM

I'm thinking it's this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/All-Original-Honda-ATC-350X-OEM-Motor-Engine-BARN-FIND-/111111928652?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19dec97b4c&vxp=mtr#ht_1537wt_1162

Howdy

cepdave
07-05-2013, 02:13 PM
that's the one